Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowboy View Post
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, and Im sorry youve had such a rough time. Thats horrible when so much happens so quickly I must say. Hopefully your dealer has got everything resolved so that the nightmare is over and you can begin to enjoy your new purchase. I am curious to where your propane was leaking, so I can look for that during my PDI. The dishwasher and reefer issues seem like their respective manufacturers need to do some improving as well. The issues with tankless water heaters and tv wiring are well documented here, but I am surprised none of the fixes listed would resolve it, but just my opinion, I like the tanked heater better anyway because I can run it on electric and save propane. Have you called Evergreen and told them about all this? Maybe they should know since several of these issues are from sloppy work it sounds (like the PEX line blowing out and the decals). Well good luck with it going forward, maybe it'll be happy rv'ing from here out!

Chad
Thanks, Chad! I will ask my husband for more specifics when he returns. It was pretty scary to discover the leak. We opened the door to the propane tanks and the flies came swarming out (drawn to the stench no doubt)....kind of like a horror movie, lol.

I do intend to contact Evergreen once we get back home to Phoenix this fall. We are on vacation and honestly, I don't feel like dealing with it now. I do know that Gardner RV called and spoke to someone named "Diamon" (sp) and relayed all the issued we had. They agreed to all the fixes, at their expensive of course. I feel their quality control is not very good. I mean, wouldn't you think they would check the tankless heater, TV and dishwasher before it went off the line?

When we insisted they install a tanked water heater, we requested that it either run on propane or electric. We do not dry camp and prefer to use electric but it's nice to have the option. Thank goodness there is enough room to install a tanked heater. The dealer in MT told Evergreen they would not carry their product any longer due to the issues. Ours was not the first to explode and flood the belly of the unit. :-(

Oh well, as I said, it was not a very fun experience but I'm hoping it's all over now. We had our Cardinal fifth wheel for fifteen years and never had one issue. Time will tell!

Cyndy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #296

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks Cindy, Yes im looking forward to hearing about that leak. I actually called and spoke to Dymon last last week and had a very long talk with him, really great guy. He had explained they had dealt with some issues but were trying hard to fix everything they found. They have their hands full with all the new lines, employees, and from what I hear a new facility as well. Still no excuse, but it does affect things. I'm not actually sure what they check at the factory to be completely honest with you, but I know the dealer should have and should have caught some of that stuff as well. I honestly think most of the appliances don't get checked because Evergreen doesn't actually make them, they just install them into their coach (kinda why alot of times the dishwasher still has the paperwork inside it......its never been run) but I do see and understand why you would be frustrated, I woulda been also. I had a tanked water heater on mine to begin with because of the bugs that still need to be worked out with the tankless ones, I just had it upgraded from a 10 gal to a 12 gal for more capacity. I do believe every trailer out there that's assembled on an assembly line will have its problems. If your Cardinal had none, consider yourself lucky. There are bunches of every brand that have issues, and all owners say the same thing.....why is the QC so crappy at the factory? But then there are folks like you that look and say "we've had ours for years and no problems here" Its just a crap shoot these days as to whether you get a problem child or a straight A student with your RV but I believe most are fixed easily (of course there are exceptons) and the owners enjoy it from there on out, its just getting through the bugs. I love the Bay Hill line and hate to hear anyone having issues with their coach, any brand that is because we all love our RV when we pick it out, but as I said, hopefully its all behind you and now you have the coach you THOUGHT you were buying, lol. Take care and keep us posted!

Chad

Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowboy View Post
Thanks Cindy, Yes im looking forward to hearing about that leak. I actually called and spoke to Dymon last last week and had a very long talk with him, really great guy. He had explained they had dealt with some issues but were trying hard to fix everything they found. They have their hands full with all the new lines, employees, and from what I hear a new facility as well. Still no excuse, but it does affect things. I'm not actually sure what they check at the factory to be completely honest with you, but I know the dealer should have and should have caught some of that stuff as well. I honestly think most of the appliances don't get checked because Evergreen doesn't actually make them, they just install them into their coach (kinda why alot of times the dishwasher still has the paperwork inside it......its never been run) but I do see and understand why you would be frustrated, I woulda been also. I had a tanked water heater on mine to begin with because of the bugs that still need to be worked out with the tankless ones, I just had it upgraded from a 10 gal to a 12 gal for more capacity. I do believe every trailer out there that's assembled on an assembly line will have its problems. If your Cardinal had none, consider yourself lucky. There are bunches of every brand that have issues, and all owners say the same thing.....why is the QC so crappy at the factory? But then there are folks like you that look and say "we've had ours for years and no problems here" Its just a crap shoot these days as to whether you get a problem child or a straight A student with your RV but I believe most are fixed easily (of course there are exceptons) and the owners enjoy it from there on out, its just getting through the bugs. I love the Bay Hill line and hate to hear anyone having issues with their coach, any brand that is because we all love our RV when we pick it out, but as I said, hopefully its all behind you and now you have the coach you THOUGHT you were buying, lol. Take care and keep us posted!

Chad
All good points, Chad!

My husband just got home and he said the issue with the propane was it was plumbed wrong at the factory and when it blew, it blew out a regulator. Apparently, Evergreen sent out a message addressing this issue to dealers. I hope that helps.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #298

Evergreen Owners Club
Blown Propane line

Hi Cyndy...

Chad made some very good points in his replies to you.

The propane issue is a serious one, of course. On my 2013 Bay Hill 320RS the line from the single tank on the door side of the to the dual tanks was, indeed, misplumbed. The line was inverted with another propane line that went into the regulator, creating a condition known as "propane blowback." Fortunately the leaking gas set off the alarm inside the trailer prior to our leaving for a trip. As you pointed out, this should have been a quality control item before it ever left the Evergreen factory.

Of the two Evergreen dealerships I have dealt with regarding the numerous problems with my RV, one has completely stopped carrying the Evergreen products and the other is just waiting for its current inventory to sell out (if it ever does). My original warranty has expired and a third RV service facility has literally retooled the trailer from the ground up (three water tanks, tankless water heater, non-functioning slide-outs, miswiring with the television system, propane issues, etc.). In your situation, find a reliable service facility to deal with your initial issues, and you'll probably find the Bay Hill to be a comfortable, attractive RV.

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #299

Damon Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
Blown Propane Line

Ken,
I too have a problem with the propane system. I asked a question over on RV.net, but haven't gotten a good answer. My 2014 340RK propane is plumbed with the door side bottle going through a red high pressure regulator, then to a tee with one of the street side bottles into the switchover regulator. The red high pressure regulator leaks badly around the perimeter when you turn on the street side bottle. My question is, why is it plumbed that way, and is the red high pressure regulator necessary. I'd be interested in what Bay Hill told you on the propane plumbing. I have not contacted them yet about the problem.

Paul
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #300

Evergreen Owners Club
Propane regulator

Paul...

I did not contact Evergreen (Bay Hill) on this propane matter. I had taken it to my current service provider, Toscano RV in Los Banos, California. At first they thought I had a defective red propane regulator on the single bottle side and simply replaced the regulator with a new unit. When I eventually turned the propane bottle on, that's when my wife and I began to detect leaking propane. I turned the bottle off. Enough propane had built up, however, to set off the alarm inside the trailer. That woke up several people in the neighborhood around midnight!

Early the next morning, I returned the Bay Hill to the service provider on the way to our planned destination. Their propane expert inspected the lines in our Bay Hill and compared them with exactly the same propane setup in a Columbus 5th wheel. At this point, a couple more technicians joined the inspection and an expert collaboration ensued.

I think the technicians thought that Evergreen would have been able to install the propane lines correctly at the factory. Apparently NOT!! The line from the single red regulator to the dual tank setup was inverted, simply not going into the correct connection. Propane was blowing back under pressure to the single red regulator. I think the regulator has a safety venting system and that was allowing propane to escape and subsequently fumes built up. To make a long story short, all propane lines were bled out, the hoses were positioned correctly, and another new single regulator was installed just to be safe. The tanks were turned on and after a wait of about 10 minutes, all fittings were tested for propane leakage. NO LEAKAGE!

We have made two trips to the San Francisco Bay Area for baseball games and a longer trip to Arizona, and the propane system has performed flawlessly.

Ken
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #301

Evergreen Owners Club
Ken,
Did they ever get your coach completely fixed? I know you've had almost the worst case I have read about and I hate thats its been that bad for ya. Hopefully everything is good now. Keepin my fingers crossed for ya! lol.

Chad
Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #302

Damon Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
Ken,
Thanks for your response. Just so I understand, how was the line rerouted by the technicians to make it work correctly. I am suspecting that the two street side bottles should be going into the tee on one side of the auto changeover regulator, and the single curb side bottle should go into the other side of the auto changeover regulator by itself. That should solve the propane backpressure problem at the red regulator. Correct??
Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #303

Evergreen Owners Club
Propane Issues

Paul...Yes! I believe you are correct. The line from the single bottle should go into the other side of the auto changeover regulator as you surmised. In my case, the line was inverted and directed to the wrong part of the changeover system. In reality, the fix was quite simple, but it was a situation that a propane system installer at the factory should have noticed. I believe there are a few posts in this forum that refer to the same problem, the most recent being what Cyndy referred to with her Bay Hill.

Chad...yep! So far all problems seem to have been solved. My wife and I have been to Arizona and back with no glitches. Currently we're RVing it in Pacifica, California for some Giants baseball games. Everything is working fine. My wife has lingering doubts because of past incidents, but (fingers crossed) all is well. You should be picking up your new Bay Hill pretty soon, right?

Ken
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #304

Evergreen Owners Club
propane plumbing diagram from Evergreen

Attachments area
Preview attachment 890-09-0001.pdf

Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #305

Damon Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
For some reason, I can't open your attachment. I'd love to see that diagram. Do you have a url for it?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #306

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInCA View Post
Paul...Yes! I believe you are correct. The line from the single bottle should go into the other side of the auto changeover regulator as you surmised. In my case, the line was inverted and directed to the wrong part of the changeover system. In reality, the fix was quite simple, but it was a situation that a propane system installer at the factory should have noticed. I believe there are a few posts in this forum that refer to the same problem, the most recent being what Cyndy referred to with her Bay Hill.

Chad...yep! So far all problems seem to have been solved. My wife and I have been to Arizona and back with no glitches. Currently we're RVing it in Pacifica, California for some Giants baseball games. Everything is working fine. My wife has lingering doubts because of past incidents, but (fingers crossed) all is well. You should be picking up your new Bay Hill pretty soon, right?

Ken

Yup, the coach is ready but this job i'm on seems never ending! As soon as the well I'm working on wraps up, I'll be picking it up. I'm very happy to hear your issues are all fixed. As much as they crawled through your coach, they had to have fixed everything!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #307

Damon Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
Chad, good luck with your new one! I know you will love it.

Paul
Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #308

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks Paul,
I think I will love it also. I have learned so much from reading on this forum and paying attention to people like Ken that have gone through hell, toughed it out and got it fixed I feel a bunch more prepared to take delivery and know what to look for. It just sucks that good people like the ones on this thread have to have those issues for everyone to learn, but because of them, I have had my dealer check all kinds of things 2 and 3 times to hopefully catch things BEFORE my PDI. Take care!

Chad

Tags
evergreen