Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

electrical outlets on slideout do not work

I have a grand design reflextion 5th wheel. three of the outlets do not work. the fireplace and the stereo which are in the slideout work. the gfi and the fuses all seem good. I have checked the wires in each of the non working outlets and they are not loose. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to resolve this issue. Thanks
gmmason5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

electrical outlets on slideout do not work

There may be another GFI ( some rv’s have two )
You said the fuses are ok. These would not be on a fuse. Have you checked the circuit breakers.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

circuit breakers were checked
gmmason5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

Agree with Clifftall, on my trailer the GFI in the bathroom controlled outlets in the kitchen. Reset all GFI outlets might just fix your problem.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Check to see which one might be the first in the daisy chain. On our HitchHiker the same happened and I found the hot wire into the first one had a bad connection so none of them would work. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...1SEN/100661787

With this little tester you can check whether or not a wire is live or not. I would go under the slide and check the wires.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
GFI first, breakers second.....if you have an inverter, there is a hidden popout breaker on the side ( learned about the hidden breaker this winter )
Old 06-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #8

The others have covered everything I can think of. However, there is a LOOONNGG shot I will mention. On my HitchHiker there are 2 circuit breakers in the battery compartment. When mine pop the slide will not move but I have never checked for anything else not working so it is a chance. Good Luck.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I had the same issue with an older 5er I had. Seems that the power fed to the slideout goes into an outlet box. The power then daisy chains from there. The Neutral (white) wire came loose on the outlet. Back then they used the outlets where you just strip the wire and push it into the back of the outlet. Works fine in a house, not so much bouncing down the highway. My nephew (an electrician) got me outlets that had the same connection, but there was also a screw to insure the wire was locked in. I replaced all of the outlets.

But back to the OP, reconnecting the Neutral resolved the situation.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #10

My camper was connected to an improperly wired outlet and subsequently two GFCI outlets were FRIED. This also caused many outlets to stop functioning. Two new GFCI outlets from the hardware store solved the problem. It is possible you have a bad GFCI outlet.

My trailer now has an EMS hardwired inside the rig.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #11

If your unit has the pinch together type outlets, could be a bad or part-time connection
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, slide, slideout