Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
Commercial Member

GoGreen

Contact me on my personal E-Mail and we can talk about if I could help you with the installation of this system. Look forward to hear from you.

The more I think of Palpatine's comment. Maybe we ought to ask the CG for a cut in their prices during winter due to not needing so much electricty because the two A/C units are not running.I think I'm right they have only one price per night charge ( same price summer or winter ) Happy Trails!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #30

Thanks Paw John. I'll be waiting to hear about your experience with the Comfort System after your first winter with it. I talked to mister Larry and he's located about 60 miles from our home base. He could not sell me a unit directly but gave me a contact of a dealer that I could purchase it through. Very nice people. Thanks again for your informative posts and enjoy the heating options that you now have available.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #31
Commercial Member

I will keep every body up to date on this system's ability to heat my camper duing this coming winter. I live in southern Louisiana and we are having bad weather, strong winds and rain from TS Lee.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #32
Commercial Member

10/22/2011 Had three of the Grand Kids over for a camp out Saturday night. We started a camp fire and roasted hot dogs and marsh mallows. the Grand Kids injoyed them selves. I had a chance to use my new heater and it worked great. It only got to the low 50's. I will be trying it again when the temperture drops below 32 degrees. Will keep every body up to date.

Happy Trails
Old 11-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Just and update. We camped with the Grand kids and enjoyed our selves. We did use the heater during the night and something I noticed while sitting out side under the canapy was when the heater was running there was no bad heated propane gas smell and heat coming from the exhaust port of the heater. This is a good thing because before I had to watch what I put in front of the heater port and when you sat in front of it, the smell was bad. I'm keeping the heater set at 54 degrees at this time and when I went into the camper this morning around 6:00 am it was very toasty. the temp this morning was 45 degrees. Hoping to go out camping the weekend after Thanksgiving at Palmetto Island Louisiana State Park about 20 miles from the house. Will let every body know how the heating unit is doing.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Just to let every body know that the temperture is finally dropping to the mid 30's tonight. I slid out the slides this morning before leaving for work and set the temp to 55 degrees. I will sleep in the camper tonight and set the heater unit to 68 / 70 degrees and will let you all know about my first night in the camper with the new heater unit. I'm hoping the wife will join me tonight.

Happy Trails
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #35

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
Just to let every body know that the temperture is finally dropping to the mid 30's tonight. I slid out the slides this morning before leaving for work and set the temp to 55 degrees. I will sleep in the camper tonight and set the heater unit to 68 / 70 degrees and will let you all know about my first night in the camper with the new heater unit. I'm hoping the wife will join me tonight.

Happy Trails
Thanks, Paw John. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #36
Commercial Member

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It feels so go not to have to be wraped up in a blanket and Three extra heaters on. I set the heater at 68 degrees and the camper stayed very warm. the temperture dropped to 36 degrees and the inside of the camper was perfect. when I got out of the bed the floor and inside temp was toasty. I stayed in shorts and short sleeve shirt the whole time I was inside the camper. This system worked better than I expected it would. I'm very very pleased with the heater system and think this is the best upgrade for the money. With the extra duct hose I installed to keep the underbelly tank compartment warm also keeps the floor warm. Now I'm ready to hit the road and see this greate U. S. of A. Happy Trails
Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paw John;
What is the size of the rig that it was installed in and what size heating element did you use? Thanks
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #38

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the update! I'm also curious what the size of your rig is (width, length, interior height), both the coach itself and any slide you have. Do you have dual pane windows? How often did the furnace cycle and for how long each time? Did you check to see if it still worked on gas?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #39

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Paw John;
What is the size of the rig that it was installed in and what size heating element did you use? Thanks
He said earlier in the thread that he used the 5000 watt setting. He had to add a 30A panel because 240v was required. Using 5000 watts would "steal" only 21A from each leg of a 50A service, only 1A more per leg than the starting load of two 15k BTU A/Cs (pure resistance pretty much doesn't have a starting load), not including the current needed to run the blower in the furnace (which won't be much).

Normally, I do not advocate adding 240v circuits to RVs because of the remote possibility of running into a 120/208v service at a campground (before anyone goes off topic here, this has already been discussed here) but, in this case, the load is purely resistive and running it on 208v will only result in a reduction of heat output at a slight loss of efficiency.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #40
Commercial Member

My camper is 36TK3 Mobile Suite, Thats a 36' with three slides, one in the bed room ( king size bed ), one in the kitchen and entertainment slide which includes the ice box, stove and cabinets along with the entertainment cabinets, one on the passinger side of the camper that has the dining table & 4 chairs and two reclinders. my camper is 102'' wide with out the slides opened and the hight in the rear is at lease 7 to 8' high and the front area is about 6' high. Never measured the inside of my camper.
LADYFITZ is right that the heater coil is a 5000 watt coil and is wired up 240 volts through a 30 amp disconnect that's getting it's voltage from the rear of the camper where the 50 amp trailer cord is plugged into the camper. I didn't connect to the breaker box inside the camper which could of to save on some money on wiring and conduit piping.
The heater cycles on and off often. It stays on once it reaches it's set temperture and kicks off. Then about 2 to 3 minutes it cycles on for about 1 to 2 minutes. I'm thinking that I may need to cover my duct work regester inside the bathroom area, due to the thermostat is located directlly on top of it. I feel that this will let the camper warm more evenly and posiblely cut down on the cycling. I did notice that the gas side would do the same thing when it was running. I may be able to relocate the termostat to the rear living area ( just a thought ). I sat in the rear of the camper in the recliner next to the back wall of the slide and did not feel any cold air penetrating through the walls. My camper dose not have double pane windows. That might be another upgrade in the future.
Thanks again for all you all input and I really think that this Cheap Heat system is a needed upgrade to any body's camper. I think that the manufactures of all makes and modles should get on board and install this system at the time of the build.

It's up to the people like us to push for this in the future.

Happy Trails

Paw John & Maw Maw Krista
also Ali Yellow Lab
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #41

iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a discussion going on over on the RV.net forums about this, mostly negativity from people who do not have a Cheap Heat installation and have no clue what it is other than expensive.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #42
Commercial Member

Thanks LADYFITZ

That post was very educational, If they only know !!!!
As for the Atwood Information Notice about No !! Electric Heating Kits add on allowed to their units due to the rist of integrity of the heat exchanger and increase the possibility for CO leakage. The heat exchanger system is a contained system and the plenum is attached to the outside of the units housing and is not doing any thing to the heater unit itself. I feel that they know this system works and they are sorry that they didn't think of it first. So they are going to loose out on a lot of money.

My camper is a 2004 model and I think that it is well out of any warranty options. I own this camper and I know this system will save me money in the long haul.