Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Electrical Issues

I have a older 5th wheel, 1992 Dutchman. On my fully charged 12 volt battery, the only thing that runs is my water pump, and my radio, no lights. When i have it plugged into my generator, everything works. I have taken a battery inside, and hooked it up directly to the fuse panel, still the same result? Any ideas??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

Maybe you need to use a test light and check fuses? Also check the buss bar on the rear of the 12 volt fuses.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #3

MnTom

Thanks I will try that!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why the radio and water pump work I do not know but it sounds to me like a Battery Disconnect is in the "Disconnected" mode.

The test light is a good idea. it will find it.. If you have more than one wire hooked to the battery positive (or negative) here is how you test.

Turn on radio.. Remove one wire, (Start with negative wires) if one and only one wire affects the radio, problem may be other wire.

On the positive end,,, Same procedure, but if one and only one wire affects the radio, Problem IS one of the other wires.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Why the radio and water pump work I do not know but it sounds to me like a Battery Disconnect is in the "Disconnected" mode.

The test light is a good idea. it will find it.. If you have more than one wire hooked to the battery positive (or negative) here is how you test.

Turn on radio.. Remove one wire, (Start with negative wires) if one and only one wire affects the radio, problem may be other wire.

On the positive end,,, Same procedure, but if one and only one wire affects the radio, Problem IS one of the other wires.
What does that mean?

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

I guess that you are sure the lights are 12-volt? A lot of older trailers had 110 lighting. I would think that with a battery disconnect, nothing 12 volt would work.
You might also check for a small metal relay close to the battery--if there, a positive wire should go to it, and from it--it might have a very small reset button on the side of it that is tripped, tho can't figure why anything 12volt would work if it is tripped.
Keep us posted.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #7

My thought would be you have a 6300 series power center like a 6345 which has the converter built into the bottom. If so you have a fuse panel in the right hand side for the 12v system. The 6300 series is a odd duck the battery is not connected the same as in other systems. Power from the battery comes in to the back of the fuse panel and the converter power goes to the front of the panel. The converter has a separate charge wire to charge the battery. As such the battery is isolated from the converter section and gets it's charge from the charger only. When the fuse panel fails it will only get power from one source. The correct fix is complete replacement there are some ways to cheat but I will not tell you how to do it as you take a risk of a fire or other problems if the cheat fails.

Tags
electrical