Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #253

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowboy View Post
Sorry John,
Your right, I had looked it up on google when I first talked with Lance and for some dumb reason though I remembered it being by Houston. Lol. Yeah I really enjoyed talking to Lance also, and as I said he is a great guy to deal with.....really honest and fair. I cant say I regret my decision to buy from United though, they are just as great and honest I feel. When I went up there to check on the progress of my coach, I met every tech that was working on it, they just came up and introduced themselves. They asked alot of questions about EXACTLY what I wanted done and changed and assured me it would be done better than I expect. It makes ya feel way more comfortable about the purchase when the dealer is as attentive to your needs like United has been with me. The owners of the dealership have no problem being involved with every step, and are friendly enough to chat with me every time I come through the door. I love it so far! Either way ya go Shawn, I think you'll be happy. Both dealers seem to try their hardest to catch EVERY factory goof up before you even take delivery, which should minimize any warranty work you need.

Chad

So quick question on the buying process of your coach. So I'm guessing the normal way is you go in select the type of coach you want. And then selected all the options? And after you selected the type, the dealer has a certain amount of time to put the options in? For us some of the most important are the dishwasher, the extra air conditioning, dual pane windows and the central vacuuming unit.
Is that why it was taking so long for you to get your coach? Or did you already do a pre-purchase inspection and found lots of things wrong that they had to correct?

And on that note from the pre-purchased inspection how long does it normally take the dealer to correct all of the discrepancies? I do understand that some discrepancies are going to take longer to fix than others but on average how long did it take from your prepurchase inspection until actually driving off the lot?

I will definitely give both of those dealers a call.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:46 AM   #254

Evergreen Owners Club
We purchased a 2014 385BH and a 2014 f350 super duty king ranch diesel,though it is a short bed we installed the slider hitch and have no problem at all towing fully loaded anywhere we go. The suspension lowers maybe 2 or 3 inches max
It has been great

Old 08-12-2014, 01:56 AM   #255

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnAna View Post
We purchased a 2014 385BH and a 2014 f350 super duty king ranch diesel,though it is a short bed we installed the slider hitch and have no problem at all towing fully loaded anywhere we go. The suspension lowers maybe 2 or 3 inches max
It has been great

Richnana

If you don't mind me asking Is your F350 a DRW? I like the idea of the DRW (dual rear wheel), but the look of it is not my favorite. The reason we will be going with the DRW is that when we upgrade campers to a heavier camper we will not have to upgrade our vehicle. And you guys don't have a problem with towing with the short bed? I also like the idea of the short bad versus the long bed. I didn't think you were able to get the goose neck prep the short bed? I'm not familiar with the slider hitch but by the time you read this I will probably have already researched it. Thanks for your comments. Definitely makes me feel better that we are going in the right direction.

Shawn
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #256

Evergreen Owners Club
Shawn,
The buying process is different depending on your needs. The 385BH does not come standard with a dishwasher like some models so I guess you would need to order the trailer or find one you like and have the dishwasher ordered and installed. The duel pane windows could already be in there depending on how the dealer orders theirs. Mine has the central vac and second A/C already there but because of where the trailer will be used, I opted to have the front A/C changed from a 13K to a 15K so now I have two 15K A/C's on the coach. I also did not want the "built in" dinette and couch combo that comes standard, I wanted an empty main slide with 2 recliners so I can add a desk in the slide and have room for my small deep freezer. I also had a Winegard Trav'ler automatic sat dish installed onto of the coach with custom tv wiring so I could route the tv however I want at any time, which on the rounded roof of the Bay Hill United had a custom mounting plate built to make it flat and look awsome. And I also swapped out the regular microwave for a convection microwave.....love those things! And lastly, I had a Reece "goose box" installed so I dont need a fifth wheel hitch, I just keep my gooseneck ball and my frame warranty, lol. I just picked the coach on their website and started the process. Since then, I have gone and looked through the coach several times, but haven't found but one thing that was goofy. I talk to Kevin, the service manager, once a week and he tells me a list of things that has been done and checked. I got a little better price at United due to the way they have worked with me on my modifications. Phil Bertram has been excellent. I am working right now and wont be home for a few more weeks so I was in no rush, but if I were in your shoes on more of a time table, they would have had this done weeks ago, I just told them not to hurry. From what United told me, when I do my PDI (pre-delivery inspection) they will fix everything possible that I find right then while I wait, but they are seriously quick if they have to fix any warranty issues (depending on time to get parts from Bay Hill). And again, the service manager Kevin is looking over everything and nit picking about as bad as I would because those guys dont want anything wrong during the PDI, he personally wants to catch things before the customer does. Again on your truck, there is more solid feel in wind with a DRW truck and depending on your hitch, a short bed is fine. You can absolutely put a gooseneck in a short bed and either get a fifth wheel hitch of some kind or have the "goose box" installed on the coach, it gives you more room in the bed to carry things without that big fifth wheel hitch. Well enough rambling on, you've got alot of options and trust me, the dealers can do whatever you want......just tell them thats how it has to be and they'll get it done. Have Fun!

Chad
Old 08-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #257

Evergreen Owners Club
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXBACK View Post
Richnana

If you don't mind me asking Is your F350 a DRW? I like the idea of the DRW (dual rear wheel), but the look of it is not my favorite. The reason we will be going with the DRW is that when we upgrade campers to a heavier camper we will not have to upgrade our vehicle. And you guys don't have a problem with towing with the short bed? I also like the idea of the short bad versus the long bed. I didn't think you were able to get the goose neck prep the short bed? I'm not familiar with the slider hitch but by the time you read this I will probably have already researched it. Thanks for your comments. Definitely makes me feel better that we are going in the right direction.

Shawn
Our F350 is a SRW the slider hitch is made for short beds it is forward for towing and slides back for maneuvering around into a space, always make sure it is slid back and locked if backing and making tight turns or you may remodel your cab.
The king ranch has a much heavier duty suspension the other models may need air bag additions I'm not sure.
The bayhill being composite is pretty light, if you were switching to a toy hauler or heavier coach I would research further.
For what we are towing and fully loaded since we are full time with a 4 year old it works well.
We did make one change, hated the euro couch/dinette so pulled it out and put in a full slide leather sofa with recliners in every seating section, it's great, the couch came with the additional table so we never used the dinette.
Also love the tankless water heater as long as you make sure the propane is set to 11 lbs it is trouble free.
Happy motoring
Old 08-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #258

Evergreen Owners Club
Chad

Wow that really sounds awesome. And also I did not think about taking out the table dinette and couch area. I think what we're going to need is some sort of computer station and desk area. But I'm pretty handy building furniture and custom stuff to put dang near anywhere, so I figured it would just be something that I would do. I didn't think of making at the dealers. I'll probably be giving those dealers that you recommended a call this week sometime. I don't know if it's kosher to talk price on this forum. But do you think I would be able to get all of those options and stay within 50 to 60,000? I have seen that model go up to as high as 90.

Also you mentioned you change to a Gooseneck hitch. I saw those in my research and was led to believe that those were only on, or mostly on, trailers that were used for commercial use. I like the idea of having a lot of more area in the bed of the truck. I don't exactly like the look of a long bed but I think I would get more use out of a long bed then a short bed. And overall I will be happier. So I will be going with the long bed and the DRW. I did look at the slider hitches and those seemed really interesting. But if I go with a long bed I get more room and I don't have to work with a heavier slider hitch in the back of the truck. Now this particular fifth wheel comes with some sort of air cushion on the trailer to help dampen vibrations back into the trailer while in motion. Correct? When changing to a gooseneck aren't you losing that? That to me seemed like something important. However I like the fact that if I went with the gooseneck I would be able to use my truck a whole lot more like a truck after I park which is important to me. And I wouldn't have to worry about the big part of the hitch and storing it somewhere. Plus that would save me money from buying the hitch for the truck. I only looked at what it would cost from Ford which is over $1000.

Shawn
Old 08-13-2014, 01:11 AM   #259

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnAna View Post
Our F350 is a SRW the slider hitch is made for short beds it is forward for towing and slides back for maneuvering around into a space, always make sure it is slid back and locked if backing and making tight turns or you may remodel your cab.

The king ranch has a much heavier duty suspension the other models may need air bag additions I'm not sure.

The bayhill being composite is pretty light, if you were switching to a toy hauler or heavier coach I would research further.

For what we are towing and fully loaded since we are full time with a 4 year old it works well.

We did make one change, hated the euro couch/dinette so pulled it out and put in a full slide leather sofa with recliners in every seating section, it's great, the couch came with the additional table so we never used the dinette.

Also love the tankless water heater as long as you make sure the propane is set to 11 lbs it is trouble free.

Happy motoring

It is good to know that the short bed is definitely an option. thank you for bringing the slider hitch to my attention otherwise I would've never researched that stuff. Right now we are currently looking at the Lariat level for F350. I will definitely take a look at the King Ranch to see if I get any more capability out of the truck.

Yeah about the dinette, chad brought it up in his last comment and I never really thought about pulling it out and replacing it with something else. But I definitely will look at other options for that. Yours sounds great as well. especially in that model there is a table that folds off the wall in the kids room(I mean bunkhouse). I imagine that is going to be perfect for homework. We will be going full-time with our six-year-old so having a desk she can call her own is kind of important for us.

I've read all the posts about the tankless water heater and we think we can make it work. Yes we understand there may be a small learning curve with a couple of hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold showers. But we love the idea of when we are hooked up being able to take really long hot showers. I think that will make a big difference for us for timing in this RV. I think we will love that just as much is you guys.

So when putting in furniture to take the place of the dinette and standard couch to dealers have a catalog to look through? Or are you pulling stuff out of just any furniture store?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #260

Tiffin Owners Club
Just one reminder if you think it is significant. The original microwave over the stove has an exhaust fan, but it does not vent to the outside. All it does is blow any smoke or steam throughout the coach. I've seen some have the vent installed on the wall behind the microwave. It has a little flap that closes when not in use. I opted for a fantastic fan over the kitchen which works out well. However I wish I read your posts before purchasing because when I bought our 385BH one year ago, I was told that I could not get a 15,000 btu A/C unit in the bedroom. I had to settle for a 12000 btu unit and they could not connect it to the existing duct work. It is free hanging unit with dial controls on the unit.
When they installed the fantastic vent, they connected it to the lights over the kitchen sink. So in order for the fan to come on, I have to turn the lights on first. They told me that was the only way it can be hooked up. Well, now I know better, much better and wish I could reverse time. That was LaMessa RV in West Palm Beach, Fl. I certainly wouldn't recommend purchasing or having any unit serviced there or any other La Messa dealerships.

I do have one question for the fellow that had the 15,000 btu A/C installed in the bedroom. Did they connect it to the existing duct work, or is it free hanging?

thanks,
Bob
Old 08-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #261

Evergreen Owners Club
Bob,
Coleman makes a 15k low pro a/c that’s exactly like the one that’s already there so they just replaced it and hooked it to the original ducting. I also tossed around the idea of the fantastic fan but Evergreen dragged their feet saying they were not sure if it would void my roof warranty so I think we've tossed the idea out. United did tell me the same thing about the power hook up going to the lights but I didn’t care because I won’t be cooking in the dark anyway, lol. Maybe we’ll have to revisit it if yours worked out great.

Shawn,
Not arguing with anyone but the King Ranch has the same rear suspension as any trim level, it is just a top line trim level. I have air bags on my truck solely for keeping my headlights aligned while the load is on. My truck, although it’s an F450, is still a Lariat trim and rides great with or without the bags. I work in the oilfield and our fleet has 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks of all trims, they all pull the same as the rest of their class no matter the trim level. As far as the furniture, I love having recliners in my coach and love having a small desk for my laptop and printer. I will be moving the small folding table into the slide and putting my deep freeze where the table was to keep the weight out of the slide. It all made United scratch their head, but they had no problem doing it. I was fortunate there was another couple buying a Bay Hill rear living that wanted a couch instead of their recliners so United just swapped their recliners into my trailer for free and kept the stock furniture (I have no place to store it). They do have furniture books to look at I was told but I didn’t need them. As far as the hitch, the gooseneck is used mostly on cargo and commercial trailers and until Reese made their goose box, you had to buy an adapter to make your RV hook to a gooseneck ball, but that would void your frame warranty. With the goose box, Lippert (who makes the frame) fully approves and warranty’s the frame. Also the goose box has an air bag built into it for a soft ride just like the “trail air” pin box that usually comes on the Bay Hill, so you get extra room in the bed and still keep your air ride on the coach. They say the goose box works with short beds also, but I have a long bed so I haven’t seen it. The only real drawback that I see from having a gooseneck hitch is that it can take a couple extra minutes to hook up, depending on your backing up to the trailer skills. As far as the price, I just had them charge me the difference in price between the new “trail air” that was on the coach and the new “goose box”, which I believe was $600 or $700 dollars…..worth it to me to not have to purchase a big bulky fifth wheel hitch and deal with putting it in and pulling it out all the time, and most new Fords come with a factory gooseneck these days so that makes it even easier. And the price of mine is around $60,000 or so with everything I had done (wont get specific cause I don't know if its ok on here), but it started in the mid to upper 50's range. I had the dealer do so much work to begin with because although I can do most of the work, I just don’t feel like spending time modifying a new RV, I just want to pick it up and start enjoying it right away.

Chad
Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #262

Evergreen Owners Club
I am interested in knowing about the air conditioner as well. For at least the next two years we will be in Alabama where it is really really hot and humid. And my poor wife would not be able to take it without the air conditioner. So I'm thinking the more air conditioner power the better.
And also to add to his question would you guys still be able to keep cool if one of your air conditioners went out? Is the one 15,000 BTU enough to cool the whole camper?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #263

Evergreen Owners Club
Since I haven't taken delivery of mine yet, I cant speak from experience like many owners here, but the 15k swap was no problem at all for United to do, we just made sure they went back with a low profile like whats on it for clearance issues. I do know in the RV I have now, one 15k ducted and one 13k non-ducted keeps it ok (77 - 82) in west Texas heat of 102 - 107, but if you are cooking it can quickly heat the coach to the mid 80's. If one a/c is not up to par or goes out, it gets pretty hot in my Keystone during the day. The temp swing between day and night can be crazy due to the direct sun and heat, almost 80 daytime and 64 to 66 at night. That's exactly why I opted for a second 15k....with both working, it should have no trouble at all keeping up even in the hottest of temps, that's my thinking at least.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #264

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I'm in South Florida where it sure does get hot. Not in the 100's, but in the low 90's with high humidity. The heat under a clear sky can be devastating.
I remember a year ago when we were looking at the 385BH at the La Messa dealer where the salesman was going over the A/C units and how cool it will make the coach. We were there about an hour with everything running and I noticed it was quite warm. I asked the salesman if he was sure this unit had 2 A/c units because I only saw one thermostat. We went outside and sure enough there was only one 15000 btu unit on the coach. That is why it was so warm. After getting hooked on the unit, I opted for a unit in the bedroom. (We use to own a 38ft fiver and it had the same hookup and worked fine.) They told me they could only put in a 12,500 btu unit and it could not be hooked up to the duct work like the brochure advertised. Well I accepted it as this would be the same arrangement as my previous fiver.
We have the coach one year now, and I really must say that both A/C units are great. I get the coach down to 75 degrees in the middle of the day and both units go off and on by thermostat. The one disadvantage on the bedroom unit it is that the fan is always on even when the compressor is off. With 20/20 hindsight, I should have ordered two 15,000 btu heat pump units and both ducted. This gives a more even distribution of temperature. Now, the bedroom is noticeably cooler than the rest of the coach, especially when both compressors are running. That's not a bad thing, but would have been nice to move the cold air from the bedroom into the salon area where everyone watches TV, cooks and uses the computer. If one of the units fail, I know that the coach will warm up. However I don't think it will be unbearable. If it's the 15000 btu unit that fails, I'm going into the bedroom and locking the door.....even if I freeze.
Hope this helps
Bob
Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #265

Tiffin Owners Club
Chad,
The fantastic vent is really working out great.....DW burned the bacon and it only took minutes to get the smoke out. I did tell her it sure smelled good as it was exiting.
I had a fight with La Messa when they installed the vent. I insisted on a rain cover for it and they tried talking me out of it because it has rain sensors. Well we leave the coach for about 2 weeks between uses and it's nice to have an open vent in the middle of the coach, especially in South Florida. Well they finally caved in and put the rain cover on it. When we leave the coach, I turn on the light, turn on the fan, then turn of the light which leaves the vent in the full open position, not running, yet protected by the rain cover. When we get back to the coach, there is never that stuffy sensation you get like when entering a parked car left out in the sun. Yes, it's hot, but not stuffy hot and it cools down in about 30 minutes with both A/C units running.
Bob
Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #266

Evergreen Owners Club
We got the couch at camping world it's modular and you can make it as long or as short as you want add theatre rm rests with cup holder if you want.
Very versatile.
The factory couch come out by removing 5 wood screws to lift the weird v shaped back out of the track, it is not fastened to the slide at all.
In the bunkhouse the fold out sofa is not practical, when it is opened up you can't open the bedroom door, so we removed it and built in a custom bed for our daughter.
The tankless system has a few things to remember, 1. Make sure the propane regulator is set at 11 psi 2. Set your temperature using the wall dial in the bathroom and 3. Turn the hot water all the way on and don't use the cold water at all.
As you get use to the system you learn when and how to add small amount of cold water.
As far as the truck no matter hitch hit you go with make sure the truck is hitch ready which you can tell if in the bed there are 4 plastic plugs in a square shape and one large plug in the middle. The 4 plugs are for a fifth wheel hitch and the one in the center is for the gooseneck hitch. The wiring is also per wired inside the bed.
The plugs go to the under the bed tracks that have to be installed on the frame.
If it is not already there you have to install one which entails removing the truck bed which can take several hours so it's easier if you get the truck with it already installed.
One additional item I got was a backup camera installed on the bayhill, it is wireless and I so I added the optional extended antenna to shorten the distance of the signal it took care of losing the signal.
There were a few additional things I added and modified to make life easier.

Tags
evergreen