Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #211

Tiffin Owners Club
Discuss it with Evergreen

We are in South Florida, so the issue of freeze never comes up. Only the issue of hurricanes are on most of our minds. Remember, the tankless heater is only insulated from the cold by a metal door. Inside are the propane pipe and the cold water pipe feeding the heater. The cold water pipe comes in through the back of the heater just behind the storage area. It then goes through an activation valve which senses water movement and turns on the gas heat. That valve is in the tankless heater area and is susceptible to the cold. I'm sure this is an issue. Ask Evergreen if there is a way to either heat that compartment or heat the pipe going in and out of the heater.
Other problems you might experience are the water running hot and cold. Once you have the air out of the lines and the settings correct, you will love this heater. I had one problem with that activation flow valve. It got stuck on me. The manufacturer walked me through getting it unstuck and still sent me a new one in case it seizes completely. It's been working great ever since I unstuck it.
Again, talk it over with Evergreen and let them know your concerns.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #212

Evergreen Owners Club
Angry

Hi fellow Bay Hill owners....we are almost at the end of year one with our 320RS. It hasn't been the best of experiences. We just completed a 7 week (7000 mile) trip into Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc. It was a great trip except for....the water heater, oh and now the bedroom slide. Our 5'er has been in the shop more then it's been on the road. Everything started out working fine, then about week 5, the water heater just quit (again.) Capoot. Nada. No firing up, nothing. At first we thought it might be the low temps (Estes Park, CO), but then it happened again in (hot) Prosser, WA. We've tried everything to fix it (on the road) and nothing worked (thanks again to all our responses for help!). After the water heater stopped working, the bedroom slide, which works on the same type of mechanism as the entertainment slide (another UGH!) started coming in crooked, to the point where hubby had to get out and push on one side to get it to come back in. Last few days of trip, it wouldn't go in/out at all (thank goodness we got clothes of the drawers before it stopped working). It's currently stuck "out" about 1-2 inches. We ended our trip 3-4 days early and just motored on home to ABQ, where it currently sits waiting for (again) more warranty work.

I believe what we have on our hands here is a lemon. While Evergreen/Bay Hill and La Mesa (ABQ) have always worked with us, it just becomes draining and stressful not knowing if slides will come in (or out), if the water heater will work, if something else will go wrong when we're 2500 miles from home. Kind of takes the fun out of the adventure you know.

A quick rundown of all our year's worth of issues....entertainment slide didn't work for us 3 times (took 4-5 mos. to get that resolved - huge issue and not trusting it's completely fixed, though it HAS been working), tankless water heater issues (1 mo.to fix and now it doesn't work again), fresh water tank was deformed and buckled to where it tore away the underbelly lining (currently waiting on THAT to be fixed).

We're home (just this week), we're waiting for the manufacturer to ship the fresh water tank (it's covered on warranty), and once that arrives, then we'll (once again) drag it over to La Mesa where they can get that installed, then work on all the other mirage of issues (water heater, slide) needing fixed.

We're currently in the market for a new 5th wheel.....

Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #213

Evergreen Owners Club
Thank You For Feedback

Thank you for giving me your feedback and what to look for. The dealer checked with Evergreen for me, and they said that the new Atwoods are freeze proof. I will call Evergreen myself and find out what they have done to make them freeze proof. Unfortunately, we will be in weather that will be below freezing quite often.

Trudi
RVn Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #214

Evergreen Owners Club
Hello Trudi,
Please share with us the info from Evergreen about freeze proof Atwood tankless hot water systems. Thanks and have a great day !
Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #215

Evergreen Owners Club
Those annoyances

Hi Erin...

We've chatted before about slides, water tanks, etc. Your frustration comes through clearly in your posting. And like you, we've wrestled with the slide-out problems on numerous occasions, the water heater, and the generally lackluster quality control by Evergreen. I think my trailer has almost been re-crafted from the ground up by my current service provider, a company that definitely knows how to diagnose and repair those issues you have alluded to.

I'm picking my recently repaired Bay Hill 320RS tomorrow for the last time! My last fix included the undercoating tearing away from the frame because of a sagging, deformed water tank. This will be the third water tank on this RV. On a positive note, however, my slides have been working well and the propane issue of lines not being correctly installed at the factory has been resolved.

If you do purchase a new RV, update the group in case others find it necessary to buy another 5th wheel.

Happy camping...Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #216

Evergreen Owners Club
KenInCA, If I may ask, how much water do you normally put into the fresh water tank? Does your 320RS have an overflow tube? We also just had our fresh water tank replaced along with extra straps.

Keith
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #217

Evergreen Owners Club
Water tank

Hey Keith...

I usually only carry about 1/5 tank of water because most of our RVing experiences are at destinations that I know have water at the campsite(s). I believe the overflow tube is (supposed to be) connected to the drain tube. The drain tube has a cutout through the undercoating and has a valve to manually drain the water. Mine was on the driver's side at the rear of the trailer.

The rest of your question summons bad memories. The original water tank literally fell out of the trailer when the angle-iron frame gave way and I dragged the tank about 400 yards. The Coach Net technician thought the frame was not of sufficient gauge to support the tank and the safety straps had either given out or most likely were not attached at the Evergreen factory. With a pocket knife I drained about 6 gallons of water before the tank was removed.

This brings me to water tank #2. Still under warranty, the second tank was installed with the overflow/drain tube upside down by the "experts" at Best RV in Turlock, California. The new tank was empty. Before our next RVing adventure, I filled the tank with about 5 gallons of water, mainly to test the water pump. On the way to San Francisco, however, water began to slosh violently out of the tank and the Coroplast undercoating began to tear away from the frame because of accumulated water. I took it back to Best RV and they allegedly fixed the problem. Later, I discovered they did not bother to reattach the safety straps.

This gets me to water tank #3. I'm into the extended warranty now. Because the water tank was not secured properly, the shifting movement of the trailer had caused the tank to deform somewhat. The excellent service department at Toscano RV spotted this condition right away and did not want to take the chance of having the tank fall out again. They ordered a replacement tank and new straps as well as the necessary undercoating to protect the trailer's innards.

As I mentioned to Erin above, my Bay Hill has been literally been reconstructed from the bottom up because of poor quality control at the Evergreen plant as well as extremely shoddy workmanship at Best RV, the original dealership...a dealership that refused to honor the Evergreen warranty after 6 months of ownership.

Other than the replacement of a water tank, how's your Bay Hill holding up?

Ken
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #218

Evergreen Owners Club
Hey Ken,

The water tank has been our only major problem. There have been a few other minor problems that the dealer has fixed for us. Leaking propane regulator, black tank valve wouldn't close properly, several water leaks, a few adjustments here and there. We went with the standard tank water heater, so we didn't have to work through the learning process of the tankless units. We have been on several short trips and a 3,200 mile trip and loving the Bay Hill.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #219

Evergreen Owners Club
Got the Bay Hill back today!

Keith...

Glad you're having good traveling experiences!

I got my Bay Hill back this morning. The RV dealership put in another water tank, reenforced the tank framing, and put upgraded safety straps in. I'm ready to roll toward British Columbia once the baseball season is over with.

Ken
Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #220

Evergreen Owners Club
Ken,
Hope you have good luck and safe travels to BC.
We are in the planning stages for an Alaska trip in 2015. Guess that will be the real test. It is very helpful sharing information on this thread.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #221

Smile

I'm sorry to read that Ken and others are having troubles still. We're going on 8 months now and finally we are happily over the issue faze. After a troublesome first two months we have not had any more issues,thank God!!!! We went thru fireplace replacement, and tankless water heater that didn't work.
Its great to take the 5th wheel {295RL} out and not have problems, trips are more fun when you are not anxious about trailer malfunction. I've put about 2500 miles and about 90 days of use. I'll tell you though that I'm always on the lookout for a malfunction. Only time will tell wether it was a wise choice to go with Bay Hill or should have gone with Lifestyles or Big Horn. I'm certainly glad I bought an extended warranty. We love the Bay Hill style and features, the interior is comfortable and roomy.I have noticed that there is plenty of hot water now that the ambient air temp. is above 35 degrees but will it be hot if its 35-40. As for the Atwood tankless heater you need to bleed air in washer faucet, check gas pressure,turn up heat sensor on tank, remove faucet and shower reducers and turn only hot water faucet and add cold as needed
We will be spending a month in it at Bandon,Or while we fish salmon and do some crabing. Its a great time for relaxation, fill freezer full of salmon and enjoy warm sunny days on the Oregon coast.We'll go home for October and get ready to go to spend the winter in Bullhead City Az.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #222

Evergreen Owners Club
A few more questions

Hi all - so this morning, I decided to sit down and read through this entire Bay Hill posting (all 16 pages). It's got a wealth of information in it, and I cut/paste a lot of items for clarification or to research more. Here's immediate questions:

1) Service from Evergreen. Our fresh water tank is deformed and non-useable so in June, while we were on the road, we contacted Rod Batts, who assured us that he will honor major product defects even after the warranty ends, as ours is up end of July. At that time, Rod said he had approved the new water tank and would do what needed to be done to get it shipped out to LaMesa (ABQ). Fresh water tank still not shipped, even though LaMesa has called Evergreen several times with no response. We have left v-mail for Rod and followed up with a not-so-satisfied email to Rod (again) asking why is it taking so long? In a call to LaMesa yesterday, the service manager indicated in their company's conference calls that other stores are not getting ANY response from Evergreen for other service, and rumor has it there is a management shakeup at Evergreen. Anyone else heard this?

2) Girard vs. Atwood. I'm a bit confused on which model/year have which water heater? Ours is a 2014 320RS and it has a Girard. Others say they bought a brand new BH with an Atwood. Is the Girard the new WH of choice or is Atwood? Not that it really matters, I'm just curious. Either way, ours not working has never been about the hot (hot) water, we've always been able to easily adjust ours, it's always been about whether it fires up to even HEAT the water. We thought it was cold temps, but that proved not true as we were in hot weather and it stopped working there too. If it's an easy fix, I'd sure like to know what the heck that is. We've tried everything.

3) Schwintek In-Wall Slideout. Never heard this term before but someone mentioned this is what the slide mechanism is called for our (320RS) entertainment slide and our bedroom slide. I will do more research on this because I'm curious about how to keep these slides in good working order (and praying to the slide Gods every time I hit the "in" button on the panel - along with growling anxiety in the pit of stomach isn't doing my health any good).

4) love the dishwasher. (thought I needed to end this post with something positive)
Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #223

Evergreen Owners Club
Troubles behind me...hope sohttp://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm hoping, Vinecat, that our spate of troubles are in the past. As Erin pointed out on July 21, you want to enjoy the anticipation of making a trip and not have the nagging feeling that some trailer part will malfunction many miles from home. For my wife and me, that feeling will probably persist until we make several more extended trips and NOT have to face slide-out, water tank, and/or Girard issues.

Erin also mentions service (or lack thereof) from Evergreen. All three of the RV dealerships I've used to remedy my Bay Hill's problems have commented on Evergreen's non-communicativeness (phone messages not returned, unanswered faxes, etc.) in dealing with warranty or extended warranty issues. "Oh, yes, we'll have the parts out to you right away..." promises have fallen flat on a fender skirt, two water tanks, and slide-out motors in my case. Does it take almost four months to get a simple fender skirt or slide motors to a service provider? Maybe there is a possible shakeup at Evergreen as Erin points out. The service rep where my Bay Hill was last repaired said that he was told Evergreen fired a novice Parts Manager for botching a bunch of parts orders. One has to wonder whether Evergreen/Lifestyle is over its corporate head in producing their expanded line of travel trailers, 5th wheels, and toy haulers, sacrificing basic customer service and quality control in favor of making a splash in the RV industry. Other manufacturers have followed that path into the crevice of oblivion!

So...whatchagonna do? In our case, it's make more trips and try to enjoy the RV adventure until we absolutely hit the wall. Hopefully that will be later than sooner.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #224

Evergreen Owners Club
Troubles behind me...hope sohttp://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm hoping, Vinecat, that our spate of troubles are in the past. As Erin pointed out on July 21, you want to enjoy the anticipation of making a trip and not have the nagging feeling that some trailer part will malfunction many miles from home. For my wife and me, that feeling will probably persist until we make several more extended trips and NOT have to face slide-out, water tank, and/or Girard issues.

Erin also mentions service (or lack thereof) from Evergreen. All three of the RV dealerships I've used to remedy my Bay Hill's problems have commented on Evergreen's non-communicativeness (phone messages not returned, unanswered faxes, etc.) in dealing with warranty or extended warranty issues. "Oh, yes, we'll have the parts out to you right away..." promises have fallen flat on a fender skirt, two water tanks, and slide-out motors in my case. Does it take almost four months to get a simple fender skirt or slide motors to a service provider? Maybe there is a possible shakeup at Evergreen as Erin points out. The service rep where my Bay Hill was last repaired said that he was told Evergreen fired a novice Parts Manager for botching a bunch of parts orders. One has to wonder whether Evergreen/Lifestyle is over its corporate head in producing their expanded line of travel trailers, 5th wheels, and toy haulers, sacrificing basic customer service and quality control in favor of making a splash in the RV industry. Other manufacturers have followed that path into the crevice of oblivion!

So...whatchagonna do? In our case, it's make more trips and try to enjoy the RV adventure until we absolutely hit the wall. Hopefully that will be later than sooner.

Tags
evergreen