Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
I say LP is wonderful, and you just need to convince her. It's very safe and economical. Why not have her read positive posts, hoping to convince her? I don't pretend to know the statistics, but propane is a good source of heat for cooking and space comfort. I wouldn't go all electric at any cost.
Some people don't like gas for various reasons, such as the explosive risk or a worry about asphyxiation. I grew up in an all-electric house because my mom didn't want a gas line coming into the house. When we camped, the only way she'd use propane was hooked up to an exterior stove. No amount of logic will overcome a phobia.

For an RV, I'd rather have a non-propane compressor-based refrigerator and an electric cook top is no problem either. As for heat, if you're camping only seasonally like most people, a heat pump/AC unit will keep the camper warm and can be added to existing campers easily.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr View Post
It stinks? How so. The Class A's we went in and tested didn't smell at all?
You were inside. The stink is outside where the exhaust is.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #17

I'm with your wife...I've read about sooo many propane explosions in RVs...its a wonder propane hasn't been outlawed by OSHA!

Oh - no pilot lights in RV cook tops and heating stoves, nor anywhere else in the RV, they are all either manual or electronic ignition. I have only had one trailer that had a standing pilot and that was for the oven...years ago.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
If plugged into shore power don't need to run a generator and if using solar with battery bank that eliminates need for generator as well to some extent. And actually I walked around outside the coach while it was running and while the generator was fired up. Didn't see any billowing cloud of smoke coming from it, but we are talking about a high end coach and not a 1970's special.

She sent me a bunch of links where people died from CO2 and fire or lost their rig and truck to fire. She'd kill me if I didn't die and something like that happened, especially if we lost the dogs.
MuddyPaws2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr View Post
If plugged into shore power don't need to run a generator and if using solar with battery bank that eliminates need for generator as well to some extent. And actually I walked around outside the coach while it was running and while the generator was fired up. Didn't see any billowing cloud of smoke coming from it, but we are talking about a high end coach and not a 1970's special.

She sent me a bunch of links where people died from CO2 and fire or lost their rig and truck to fire. She'd kill me if I didn't die and something like that happened, especially if we lost the dogs.
Ok, well I'm obviously not going to inform you of what the real world is like in a tight campground next to a brand new MH, with the diesel run heater, and water heater. I know it's a fact. We fulltime, and have been next to any of them.

I think almost all of the new MH'S probably have these types of systems. I guess we will all have to live with it. Good or bad. I actually like the idea of the diesel fired systems, I just don't like what comes out of the exhaust.

I have had 2 newer diesel pickups that don't have any diesel exhaust smell out the exhaust, except when they go into regeneration, and that's usually on the highway.
RVM #104
Old 03-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #20

If you have an all electric 5th wheel, you will probably not want to dry camp much. Solar is expensive and cloudy days will leave you without charged batteries. Dry camping locations like national parks also have limited generator hours, typically 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. You will need an inverter to run those a/c appliances from your batteries too when you cannot use your generator or solar is ineffective.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #21

Yup. All electric or darn near all electric will limit where you stay for sure. My impression of the all electric 5th wheel or Mh is that they are for folks that don't plan on boondocking, or have a large jenny, and or solar panels and a very large battery rack.

Myself I don't boondock often, and what I have is good for a weekend in the sticks. The RV industry is leaning towards all electric. We don't like the microwave / convection oven over a traditional gas oven, but it works, and it's definitely a learning experience with that and the induction cooktop. We chose it over the gas range, so we can't complain. It was our decision. Right or wrong. And if we would have bought that high tech MH we was looking at, I was thinking all that stuff that was non-gas, and diesel fired was something I thought was a selling point. I still do, but the truth to the matter is, they stink of diesel exhaust. Don't want to offend anybody that has one, but I prefer not to be next to one.
RVM #104
Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #22
PJL

We have been full timing for 13 months and have yet to add propane to our 1st tank (we have 2 40 lb tanks). We typically only use propane for cooking (and if we had an electric cooktop, wouldn't even use propane for that). We use an electric convection oven, and use the Cheap Heat system when we have hookups (which is the norm). The CheapHeat system provides just as much heat output as our 40,000 BTU gas furnace, and heats the underbelly and holding tanks. We have been in sub zero temperatures several times (with 50 amp service) and only use propane for the cooktop. So...., if the wife is scared of propane, but you want the option of boondocking, it can be done with generators and/or solar (I have neither). Another option is to order a rig with at least 4 GC batteries, a 3000 watt inverter, an electric convection oven/microwave combo, a residential electric frig (which is great even if you are not scared of propane), have the electric CheapHeat installed in conjunction with the propane based furnace, and keep the propane turned off at the tank. Then you will only need to turn on the propane if you have no electrical hook-up and need heat or microwave/oven. BTW, let the rig get cold while boondocking and she will allow you to open the propane valve!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for the info. We've been married long enough for me to know that if I bring home anything with propane it's going back. We went through this wilth grills, gave her a picture of the gas grill I wanted for my birthday a few years back. She bought me a Big Green Egg instead, said the flavor on the food would be better and it didn't involve propane...
Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 AM   #24

One option. Forget the camping style. I have said that to many, not the first. Camping is an experience and with limitations it does not work. Camping is for freedom. The good and the bad is part of the fun.
This morning my neighbour idled his 40 ft diesel piusher for 1/2 an hour to move his motorhome to an other lot in this campground. I was working outside breathing it and the wife had to close all the windows.
But that's camping and I have to tuff these stupid
Ideas which are much worst then having propane.
The neighbor will have a propoane BBQ, maybe a 100 gal propane tank, an old MH might have a propane leak.
A propane delivery truck will pass on the highway with 5000 or more gallons on board about 4 ft from the passengers in your truck. Learn to accept it as the majority of citizens are exposed to it. Even without being directly involved.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Not going to forget camping, we both enjoy it and have been tent camping for years, but we want to be able to go further and during different seasons and she wants to be able to take our dogs sometimes. Some people don't like snakes, some don't like spiders, my dw doesn't like propane and to tell her to suck it up because it's around. No thanks. I appreciate all the information and we will figure something out eventually.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #26

^^^^^^ Ahhh yes. Happy wife happy life! :-)
RVM #104
Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #27

Some folks should be wrapped in bubble wrap and stay at home.
Electrical issues are equally as dangerous as propane. I have read about a lot of fires started by faulty electrical wiring , appliances, and equipment. Propane isn't the big evil.
Batteries when over charging can and do release hydrogen gas. Batteries can explode, and often they do. Propane isn't the big evil. Tire blowouts cause accidents, damage and death can result. Propane is not the big evil.
Candles and smokers cause a lot of fire damage and death. Propane isn't the big evil.

Education, education, education. Learn about RV systems and safety.
Pizzadigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #28

Well said 2x