Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Elephant Feet Landing Pads

Has anyone tried Elephant Feet landing pads to replace the small metal pads on the front or back jacks? They are 10" in diameter giving a much larger pad area to prevent sinking into softer ground. I had a problem at a campsite where the ground was soft and the front feet sunk through the plastic pad and bent. You can also get rubber "shoes" for the pads for use on harder surfaces to keep the feet from sliding. I just got front feet for now. They connect to the legs using existing hardware. I got them from www.jrtv.com.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just use some of my leveling wooden blocks if needed to spread the load on soft ground. Made from a 2x10 and 18-24" long.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

Looks nice, but I just built 14" square pads from 2x4 lumber. Rock solid and dirt cheap, they also keep the jacks from making contact with the dirt and each pad is 3" high where 2 stacked pads is enough to keep the trailer from rocking, not as convenient though.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #4

I'm not entirely sold on them but I had to replace the bent shoe anyway and these add a custom look to the rig. The bigger shoe also adds stability to the landing legs.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Bend the 2 front shoes on our unit on the first lift.
Been using 2 x6 x12 lumber for the past 22 years and they never failed me yet.
Use them for everything I need support. Just craddle them to lift the unit by the frame with my 8 ton jack.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Has anyone tried Elephant Feet landing pads to replace the small metal pads on the front or back jacks? They are 10" in diameter giving a much larger pad area to prevent sinking into softer ground. I had a problem at a campsite where the ground was soft and the front feet sunk through the plastic pad and bent. You can also get rubber "shoes" for the pads for use on harder surfaces to keep the feet from sliding. I just got front feet for now. They connect to the legs using existing hardware. I got them from www.jrtv.com.
I like this idea. I may look into seeing if I can attach my wood blocks to my shoes. Will have to check for clearance under coach. Dealing with the blocks is my least favorite thing during set up and break down.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
I like this idea. I may look into seeing if I can attach my wood blocks to my shoes. Will have to check for clearance under coach. Dealing with the blocks is my least favorite thing during set up and break down.
That is an interesting idea. I am replacing my bent shoes with these. http://http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Ultra-Fab-Products/UF17-940006.html
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have some plastic pads I put under the jacks when I feel the need, But I have to admit they are not all that strong and then tend to crack if I put too much pressure on em.

I just got 10 feet of 1x10 at the lumber yard.. I now have 10 12" by 12" blocks of 1.5" thick wood (Standard 2x is really 1.5 inch) cost me like 12 bucks as I recall.. Soon I'll paint 'em up, and likely glue some of them in pairs since the reason I have 'em Ill always need at least 3 stacked atop each other so pairs is logical for at least 2 pair.

Handy little beggers they are.

Also.. if putting jacks down on ground subject to freezing (Has happened to me) you lay the block below the jack.. Drop jacks normally and do not worry.. If ground freezes, odds are the jacks won't stick to the blocks Bring jacks up normally, Move RV off the blocks,, Tap gently with 8 pound hammer (Sledge) and they pop right off the frozen ground.. Real nice. I know.. That's how I did it.

Then drive Motor home to some nice warm place (Las Vegas in the example listed) Visit with darling daughter.. Or perhaps southern Georgia to visit with same daughter now that she has moved, (You do not worry so much about freezing in those places)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

I use 2x6 or 4x6 wood blocks about 1.5 feet long depending on height needed.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #10

after trying various size boards, the Lego blocks, rubber and other pads we have settled on using 15" X 15" Bigfoot Outrigger Pads

Jim