Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

?????-electrical problems

Need help with some ideas on what can,does or will cause my interior lights to fade then re brighten over and over, sometimes more often than others. They dim for a minute or two then re brighten. I am currently plugged in to 30 amp 110. I have a 2010 chaparral. Thx much.

The Journey Continues
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #2

First thing would be to make sure your battery connections are clean and tight, if that doesn't help then load test the battery.
The problem you describe can be a connection problem , a battery problem, or internal in the converter/charger.
If you could monitor the voltage output at the battery from the C/C I think you would see 12v when the lights are dim and 14v when they are bright.
If you have a large number of lights on when this happens you may need to start switching to LED bulbs or install a C/C with higher output. The output on your current unit will be on the case, I upgraded from a 60amp to 75 amp when mine failed.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

?????-electrical problems

Does it happen when not plugged into shore power as well ? Does it happen when the generator is running?

If it doesn't happen when you are disconnected from shore power.....I'm thinking it could be the converter/charger malfunctioning. The charging voltage could be fluctuating from low to high.

If it happens all the time....maybe a bad grounding wire? A bad connection will have extra resistance and cause the voltage to fluctuate.

EDIT: I guess Skip426 and I were typing at the same time 😃
Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
EDIT: I guess Skip426 and I were typing at the same time ��
Happens to me about four times a week.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokcap48 View Post
Need help with some ideas on what can,does or will cause my interior lights to fade then re brighten over and over, sometimes more often than others. They dim for a minute or two then re brighten. I am currently plugged in to 30 amp 110. I have a 2010 chaparral. Thx much.

It is nothing more than your Converter shifting to different charge modes as it senses different battery voltages.

With that said, check the water level in your battery and keep all connections clean and tight. In my case, I found 3 lose wire crimps where lugs were attached. I soldered then and the problem went away.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Gentleman-sorry for being so late in thanking you for your quick and complete responses, no WIFI for a few days. When I get home I will start to have things checked out. Thanks again.

The Journey Continues
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

That happened to us when converter was going bad. Installed new one, no more dimming.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could be a bad converter..

Or a circuit breaker (Between the converter and the house)
Or a cuirt breaker betweeen the house and the batteries with a bad battery.

Measure system voltage with lights bright, dim and with RV NOT connected to shore or generator power (Running on Batteries).

Post results. Many possible answers.

Also how fast is it blinking.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
That happened to us when converter was going bad. Installed new one, no more dimming.
Same here, bad converter, fixed with a new one. Just replaced the converter board.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

Wiring diagram

I have a 1993 country style 31 foot fifth wheel front kitchen. I need a wiring diagram for the power converter located under the bedroom. Thank you
Old 09-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #11

Water heater DSi and propane

I have a 1993 Kountry Star fifth wheel. I have a DSi and propane water heater 10 gallon . When heated by Electric or propane it only omits a small amount of warm water. I have replace the thermostats and it operates as before. Anyone that has some assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Thank y
Old 10-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
I have a 1993 country style 31 foot fifth wheel front kitchen. I need a wiring diagram for the power converter located under the bedroom. Thank you
Poeman; It's best to start your own thread, if your problem is not identical to the original poster's. Most members will read the original post and then reply; so your posts could easily be missed.
Can you start a post in the " RV Systems & Appliances" with the brand name of your converter.
For your water heater, check that the shower taps inside and out are properly turned off; not just at the shower head. Also if you have a 3 valve by-pass make sure the taps are in the proper position. More info on troubleshooting in the " Files " drop box, in the blue bar under your welcome message.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #13

Poeman,
Classic description of winterizing valves in wrong position...Skip426 mentioned the 3-way valve--locate it and make sure it is in correct position. Sounds as tho you are getting cold water mixed into the hot water line.
Just had this same problem when someone (could not have been me, even tho I am the only one who gets in that space...) moved the 3-way valve off of 'all hot water' Reset the valve and problem solved.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical