Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #1

Elite Suites 36TK3

Wondering if I am being overly concerned with the weight numbers. I see lots of folks post here who tow these with 1-ton duallys.....even though GCWR is probably exceeded if going by the GVWR of the RV.

I am looking at a 2006 Elite Suites that is 16K dry. Something this big we are not likely to go places with the tanks full....probably just to parks with full hook ups. My truck is a 2014 Dodge 3500 dually with the 68RFE (not AISN) tranny geared at 3.73 for a GCWR of 27K. Hitch is a BW companion rated at 20K.

If I keep the cargo load below 1800 lbs I am right at the GCWR numbers but still OK on the max axle weight of the truck which is max of 9750. Base weight of the rear of the truck is 3342+240(fuel)+about 4500 PW + about 300lbs gear....comes to about 8400 lbs....safe on the axel.

Truck loaded up would be about 9300 lbs so 27000-9300 would leave 17700 for the max trailer weight.

So looking for some words of wisdom......is this safe? To close to max limits? Others experience with a similar setup would be great too.

The RV has air on the axle as well as at the pin box.

Thanks!!! Been looking and looking....wasted a trip to OKC looking at a NuWa hitchhiker I almost bought. This DRV just popped up locally.

Greg
AB7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #2

From a safety standpoint...yes, you are safe.

An equally geared Ram with an Aisin tranny ia rated at 33,800 GCWR. The trans is the only difference... axles, tires, brakes, transfer case and driveshaft are the same between the trucks. From a safety standpoint you need to be able to stop the rig and keep it under control. You have enough truck to do this. Going above the GCWR of the 68rfe may shorten it's life. I suspect this is the reason for the weight limitation.

Have you considered re-gearing to 4.10? That would "up" your GCWR to 30K ish.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #3

gearing

Had not considered that...I will check into it. That would put me at 30K GCWR. The HD AISN at 4.10 would be 37.5K Crazy weight.

Have never towed anything this heavy. Wonder how much difference it feels. Biggest I have towed before is a 3H Bloomer horse trailer with full LQ 15ft shortwall. That was heavy too....built crazy good... but not as heavy as the DRV.
AB7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

My trailer comes in around 15k loaded up and tows quite well behind my dually. It is more stable than when I am towing my 27" box trailer from the bumper.

I suspect the DRV has disc brakes. They make a huge difference! If you have not pulled a trailer with them before, you are in for a treat.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

I think you're truck would be fine.
Safety is a relative term. You could be towing with a twin screw PeterCar as your TV and wouldn't be any safer rag-chewing on the CB, pecking on a smart phone, tailgating a logging truck in the fog. Safety is a state of mind.
More than likely the ES 36TKS has disc brakes and Mor-ryde IS suspension. I think you'll find upon getting it on the Cat scales that the pin weight is under 4K.
Our GM does very well towing our ES. We travel primarily out west over the high passes and even ran the entire coast on Hy-101 this summer. We run on cruise much of the time.
The 3.73 is the rear chunk of choice with most and they've tweaked the 68RFE since the early ones. Keep the fluid / filter changed regularly.
FWIW You mention a "air hitch"? there has been a recall on some of those Trail-Air pin boxes (lower bushings) so you might want to research whether it's affected. Not a deal killer if you like the coach. That's a nice floorplan if you like to access the toilet refrig. bed traveling with the slides in.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #6

Don't worry about. I towed this rig with the red F250 short bed for over a year. Upgraded tires, air bags and make sure the trailer brakes are working. And, unless you are a commercial hauler no one cares what you tow so long as it is not visibly unsafe, you know, rear bumper dragging and head lights pointing up into the trees,

If I was younger or poorer I'd probably still be towing with that small truck. Much easier to drive once the 5er is parked. Full disclosure, I had to stay alert and really drive in the mountains and on curvy roads but I never felt unsafe. The DRW trucks are much more relaxing though, and almost impossible to screw up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 Fort Myers (672)a.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	144208   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	144210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 new truck 043.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	144211  
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #7

I can imagine tou may have been just a tad over on your axle.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I can imagine tou may have been just a tad over on your axle.
Ted as a professional driver I'm absolutely sure you know more about this than I do. I also hate to get involved in one of these weight threads because I know how they end. But, I'll stick my neck out and say this:

This is my reasoning and how I prepared my shorty truck to tow. If you don't agree, don't do it. The RAWR (rear axle weight rating) is tire dependent. IE, the rating is on the placard with specific tires. So, upgrade the tires, raise the RAWR. It won't change the placard but it will be safe. I'm sure there is some weight that will bend an axle on a super duty but it won't be found on the pin weight of a fifth wheel. I know commercial guys can't do that, but I can and did.

All who read this also need to know this: DO NOT EXCEED THE WEIGHT POSTED ON THE TIRE SIDEWALL because they WILL blow out when over loaded.

That's my 2 cents worth and I have no further comments on the subject of weight.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote