Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Electric Brake Installation Standards

I'm having some electric brake issues on my 2014 Forest River Wildcat 327CK FW. I know I can buy the RVIA standards for about $100, but I'm trying to avoid that at this time. Does anyone know if there's a site online where I can research or post and receive specific answers for a particular standard?

For example, I am experiencing random and uncontrolled braking. Whilst crawling under the unit, I noticed the electric brake wires are zip-tied to the springs. I'm fairly sure that's not an acceptable installation; in fact, I think it's prohibited to attach electric wires to part of the running gear, but it would help if I could point to a specific section of the installation standards/practices in my ongoing discussions with Forest River.*

I know uncontrolled braking signals could also be a TV issue, but I just had the truck checked out by Ford and they say the truck end is okay. This is just one of several poor manufacturing issues I've had with this unit. Anyone have a bright ideas? Thank you.*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150805_084402.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	102143  
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

You are right, brake wiring should never be attached to suspension parts. They should be attached to the axle, leaving just enough free wire run to the magnet wiring.
In a perfect trailer wiring diagram, all wires are the same length, one 10 ga wire(slight over-sizing) coming from trailer plug runs down center of trailer, then 12ga branch wires run to each magnet. None attached to anything that may chaff or pinch wiring.
In the real world the main wire is ran along one side of the trailer frame, that sides magnets are wired into the main, which then runs across (or inside) an axle to the other sides magnets. Bottom line, each magnet pulls 3A, wire sizing must be large enough to handle the total Ampere draw without creating high resistance.
I cannot point to the RVIA standard though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

RVIA standards won't help with that, but common sense will. Way too much extra wire (it appears) and as mentioned above--wire tie to axle with enough extra to account for axle movement. And, yes, all wires should be the same length, but that is never the way it is done.
Is this the way it came from the factory? If so, FR strikes again. If you have had some brake work done, then maybe someone else did it.
Why not locate a reputable mobile tech and have him look at it?
When you say 'random' do you mean when applying the brake, or at any random time?

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow.. that's ridiculous.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, install