Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Commercial Member

electric central heat

Paw John here, I installed an electric heating coil in my central heater unit. I change out the plenum with one that houses the new eletric coil assy. Then connected the six duck hoses and wired up the controler and 30 amp disconnect box. I will be checking this system out this winter and will let everybody know how it works. This should cut down on my gas bill. I own a 2004, 36' Mobile Suite RV. This system is manufactured by comfort systems ( cheap heat ). I could not find any body in my area that was a dealer for them. So I contacted the factory and they shipped me one. I would like to know if any one of you has had this system installed in your RV and how is it working for you.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

How much output in btu's? My LP furnace output is 40,000btu, and in sub-zero weather runs much of the time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With 30 amp service and 120 VAC, 3600 watts is all you will get...MAXIMUM. That is 12,292 BTUH less than 1/3 of the furnace....so it will be good for taking the chill off in cool weather, but in cold weather, the furnace will be needed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Ray, IN
The heater coil is set on 5000 w and I still have not used it in any weather colder than 45 degrees. It worked good during that camper trip and didn't need the gas side. The good thing about this system is you still have the gas for back up with the flip of the switch. Hoping to try it this winter and will let you all know the out come. I was hoping that some one else had the system and could give some input.

John Landry 2002 F350 4x4 dually & 2004 36TK3 Mobile Suite
Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Cheap Heat

For all info on this product check out rvcomfortsystems.com ( cheap heat ) could noy find the BTU rating on the electric coil. My unit had five 4'' hose piping hooked up to the original plenum. Mr Larry with RV Comfront Systems suggested to hook up six 4'' hose piping to the new plenum and send one inside the underneath tank and piping compartment to keep it heated. I will check all my paper work that came with it to find out the BTU rating and get back with you all.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how do you plan to save money on heating by using electricity instead of gas? Unless you are in an area with very low electric prices or extremely high gas prices, it will cost substantially more to heat with electricity than with gas. Especially when your electric heat is resistance heating. And diverting some of the heat into the basement area is just going to make it worse.

Either someone is selling you snake oil, or I missed something in your explanation.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is just another way to get money from a customer and let them save a few pennies on the propane they do not burn...unless you pay for electric at your site. A good money maker for the seller.

A heat pump will do better down to about 35 degF.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Commercial Member

All I can tell you is two years ago the wife & I was camping north of New Oreans. We went through two seven gallon tanks of gas in one week while plugged into electricity at the campground. The daily rate at that campground was $18.00 per day with no extra charges for electricity used. So if this works like it is presented it will save me on my gas usage. Thats money in my pockets. Yes I know that if you are a boomdocker this will not work. Thats why you still have gas back up. If this works this is a win win modification.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Okay. In your original post you neglected to mention that you won't be paying anything extra for the electricity that is replacing your gas.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been trying to do some research on it myself. I do know they offer elements as high as 17000 Btu. I would be interested if they would sell to an individual but the website says dealers only. I inquired at on dealer and their estimate was $700 just for installation.
I would also be interested in hearing an evaluation.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Commercial Member

AZ Bound
All I can say is that I contacted Mr Larry and ask him about a list of dealers in my area. He gave me a couple of names and when I contacted them they both told me they where not a dealer. I contacted Mr Larry and we talked about his system and I asked if I could become a dealer for him in southern Louisiana. He told me that I would have to install one unit before he would accept me as a dealer. I ordered a unit and installed it. It took me about 15 hours to Install the unit. Reading the book it sugesses it should take about 5 - 7 hour for instalation. The only thing that did not come with the system, I purchase at my local lowe's store was the 30 amp disconnect and the wiring from the 50 amp main intrance to the 30 amp disconnect box. I have not used the system after it was installed except one time and the weather was only at about 45 degrees. It worked perfect. I will use it this winter and can give a better servey on it. This system should save me a lot of money in the long time. I save money by installing it myself.

Kurmudgeon, I'm sorry if I misled you. At this time I only have been camping at camp grounds and using their electricty. Just to let you know that the last time I filled my gas tank up at the local gas co. it cost me $ 43.00 dollars for one 7 gallon tank up.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #12

It is true electricity is the most efficient (virtually 100%) heat source, however;
As Ken said, you cannot get more than 3,600W output on a 30A breaker, no exceptions. If you truly have a 5,000W element it will draw 41.6A @ 120VAC.. I suspect something is amiss with the output ratings.
That 17,000W element will draw 141.6A @ 120VAC. There would have to be a 240VAC conversion inside the coach for it to work (70A @ 240VAC). That leaves ~30A to power the rest of the RV.
As a dealer, do you have access to test results for these units? I am interested in comparing the results to industry standards.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Ray

It is wired 240 volts to the heating coil. I will try to attached some pictures i took of the install. They are saved in my computer at work. Does any body know how to attach pictures to this message. I will read through my paper work and try to get answers for all of your quwstions.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Commercial Member

If any body want's some pictures of the instalation. Please e-mail me at pawjohn@yahoo.com I can't get my pictures on this site.