Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #281

Evergreen Owners Club
We found when we set up after an hour or so AC would shut off & living area not so comfy,Closed ceiling vents in bathroom & kitchen area to let air go to living room & bedroom ,,AC now runs constant until temp is more even.As cowboy mentioned a big space & radiant heat even with thermopane windows.Thermostat is mounted on interior wall in hallway where it cools quickly then shuts down until temp stabilizes

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #282

Evergreen Owners Club
For those who own the Bayhill 385 bh. Did anybody take a look at the Alpha gold 385bh? I'm doing research now on that one and comparing it against the Bayhill. And I was wondering if anybody else did this before buying their Bayhill? Exact same floor plan and the exact same construction as the Bayhill, but I hear the retail value is about $15,000 more. They do have some cool options that we are interested in like the refrigerator with ice maker. And the extra 15000 BTU air conditioner. Bayhill Rep told me that it just has upgraded fabric and countertops. Does anybody have an opinion or have seen this RV?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #283

Tiffin Owners Club
When we looked at our 385bh, the salesman swore it had 2 A/C units. After sitting in it for a while, I realized that there could only be 1 A/C unit. It never really cooled down and you could feel the humidity in the coach. We went outside and looked up on the roof and confirmed it only had one A/C unit. One 15,000 btu A/C unit cannot cool down or even maintain temperature in the warmer climates experienced in the south, especially in Florida. In the northern states, the temperature drop in the evening and one A/C unit can maintain the temperature. In Florida we experience 90 during the day and only 80 in the evening. One unit just doesn't do it.
I was a little upset because when 2 A/C units come from the factory they are both connected to the same duct system which distributes the cold air evenly. On my unit, they installed a second unit in the bedroom, however it is not connected to the duct system and the air circulates from the ceiling. This makes the bedroom much cooler and sometimes tricks the factory installed thermostat which is mounted by the stairs going up to the bedroom.
In hind sight, I should not have purchased this unit. What happens is that you get smitten and don't want to let go in fear you won't find another like it.
I know they make a winter package for use in the cold, which mine has, but I think they should look into offering a southern package for those of us in the hot south. I think that the sales in the south outnumber the north but not sure. This package should include extra insulation in the ceiling, thermal pane glass, thicker and more dense insulation in the walls to keep out humidity. Two 15,000 btu heat pump units ducted together. In the southern states, the heat pumps will give enough heat to keep the coach warm during those few cold days without firing up a furnace. The tankless water heater is nice, but a 10 gal. hot water heater that is both electric and gas is better. Why use your gas when the campground provides the electricity. There should also be a high powered exhaust fan that can get any smoke out of the coach quickly. This coach comes with a recirculating exhaust under the microwave that really doesn't do anything but spread the smoke throughout the coach. The window coverings should be day night. The standard on this coach is light emitting which is nice that it keeps it bright in the coach, but in the south, they feel like radiators giving off a lot of heat. I have to put reflective coverings on all the windows facing west to keep the heat out. The awning should be made of sunbrella material. The vinyl awnings are usually laminated with a colorful side on top and white on the bottom. The heat from the southern sun de-laminates the vinyl quickly. The dome over the shower should not be clear as this gives off tremendous heat during the daytime in the southern sky. As a matter of fact, all the vents should have dark vent rain covers so they can be left open when needed.
This is what I learned after living in the Florida over 26 years and even with all this experience, I purchased a unit that the dealer had in stock that did not meet any of those requirements because I thought if I ordered one from the factory like that it would be much more expensive because it is always better to buy from what is on the lot anticipating discounts from the dealer.
In short, if you want to stay cool, make sure you have 2 A/C units. You can always turn off one.
Bob
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #284

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXBACK View Post
For those who own the Bayhill 385 bh. Did anybody take a look at the Alpha gold 385bh? I'm doing research now on that one and comparing it against the Bayhill. And I was wondering if anybody else did this before buying their Bayhill? Exact same floor plan and the exact same construction as the Bayhill, but I hear the retail value is about $15,000 more. They do have some cool options that we are interested in like the refrigerator with ice maker. And the extra 15000 BTU air conditioner. Bayhill Rep told me that it just has upgraded fabric and countertops. Does anybody have an opinion or have seen this RV?

I did look at the Alpha when I found the Bay Hill and like you, I saw no real difference......the only real difference I could find is the frame. The Bay Hill is built on a Bay Hill designed Lippert 12" I-beam frame where as the Alpha is built on Lifestyle's Titan double box frame that's built in-house at Lifestyle. From what I have seen though, it is not quite the same beefy double box frame the big Lifestyle coaches use. It is a double box, but the tongue area and frame under the bedroom and shower are built like an I-beam frame, no steel box frame under the shower like the Lifestyle. So my feeling was although the frame is double box, it is designed very similar to the Lippert frame and since the Lippert has 12" I-beams it should be strong enough for what I need and not worth spending the extra 15K to 20K for the coach. As far as the extra 15k a/c, the Bay Hill can have 2 units, just have the dealer swap the front 13k for a 15k......less than a thousand dollars and done deal. Everything else, including the fridge, looks the exact same to me (don't know about the ice maker). That's why I just went with the Bay Hill, the frame difference is not enough to justify the price difference to me.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #285

Evergreen Owners Club
I completely agree with you Bob. They should make a southern insulation package for these that adds better shades, thermal tinting or glass, and better insulation. I also agree about water heater. While it is nice to have the option of an endless hot shower, I would rather not be constantly running to get propane. I am ALWAYS on electric shore power so I love having a standard water heater that has an electric element so I dont have to use so much propane. Because I do like a nice shower, I just upgraded the water heater to a 12 gallon (they have a 16 gal. also, but I was told it wouldn't fit), the extra 2 gallons gives me PLENTY of hot water for my showers. Also, the on-demand heaters dont like hard water at all from what I have been told, possibly more problems down the road? Oh btw, thanks for the insight on the exhaust fan Bob, United is installing mine as we speak!!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #286

Evergreen Owners Club
We just bought the 295RL. Have had a Monaco Coach Want to try this one. Lots of useful info on this site. Love the layout.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #287

Evergreen Owners Club
The temp was set at 75. It only had 1 unit. This is never work for Hubby. We live in Ore and plan on going were it is warm. I found another unit same model with 2 units. It seems to be hard to find thermal pane windows. I have searched the internet for all options. Found one that will work for us. We plan on picking that one up end of Sept.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #288

Evergreen Owners Club
Just got off the phone with Bay Hill. I called basically to have them tell me why they think someone should choose their coach over the other coaches with similar floor plans and features. I spoke with a guy named Dymon who deals with the Bay Hill's and wow, he was great! Very friendly and very informative. He gave me honest information that wasn't pointing out features that everyone has, but features that separate them from others. He also confirmed the differences between the Alpha and the Bay Hill, mostly being the frame and just a couple of small features (one being that the Alpha has a cord reel, sweet!) But all-in-all, not much differences. There is another RV out there that uses almost the same floor plan (not naming names here), but it rides on a 10" I-beam frame instead of a 12" and it has an electric leveling system that needs the "strong arm" stabilizers to help the coach stay put and we discussed these differences because he was actually aware of this coach and knew right off what it had and its specs compared to his. FOXBACK, he also said that the way dual pane windows are being made for RV's these days is different than it used to be and in his opinion is not an option worth getting at all. He was honest enough to tell me straight out that yes, they've had some issues in the past with different things.....the line is very new, but they are working to make everything excellent and after he elaborated on it some, I believe him. He said these coaches were built with full timers in mind, not built for the recreational user. He explained the roof, side walls, floors and insulation to me in detail and said that they actually put the maximum amount of insulation they can in the walls, any thicker and it would just compact and not benefit much more. I know that after speaking with him, I am more sold than ever on choosing the Bay Hill over other brands. I believe they really are trying to build a high end coach at a price us working folks can afford. Just thought I'd share this with ya'll.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #289

Evergreen Owners Club
Chad

This last weekend I called Phil and left a message on his voicemail. I have not gotten a return call from him yet. I will try to call him again this Saturday. If everything is going well with him and I don't get any other red flags we will probably buy from his dealership. We have family that are local in that area. So when we come up from San Antonio to pick up our RV we will be able to see them and use them as a base for any repairs that they have to redo from our pre-inspection. We will probably be ordering one brand-new. And with all the things that you talked about that you had them do to yours there are lots of things that I would like the same. Next week I will go to Indonesia for about a month and a half and will not be able to work on RV stuff. But I would like to talk to Phil prior to leaving so at least I am on his radar. Like I said before we've got a very(about a week) tight time schedule for actual RV pick up. So I would like to talk to him and get ours ordered at some point, based on his recommendation on how long it's going take to receive it. Also we're trying to time this with the sale of the house. Definitely interested in seeing pictures of yours when you pick it up. Especially the things you have had them modify. the fan the interior couches extra ac and the gooseneck Hitch, are all things that I am interested in.

Shawn
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #290

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXBACK View Post
Chad

This last weekend I called Phil and left a message on his voicemail. I have not gotten a return call from him yet. I will try to call him again this Saturday. If everything is going well with him and I don't get any other red flags we will probably buy from his dealership. We have family that are local in that area. So when we come up from San Antonio to pick up our RV we will be able to see them and use them as a base for any repairs that they have to redo from our pre-inspection. We will probably be ordering one brand-new. And with all the things that you talked about that you had them do to yours there are lots of things that I would like the same. Next week I will go to Indonesia for about a month and a half and will not be able to work on RV stuff. But I would like to talk to Phil prior to leaving so at least I am on his radar. Like I said before we've got a very(about a week) tight time schedule for actual RV pick up. So I would like to talk to him and get ours ordered at some point, based on his recommendation on how long it's going take to receive it. Also we're trying to time this with the sale of the house. Definitely interested in seeing pictures of yours when you pick it up. Especially the things you have had them modify. the fan the interior couches extra ac and the gooseneck Hitch, are all things that I am interested in.

Shawn

Shawn,
I just called Phil and he is looking forward to talking with you. He told me to give you his cell number so check your inbox, I just sent a p.m. with it to ya. He knows everything I've done and I told him you were interested in doing yours similar to mine, he said no problem. Working on a time frame should be no problem at all for these guys as long as they can get the coach from Bay Hill in time (if you are ordering one). Let me know if I can help with anything else. And I'll definitely be posting pics of mine when I pick it up........Im excited!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #291

Tiffin Owners Club
Chad, you mentioned hard water affecting the tankless hwh. Well we were just 10 months into our new unit when the heater would not come on. I called Girard who were very helpful and anxious to get the problem resolved. I worked with them over the phone using an ohm meter and got to the problem. There is an internal switch just where the water enters the heater. It clicks on when there is a flow of water which turns on the gas flow and ignition. It is a solenoid switch. Apparently due to minerals in our water, the switch got clogged. The tech asked me to hit the switch with a screwdriver a couple of times to see if I can free it. It didn't work, so they sent me a new switch. It turns out it's not an easy job to replace. You have to go into the storage area and get behind the heater. From there you disconnect the water supply and then can spin the switch out. Well, after I received the switch I decided to give the old switch a few more whacks before going through the trouble of replacing it. I wasn't so gentle this time because I had the new switch in hand, so I slammed it. Sure enough it freed up and the heater began working again. I added a filter to the water system and it has been working for the last 2 months. If it should clog again I have the new switch in hand for replacement.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #292

Evergreen Owners Club
Thats great info Bob. Many people know but do not think about the affects of hard water on their system. The tankless, although it is a wonderful thing to have, does require the user to pay close attention to it because of deposits. Out of curiosity, what filter did you get for it? Where did you mount it? I would love to see where you installed it so I can copy you, lol. I didn't get a filter on mine because I wasn't sure which one to get yet. I know the Alpha Gold has the filter mounted in the convenience center box, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to retro in. The water where I work (which is where the coach will be much of the time) is the HARDEST water I've ever seen. I go through anode rods in about 1 1/2 - 2 months. I was very concerned about the affects that water would have on the tankless. I am very happy to hear from someone first hand what's involved if deposits build up in it. Keep us informed if the water heater continues to stay in good shape because those of us that dont have a filter would do good to follow your lead and get one.

Chad
Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #293

Hello. My husband and I took possession of a 2014 285RL in July. From the moment we drove it back to the RV lot, it was nothing but a nightmare.

The dishwasher leaked water everywhere, the tankless water heater never got warm despite trying all the fixes we read on this forum, the propane tanks sprung a leak (and thank goodness I smelled it before my husband lit up a cigar outside by the tanks), the decals were peeling off after one day, the freezer gets three inches of frost in it within a couple weeks, the TV in the bedroom was not wired properly so it did not work and I could go on. After complaining to the dealer (Gardner RV in Kalispell, MT) and not really getting very far, the final straw was while sitting outside one day, we heard a loud "boom" and the tankless water heater BLEW UP! It blew out the pex tubing and flooded the belly of our three week old RV.

We immediately took the RV back to dealer and I will say this, they bent over backward to fix everything, including installing a ten gallon TANKED water heater upon our request (which now works like a charm). They installed a new dishwasher, reworked the propane lines (they told us that they just discovered this is an issue with the units), rewired the TV in the bedroom, etc. We had to stay in a hotel since we were living in the RV for the summer and they reimbursed us for the cost of the hotel.

My husband is not happy as he feels the underbelly of the unit is not as enclosed as it should be, compared to our Cardinal 5th wheel which was very secure. While we store it for the winter, he is worried about mice so he has been busy trying to enclose all open sections. He kicks himself for not crawling way under the RV before purchasing.

All in all, I would probably not buy another Evergreen product but now that Gardner took care of us, we are happy with the amenities and the layout of this unit. Fingers crossed our troubles are over!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #294

Evergreen Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, and Im sorry youve had such a rough time. Thats horrible when so much happens so quickly I must say. Hopefully your dealer has got everything resolved so that the nightmare is over and you can begin to enjoy your new purchase. I am curious to where your propane was leaking, so I can look for that during my PDI. The dishwasher and reefer issues seem like their respective manufacturers need to do some improving as well. The issues with tankless water heaters and tv wiring are well documented here, but I am surprised none of the fixes listed would resolve it, but just my opinion, I like the tanked heater better anyway because I can run it on electric and save propane. Have you called Evergreen and told them about all this? Maybe they should know since several of these issues are from sloppy work it sounds (like the PEX line blowing out and the decals). Well good luck with it going forward, maybe it'll be happy rv'ing from here out!

Chad

Tags
evergreen