Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
early 90s Teton 34' 5th Wheel, know issues?

Hey folks, in my plan to eventually get a larger trailer to use as home and switch the camper back to use for travel. As I was browsing the used trailer ads, I came across a 1991 34' Teton 5th wheel with the one big wall slide.

Odds are the trailer is far too big to move with my current 3/4 ton truck, but I have friends with a dually 1-ton that has a 5th wheel hitch.

My interest comes in the fact that the current asking price for the 5er is $6500, which is probably a bit high, but the fact that it was in the 4 digit range for its size was what got me interested.

So, now to the main question, were there any big problems, issues that were known to crop up with the older teton 5th wheels? Do they use 50 amp or 30 amp service? I haven't had a chance to go south and look at it yet, given that its 60 odd miles away.

Personally, I'm more inclined to get a 24-30' TT to use as a home base, because I simply need to get a brake controller and LDH to pull it with the truck, so I could use either the camper or the trailer if I wanted to for travel. Where as the 5er would need a second pickup truck.

But, for the price, that was a mighty nice looking 5er. And the big master bedroom would definitely be a plus.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any trailer of that age can be expected to see the following problems.
Frig
A/C
Leaks and rot
Slide mechanics
Landing gear motors

Ken

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Any trailer of that age can be expected to see the following problems.
Frig
A/C
Leaks and rot
Slide mechanics
Landing gear motors

Ken
Sounds like the usual list, I was more interested in if there was any major well known issues, like the Dometic Fridge recalls for example. I rather liked the Teton because of the big one piece fiberglass nose and rolled over the edge rounded roof. Having went through over 300 odd used campers to find the truck camper that I now use, I'm fairly familiar with the basics of used rigs.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RedNeck, I have not heard of any known issues with Tetons in general. They seem to be a pretty solid built RV and with maintenance, should be OK.

As for the frig, recall, you will need to get the model number and serial number and check the manufacturers site for information.