Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Ok folks I need some direction. I just replaced my batteries (2) on my 5th wheel and I have no power without shore power or unless it is hooked up to the truck. I had a disconnect installed by the dealer recently and shortly after that is when I began to have problems. I thought the batteries were just bad so when i brought it home from South Texas, I replaced them. The new batteries are fully charged. I checked them with an ohm meter.
Where should I start?
Thanks.
Bulldog

2011 Ford F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Ok folks I need some direction. I just replaced my batteries (2) on my 5th wheel and I have no power without shore power or unless it is hooked up to the truck. I had a disconnect installed by the dealer recently and shortly after that is when I began to have problems. I thought the batteries were just bad so when i brought it home from South Texas, I replaced them. The new batteries are fully charged. I checked them with an ohm meter.
Where should I start?
Thanks.
Bulldog

Old 03-23-2006, 03:52 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Mike,

Our Jayco had an in-line fuse in the positive leg of the battery wiring, about 6" from the battery terminal. We always just pulled that fuse when we wanted to disconnect the battery for storage.

It sounds like you have something open in the battery positive lead between the battery terminal and the converter output. It could be the fuse I mentioned, something associated with the new disconnect recently installed or a loose or broken wire. When you are plugged into shore power, the converter is providing your 12VDC power to the rig. When you are plugged into the truck, the truck's electrical system is providing the 12VDC power. Since both of these sources seem to be working OK, I doubt that you have a problem in the rig's 12VDC power distribution system - it sounds like it has to be between the batteries and the converter/12VDC fuse block.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check out what Rusty has said but also check the ground wire to 5th frame who knows maybe they disconnected it from frame for some reason. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club

Thanks. That's one of those obvious things that I should have said.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #6

I have seen some converters with two fuses in the fuse section of the converter as well for the line from the batt...... Strange, but true.

Of course you can ALWAYS use the country boy backup plan, "Hit it with a BIGGER hammer".
Old 03-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
It was the fuse, thanks for all your help.
Bulldog