Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #127
Commercial Member

Mikell
I have a family member that has a 15 amp electric cord hooked to one receptical inside of his camper that he plugs in his portable heater to. I have a 50 amp service to my camper from the factory. I do not need any extra electric cords pluging into the campground electric pole. I have two A/C units and I feel that the cost of replacing both of my units with heat pumps this would cost a lot more money. Now that this system is being sold direct to the public it will become very cost effective. You will save on the labor. My heater cost me under $750.00 dollars. I feel that not having to worry about two to three portable heater's being used during our winter camping trips is worth this upgrade. I plan to full time out of this camper in the future and by that time it will have paid for its self. I will be installing solar panels in the future also, for my future full timing camping. I look at these upgrades as future investment to my fulltime camping life to come. I don't think that my camper is using any more electricy during the winter than the summer time. My camper has a 50 amp service and I never hook any extra electric cords to the CG electric pole. The cheap heat system is only drawing 20 amp on a 30 amp disconnect so that leaves 30 amps for the rest of the camper electric needs. It's not my fault that my camper didn't come with heat pumps in my A/C units,but I can upgrade it to be more cost efishent.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #128

CheapHeat ordered

Paw and others,
I am a new user here and have been following this thread. I am also a new RV owner. I just ordered my CheapHeat upgrade and it will be here Thursday. I can't wait. Winter is comming and I just did not want to deal with getting gas during the winter. I am so happy; someone here has installed on of these. I have been going over the instruction Mr. Larry emailed me prior to getting the unit. Question Paw did you have to use a fish tape for any of the wiring in you RV? I'm installing this into a 38' Kountry Star, any suggestions on saving heartaches I may run into?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #129
Commercial Member

Okiejim

Do you have 50amp service. I ran my 30amp service to the disconnect all the way to the rear of my camper at the 50 amp connector box plug. I wish I would of hooked up to the intrance side of the main breaker box next to the intrance door of the camper. This would of saved me on 220 volt electric wire and conduit piping. My camper was open and I did not use a fish tape. This system is a great addition to my camper and it performs better than the gas unit. I used a bunch of tie straps to secure all the electric wiring. I was able to install this system into my camper with out disconnecting and removing the gas unit. I'm very happy for you and I know you will be impressed with the operation of this system. It took me about 15 hours to install, this was over three days. Working after work the first two nights and finished up on Saturday. This is going to be my second full winter with the Chep Heat System, I'm a very happy camper!!!!! Good Luck and if I can be any help let me know.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #130

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiejim View Post
Paw and others,
I am a new user here and have been following this thread. I am also a new RV owner. I just ordered my CheapHeat upgrade and it will be here Thursday. I can't wait. Winter is comming and I just did not want to deal with getting gas during the winter. I am so happy; someone here has installed on of these. I have been going over the instruction Mr. Larry emailed me prior to getting the unit. Question Paw did you have to use a fish tape for any of the wiring in you RV? I'm installing this into a 38' Kountry Star, any suggestions on saving heartaches I may run into?
When you install your new Cheap Heat, please be sure to take plenty of pictures of the installation process and post them here.

Whether or not you need a fish tape depends on where you install the cheap heat and what obstructions are between it, the power source, and where you install the gas/electric switch. If you put the switch beside the thermostat (the most intuitive location for easy access), you will probably need a fish tape to get the cable up through the floor to an opening in the wall by the thermostat (the easiest route in most cases).
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #131

Thank you both for the encouragement. Yes I do have some wiring obstacles to deal with. I will need to fish alot of the wiring in the MH. Under the floor is a great idea I did not think of that. I will look and see what I can do. I will take some pics for you guys also. My thermostat is mounted on the side of the cabinet and I believe the wiring is running under the bottom shelf and there is a false bottom to the cabinets that I will have to remove to see the wiring. I will keep you informed. Thank you again.