Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your setup looks very solid, but 2 observations; If the wind is strong enough (just a single strong gust will do it) then regardless of how strong your frame is, the material will rip and come apart. And it will take a lot of effort and time to retract yours if that wind DOES come up! Also, your "claw" stake setup wouldn't work in soft sand like encountered at the beach or Glamis nor would they work on paved surfaces.

I'll bring mine in if the wind starts kicking up; it's not really that big of a hassle. I applaud your ingenuity, though. But as egwilly said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
it's not nice to fool mother nature!

Wind always wins.

Don't ask.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #16

My freind who developed the awning poles also made the brackets to hold the poles....he since has retired, so my take on brackets would be to use 3/16 thick aluminum channel to fabricate your own and 1/4" stainless button head bolts with nyloc nuts......the top pole brackets use the factory bolt and you add the bottom hole and nut/bolt.......bottom bracket could be made from 1" wide x 3/16 thick strap aluminum and pop riveted to arm
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #17

Takes just long enough to release the ratchet straps to retract awning and release the deflapper knobs......and for pavement, 2 buckets full of water works up to a point, and I have been known to use a picnic table.....lol my awning material has withstood higher winds than what I posted, but I was experimenting on it's toughness..... the weak spots in the material is the sewn seams as the sun does it's job....and, yes, also have to use what isn't so common anymore...common sense! lol........there are approx 400 sets of poles being currently used
Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Does everyone retract their awning when the wind blows?.....Why?.......
Granted there may be regions where one might be inclined to leave their awnings out un-attended, we've not been there.
Perhaps it's wintering in the SW desert, or witnessed evidence & insurance claims in the PNW. Think the highest noted has been $12K when the awning frame went over the coach onto the adjoining site w/parked truck, via the coaches' rooftop A/C unit. Expensive day-trip.
We never leave our awnings out without awake / adult supervision.
To each their own.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #19

M/H with full body paint little different too! There's where the common sense plays in....lol.......and I never mentioned leaving it unattended.....my weather station also has adjustable warnings.....I would think a motor home should be equipped with an anemometer to retract the awning if wind can up....
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #20

If your not going to be around the camper, pull the awning in. It's the cheapest insurance one has. Been caught off guard too many times away from the RV when wind kicks up.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #21

So, when you go two sites away, you retract your awning....just in case?.......That's why this mod came about, so we could visit and not worry about the awning in a slight wind....
Old 06-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #22

I'm talking about leaving the campground. If your close and can close it before any wind blows, then it stays out. We've been lucky with awnings and never destroyed one, yet.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
If I can anchor mine down, I don't worry. If I can't I close it.
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Does everyone retract their awning when the wind blows?.....Why?.......
Yes.....3300$ later....yes
rexasarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many years ago, while at Pigeon Forge, TN., on a beautiful calm sunny day, we decided to go out for lunch. A small shower rolled through the area while we ate, but it was beautiful again after about five minutes. As we approached our coach, my wife ask if I had rolled up the awning. The tied down awning pulled up, ripping the fabric, it and the support rods, went accross the top of the coach and luckily took out only two vent covers. The next three days were spent arguing with insurance adjustors and waiting for visits of the repair person for estimates and installation. Have not left it extended at night or while not around since. Another coach had a support pole go over their coach and through the side of a travel trailer. Luckily the trailer was unoccupied.
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #26

On another note about damage. I am having my house painted so I moved my trailer across the street between two big pine trees. Fairly close to each but enough room. While pulling back out in the same straight line as I went in with the awning just clipped one tree just enough to tweak the arms about six inches. (%#**) I said. New trailer, I have only slept in it one night. Don't know if I can straighten them or have to buy new arms.
Sonofagun!!
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:39 AM   #27

Very nice looking Mod, Bob!

Once you've had that middle of the night retract with really high gusts, and your awning doesn't go back in true/straight either, I still will play chicken-azz and press the button or remote and retract it in nightly. Pretty cheap and easy insurance, of course extended happy hours may dictate that I forget to do this too!
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #28

Ha! For that very reason is why I decided to add lights to the poles....kinda like channel marker lights.... navigational aids!

Tags
awning