Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

epdm roofs again

epdm roofs ouestion ,i am in the process of re painting my epdm roof on a 28ft Xtreme light 5th wheeler ,it is now 6 years old ,i have found a 2 pot Polyurethane,paint which the manufacture,says that it is made to go over the epdm,but other ,veiws are to use a membran primer then just a good acrylic paint .i know there are epdm systems over there in the U S but new zealand there is not many options,any ideas would help on this subject,have read most of your fourum subjects on this matter,cheers from NZ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Wow Terry what a long ways away! Welcome from Texas to you!

I don't know the answer to your question, but there are several people here that do and I'm sure you'll get the solution soon.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #3

EPDM Liquid RoofRV Roof Repair, RV Leak Repair and Maintenance with Liquid Roof is a good tutorial for roof coating. The Eternabond library is also a very good resource.

EPDM membrane is warrented for 10/12 years. Dicor the manufacturer says nothing but washing with mild soap and water is all that is necessary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What Ray said.

Terry55, I would probably just skip all the priming and painting and go straight to recoating the old EDPM roof with new EDPM. An 8x30 roof would need about 6 gallons of Liquid Rubber EDPM RV roofing. 5 gallons covers about 210 sq ft for $348 US, plus another gallon costs $80 US and covers 42 sq ft. That's enough for a 30' RV roof, for a total cost of $428 plus shipping.
https://secure.websolhost.net/@epdmcoatings/order/
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Ha.....and if the supplier gives you TPO by mistake with EPDM glue.....call me. Been there.....still there.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
i am in the process of re painting my epdm roof on a 28ft Xtreme light 5th wheeler ,it is now 6 years old
Why does it need painting? Leaks, material ripped, mold??

My EPDM roof is over 14 years old, looks good yet. And I only wash it twice a year with a pressure washer, no soap.

It has always been outside 24/7/365
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
Ha.....and if the supplier gives you TPO by mistake with EPDM glue.....call me. Been there.....still there.
Old saw for amatuer carpenters is "measure twice, cut once." Similar rule for amatuer EDPM liquid roofing materiel installers is "read and understand the product description twice, pour once." Be certain you have EPDM liquid and not TPO before you even open the can.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren

Old saw for amatuer carpenters is "measure twice, cut once." Similar rule for amatuer EDPM liquid roofing materiel installers is "read and understand the product description twice, pour once." Be certain you have EPDM liquid and not TPO before you even open the can.
Yep.....but my invoice said EPDM...... even the sticker on the cardboard tube said EPDM. That's why they gave me $1500.00 and new rubber(EPDM) and glue.

When I had trouble with it being so much heavier another supplier told me I had the wrong product. The original supplier said "Oh no.....we don't sell TPO. You have the right material."

I had to actually take a scrap piece in before the manager (a 24 year old know it all) finally admitted with a red face they made a mistake.

At least I got it on and it will not leak and I have $2500.00 in my pocket after I sell the 10X30 EPDM and 5 gallons of glue.