Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #1

Got my new 5th-wheel and needed a notched tailgate for easier hook-up. The dealer sold and installed a CustomFlow tailgate. When I tried to remove it to use my stock tailgate and Truxedo soft Tonneau cover when not towing I found out it's really hard to remove, not in 3 minutes like the stock Ford tailgate.

Ar ethere any EASY removable notched tailgate on the market?

Thanks,

Camper Kitty Cali
Myotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #2

Got my new 5th-wheel and needed a notched tailgate for easier hook-up. The dealer sold and installed a CustomFlow tailgate. When I tried to remove it to use my stock tailgate and Truxedo soft Tonneau cover when not towing I found out it's really hard to remove, not in 3 minutes like the stock Ford tailgate.

Ar ethere any EASY removable notched tailgate on the market?

Thanks,

Camper Kitty Cali
Old 01-13-2005, 05:53 PM   #3

I have the one shown on the tp of the page at http://www.strombergcarlson.com/page4.html. It pops right off just like the stock one (but is a lot lighter). I also like that I can see behind the truck when backing into a parking spot.

Here's a pic of the truck with the tailgate installed. http://www.klenger.net/dodge/picture...d-Tailgate.jpg
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #4

Some of us worry that they are too easy to remove and put a hard to access aviation clamp around the lift out hinge. Have read about easy to remove tail gates disappearing from parking lots. Unlike you, I have no reason to swap mine back and forth. FWIW. Bill
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I received the V Net 2000 for 5th Wheels for Christmas 3 years ago and am using it on the second truck with satisfaction.

http://www.acmetruckparts.com/cgi-bi...05011413563442

Installation requires that 4 holes be bored and plastic grommets put in them, about 30 minutes work. And the cost is right.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:08 AM   #6

take a look at
http://www.desoto.net/users/ed-andre...ate/index.html
on and off in 15 seconds or less and under $40

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:38 AM   #7

I have a used Stromberg-Carlson gate for sale if interested. I also have had it Line-X'd. Will sell for $200 and you pay the freight!.
Leave a not if interested. It is notched and installs just like the stock gate.
Chet
Old 01-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #8

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond to my post. I apprecaite all the good pointers and information I received. I will take my research from here and am sure I'll find a solution preety soon. This is a GREAT forum and has helped me to answer several of my RV questions over time.

Best Regards,

Camper Kitty Cali
Old 01-16-2005, 05:14 PM   #9

I have the Stromberg Carlson Louvered tailgate. It's the second one down on this page http://www.strombergcarlson.com/page4.html It is on and off in minuets and has a nice custom look. Just a word about the manufacturer. I've had this tailgate 6 years on two different trucks. When one of the snaps broke last year, I contacted them to try to buy a replacement. They wouldn't sell me one. But they did send me two for free. That's the kind of service that will keep me using their products.

Tom
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #10

ParTheCourse - how much bother is it to remove your V-Net - like to get to stuff in the bed. Do you need to drop the top part down to get to your electrical connection for example. My plug is in the rear of the bed. Any down sides that you've noticed thus far? One thing I've been wondering about is whether its bad not having the tailgate to give the bed box lateral stability. Trucks nowdays aren't quite as robust as they have been in years past! I've been thinking of buying a V-Net - mostly because they are so light and I'd like to get the tailgate weight off my truck when I'm towing.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fiver Driver:
take a look at
http://www.desoto.net/users/ed-andre...ate/index.html
on and off in 15 seconds or less and under $40 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you give me the total URL to the site where I can look at the kit you mentioned in your above message? I went to the link you provided and it only shows the price and pictures but nothing about how to order one.
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #12

What kind of clamp? What do they look like?Are they like a rad type clamp? Please inform us uninformed none fly boys Thanks in advance.John <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moby Bill:
Some of us worry that they are too easy to remove and put a hard to access aviation clamp around the lift out hinge. Have read about easy to remove tail gates disappearing from parking lots. Unlike you, I have no reason to swap mine back and forth. FWIW. Bill <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #13

I have a gate from Camping World that did not remove quickly either. I cut a notch in the right-side "cup" like the stock gate using the Dremel cutoff wheel. Now it works like the stock gate. I use a hose clamp around the cup to slow down the thief.
Dave

Carri -- '05 Carri-Lite 36KSQ
Dualy Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:12 AM   #14

Tundra - I built this, it is not a kit

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote