Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #239

Evergreen Owners Club
Hey Ken was the rear tank the only one that wasn't mounted good on yours or have you looked at any of the forward tanks at all? Just curious if I need to have them pull the entire underpinning and inspect it or not.

Chad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #240

Evergreen Owners Club
Other tanks

Chad--

I have had no other tank issues. The black and gray tanks seem to be stable. Also, I have not read about anyone else having problems with the gray water or black water tanks shifting or cracking. I believe someone did have a balky release valve handle that needed some attention.

My wife asked if the other tanks were checked and I'm guessing they probably were but don't know for sure.

Ken

KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #241

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks Ken. I talked to United RV yesterday and they were ahead of me, they said they were already going to inspect all the tanks due to the rear tank issue. I love working with these guys! Just hopefully we catch most of the big problems before I take delivery, at least I dont have to worry about the water heater issues! Whew!

Chad
Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #242

Evergreen Owners Club
Keep those problems away!

Hi Chad...

A new trailer, especially one that is just coming out of production, should have NO problems in an ideal RV world. I'm glad you're being proactive in having your respective tanks inspected and, hopefully, tested.

I'm sure you've thought about some other items to inspect or have demonstrated when you do the walk-thru.

Check that the fender skirt edges are not too close to the tires. I had to have both my skirts trimmed since they were about 1/8" away from the tires.
Make sure the auto-leveling system is not displaying error codes and you get a full demonstration of the leveling process. It's a thing of beauty when the leveling system is working correctly!
Slide movement and alignment: Listen to the slides going in and out. My wife commented when we took delivery that the entertainment slide-out sounded very loud and made popping sounds. We got the "that's normal" story and, believe me, normalcy never worked sooooooooooo badly!
Raise and lower the shades to make sure none needs to be adjusted.
The cable television hookups: Ours did not work and the connectors were not labeled to differentiate between cable and satellite systems.
And speaking of labels, I'm sure you know this already but in several Bay Hill posts the galley water tank drain is underneath the trailer just to the left of the sewer hose outlet but is not labeled.

Good luck on the tanks and the overall RVing experience in your new 5th wheel.

Ken
Old 08-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #243

Texas Boomers Club
I would also add that if you intend to use satellite TV, bring a receiver with you so they can hook it up and show you what you may need to do as you travel.

Of course, fill and drain all holding tanks, both gray and black water and then drain them, so that you will know which valves to open.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #244

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks for the excellent checklist folks. Yeah, I have been reading about all these issues on this thread. I cant believe the slides are having so many issues, but I guess if Bay Hill and the dealers dont know enough about them yet to install correctly and advise proper care and usage it is a bit understandable. I am used to looking for the extra galley valve under the trailer because my Keystone Everest has the same stupid design......valve is under the main slide by itself. I am taking a sat receiver with me to the PDI because I am having a Winegard Trav'ler installed and the trailer re-wired to my specs, which United had no problem with, just had to go over what I wanted in detail with the tech. He is running new wires to the wall in the front compartment so I can build my distribution how I need it at any time, plus an extra coax from the entertainment center to the exterior rear cap for my cell booster's outside antenna. I know when I looked at it before it went in the shop, the bottom half of two slides was hanging off!! Lol. I said "what the hell??" The owner was there with me and just laughed, he said alot of new trailers have that issue from all his manufacturers, Bay Hill, Forest River, ect. He said thats ok, when we fix them, they are installed better than what the factory can do anyway, and when I went in last time, he was right.....they were fixed and looked great all the way around. Guess the dealers have alot on their plate with RV manufactures' b.s. these days. Its such a shame when you pay the kind of money this Bay Hill is costing me, but even with a few issues, Im hoping it is better than my aging Everest. I am curious what you mean by checking the shades Ken.....never messed with them in my "E". And I wont know what to do with myself having this "auto level" system!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #245

Evergreen Owners Club
Shades and poetic stuff

Chad...if your wife smacks you with the news "these darn shades won't stay up," you'll take a quick perusal and see that maybe a string has broken or the adjustment screw(s) need tensioning. Better to test the shades at delivery because in most cases it's an easy fix but can be a real pain in the backside if you're trying to find some way to clamp them or prop them up when you get to your destination and want to see what's going on outside the window!

OK...so I waxed poetic when I quoted the famous poet John Keats "a thing of beauty is a joy forever" in referring to the auto-leveling system, but when you hit the Auto Level button after pulling your truck away from the trailer and the leveling system is working as advertised, you'll be so happy that you'll spout poetry too! ) To me, the Auto Level system is the best feature of the Bay Hill trailer.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #246

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks for clearing that up Ken, I'll know how to check the shades now. Yup, I agree the auto level system is a big selling feature. I hope before too long I get to read some happy stories about your RV and your nightmares go away so you can enjoy your Bay Hill instead of being "gun shy" every time you go out.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #247

Evergreen Owners Club
Wow such great information! I just read through this entire thread, mainly because we are looking at a Bay Hill385BH. I am new to this forum ,any form for that matter, and new to RVing. We will be buying an RV in the Texas area sometime late February. I am at a great disadvantage because I'm in the military and stationed in Hawaii where are there are no RV dealers. I'm very good with research and have been diving into this thing headfirst. I do have a couple questions for anyone who would like to answer.

For those of you with a Bay hill 385BH, what vehicle are you using to tow with? I'm currently looking at Ford's F250, and F350 DRW.

Also anybody that's in the Texas area could you recommend a dealer to work with! We will be flying into San Antonio and picking up our tow vehicle there. from there we will make a drive to Alabama which is where I will be stationed next. We have anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks to get our fifth wheel. I know this is a very compressed time schedule for this type of purchase that's why we are starting now in research. I would be okay using a dealer in Texas or in Louisiana I have family support groups in those areas. Does anybody have any recommendations?

For those of you who had your RV special ordered from Evergreen how long does that process take?

Thanks
Shawn
Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #248

Evergreen Owners Club
Welcome Shawn,

In my opinion you will need the the 350DRW to safely pull the 385BH. In the brochure it has a dry weight of 12,485 plus, plus.
Chad (texascowboy) is about to take delivery of his 385BH from United RV in Texas. I'm sure he will join in the conversation when he can.

Keith
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #249

Evergreen Owners Club
Hi Shawn,
I will be pulling my 385BH with an f450, but for the size of the trailer, an f350 would be great. I dont think I would pull a trailer this size with any 3/4 ton pickup, a one ton is more equipped to handle this load and a dually gives you better stability when the wind hits you which is what I like. As far as dealers, as Keith was saying, I am about to take delivery of my 385BH from United RV in Fort Worth. Phil Bertram has been the best to work with and take care of my deal. If Fort Worth is too far, check with RV Land in Kyle, TX, just outside of Houston. The owner's name is Lance Stewart and he is a really nice guy. I spoke him a bunch but decided to go with United because they are where I live and if you read this forum at all you will see getting your follow up service can be a bear, so purchasing from a quality dealer thats still close enough to do any warranty work was important to me (especially since many dealers, even though they deal in Bay Hill, arent keen on warranty work unless you bought it there). I do know United had no 385's in stock 2 weeks ago (not sure now), but RV Land does have a gorgeous one that was on sale a couple weeks ago.
Lance Stewart
RV Land
23401 N. IH-35
Kyle, TX 78640
Main: 512-234-MYRV (6978)
Cell: 512-567-2757

Well good luck and keep us informed on how everything goes. Its great to have another (future) owner here!

Chad
Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #250

Evergreen Owners Club
Chad

Thanks for the great advice especially about the truck we were definitely leaning towards F350 especially after running the numbers yesterday for an F250. For the amount of weight we will be putting in the back it didn't seem like the 250 had enough you know. And also for my weights I've been using the maximum weight of the trailer could be to figure out if the tow truck to tow it.. For the F250 that puts it right there on the line. And it puts the rear at axle over on pin weight. Neither of those dealers are too far from us while we're in Texas. Since we would be buying a brand-new truck we need to put some miles on it before I start towing something like that. I will definitely call both of those dealers and check them out. However once we move to Alabama warranty repairs from those dealers probably will not work out for us.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowboy View Post
Hi Shawn,
I will be pulling my 385BH with an f450, but for the size of the trailer, an f350 would be great. I dont think I would pull a trailer this size with any 3/4 ton pickup, a one ton is more equipped to handle this load and a dually gives you better stability when the wind hits you which is what I like. As far as dealers, as Keith was saying, I am about to take delivery of my 385BH from United RV in Fort Worth. Phil Bertram has been the best to work with and take care of my deal. If Fort Worth is too far, check with RV Land in Kyle, TX, just outside of Houston. The owner's name is Lance Stewart and he is a really nice guy. I spoke him a bunch but decided to go with United because they are where I live and if you read this forum at all you will see getting your follow up service can be a bear, so purchasing from a quality dealer thats still close enough to do any warranty work was important to me (especially since many dealers, even though they deal in Bay Hill, arent keen on warranty work unless you bought it there). I do know United had no 385's in stock 2 weeks ago (not sure now), but RV Land does have a gorgeous one that was on sale a couple weeks ago.
Lance Stewart
RV Land
23401 N. IH-35
Kyle, TX 78640
Main: 512-234-MYRV (6978)
Cell: 512-567-2757

Well good luck and keep us informed on how everything goes. Its great to have another (future) owner here!

Chad
Chad,

I just wanted to echo your comments regarding RV Land owned by Lance Stewart In Kyle, Texas. We bought our Bay Hill from Lance last November. In fact, we were Lance's very first customer. He appears to be a very reputable dealer and he treated us very well. There have been a few issues with our Bay Hill, nothing major, and Lance and his staff have been very responsive. He has good technicians (Chris and Matt)working for him who in addition to being very pleasant, have a good skills set. I also like what he is doing with his place in Kyle. He started small, which is the right way to start a venture, and has been slowly expanding. A small correction, Kyle is located just south of Austin, Texas right on IH 35. We live in Comfort, Texas and are about an hour and a half from Kyle.

John
Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #252

Evergreen Owners Club
Sorry John,
Your right, I had looked it up on google when I first talked with Lance and for some dumb reason though I remembered it being by Houston. Lol. Yeah I really enjoyed talking to Lance also, and as I said he is a great guy to deal with.....really honest and fair. I cant say I regret my decision to buy from United though, they are just as great and honest I feel. When I went up there to check on the progress of my coach, I met every tech that was working on it, they just came up and introduced themselves. They asked alot of questions about EXACTLY what I wanted done and changed and assured me it would be done better than I expect. It makes ya feel way more comfortable about the purchase when the dealer is as attentive to your needs like United has been with me. The owners of the dealership have no problem being involved with every step, and are friendly enough to chat with me every time I come through the door. I love it so far! Either way ya go Shawn, I think you'll be happy. Both dealers seem to try their hardest to catch EVERY factory goof up before you even take delivery, which should minimize any warranty work you need.

Chad

Tags
evergreen