Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #393

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I began taking pictures and saw the problem in front of my eyes.
When the couch is flipped out, the front part that lifts up and over and becomes the foot of the bed is perfectly level. I put a level on the frame and the air mattress and at those points, about halfway to the head of the bead, everything is level. However from the point where the frame ends and there is a canyon with diagonal straps going from the middle to each head side and then a black canvas cover over everything. There is a canyon in the middle to the head where you can reach down and put your hand in the drawer that pulls out when the bed is put away. I found the straps to be like those nylon straps used on beach chairs. They are not pulled taught and would probably tear if pulled tight. The idea is that the straps will fold into the canyon when the bed is folded back to its original couch position. That portion of the strapped canyon is lower than the front half of the pull out and when someone lies on the bed, their body weight pulls the head portion down even more and becomes very uncomfortable.
The only remedy I think will work is to put some kind of padding across the straps to raise the head portion when used as a bed and roll it up or fold it away in the drawer below the couch when the bed is not in use. OR, just have my guests sleep opposite with their heads out towards the kitchen.
In any case, your request for pictures really shed light on the problem and I thank you for that. I'm going to look for a piece of 1" foam to place under the head of the bed and see if that works.
Thanks,
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #394

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracers31 View Post
Not trying to be funny here. Try sleeping with your feet where your head would go.
Or fold a blanket and place under the air bed at the head or under the fitted sheet. Enough to raise your head to level. Good luck

Chris and Judy
Well, I just read your remedy and I like the blanket idea. I also considered reversing the bed, or the person sleeping on it, but they will surely complain that they can't watch TV.....so here goes the blanket fix....we certainly have enough of them.
Thanks
Bob

Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #395

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, I tried the blanket....it didn't work. The valley in the middle is to big and the blanket just falls into it. I started thinking about maybe pillows, but I thought that a bed pillow on each end might be too big....and then it hit me. The couch pillows are the perfect size. I put one on each side of the head of the bed. They were supported by the straps. When I placed the air bed on top it was perfectly level. When my wife lied down on the air bed it didn't lose level. Problem solved. I may wait another year before we need this bed again considering all the sleeping arrangements with the bunk house, but I'm ready for it.
Thanks again for all your ideas and help....it really did help.

Bob
Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #396

Evergreen Owners Club
Bonabob......Glad we could be of assistance. lol
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #397

AC/USB Outlet

Electrical Problem
While on the road last month we had the GFI AC outlet with the USB outlet above the breaker box shorted out and we had sparks and smoke. I reset the GFI and checked the AC at the pole. The AC breaker on the shore could not be reset. I contacted Evergreen and was told this was not an uncommon problem. When we got to Vegas they paid for an electrician to come out check the AC system and replace the plug. At our request we did NOT want a USB outlet installed. We did not have a need for it.
mmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #398

Evergreen Owners Club
It is been a while since I've posted. I've gotten back from my trip from Indonesia a couple of months ago and finished fixing up the house that we are selling here in Hawaii. It's already on the market and we got very attractive offer. Last week we put a deposit in for our new Bayhill like I talked about before we are getting a 395BH. We were going to order a new 2015 but we found two new 2014 still sitting on RV lands lot and was able to get a decent deal. So we Took the big leap last week and put down a deposit I've had my parents go out and take as many pictures as they can. We will be putting our down payment in purchasing it at the end of December unfortunately unseen, except for parents and other family. We won't be picking up are new home until February 17, 2015. Because we are buying it unseen we are planning or thinking about sending out an RV inspector. Has anybody used in RV inspector while purchasing their RV? Also we were offered the extended warranty plan we initially declined it but then I decided to ask you guys what you thought about the extended plans for RVs offered by dealers? Also at the end of the month will be buying our brand-new F350 DRW. It's a very exciting time for me and my family, and a bit scary. I'm pretty sure we have a normal worries and fears of first-timers buying an RV. Stuff like will we be able to downsize enough to be able to fit in it and live comfortably. I have to work next week but the week after I am on vacation and will start putting together a list of all of the stuff on the site that other people had problems with for when I do my pick up inspection. Does anybody have a List or document that they used for their pick up inspection? My dealer is telling me that it's only going to take a couple of hours to go through the RV with the inspection and check it over. Is that just about right? I was under the impression that it would take a little bit longer than that. I hope everybody is doing great and can't wait to officially join this club.

Shawn
Old 12-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #399

In sure you can find a PDI list on here to use for your inspection. It should take longer than a few hours, go through the list and it will take as long as it takes. In sure you will have a list of crap to fix...
Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #400

Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXBACK View Post
It is been a while since I've posted. I've gotten back from my trip from Indonesia a couple of months ago and finished fixing up the house that we are selling here in Hawaii. It's already on the market and we got very attractive offer. Last week we put a deposit in for our new Bayhill like I talked about before we are getting a 395BH. We were going to order a new 2015 but we found two new 2014 still sitting on RV lands lot and was able to get a decent deal. So we Took the big leap last week and put down a deposit I've had my parents go out and take as many pictures as they can. We will be putting our down payment in purchasing it at the end of December unfortunately unseen, except for parents and other family. We won't be picking up are new home until February 17, 2015. Because we are buying it unseen we are planning or thinking about sending out an RV inspector. Has anybody used in RV inspector while purchasing their RV? Also we were offered the extended warranty plan we initially declined it but then I decided to ask you guys what you thought about the extended plans for RVs offered by dealers? Also at the end of the month will be buying our brand-new F350 DRW. It's a very exciting time for me and my family, and a bit scary. I'm pretty sure we have a normal worries and fears of first-timers buying an RV. Stuff like will we be able to downsize enough to be able to fit in it and live comfortably. I have to work next week but the week after I am on vacation and will start putting together a list of all of the stuff on the site that other people had problems with for when I do my pick up inspection. Does anybody have a List or document that they used for their pick up inspection? My dealer is telling me that it's only going to take a couple of hours to go through the RV with the inspection and check it over. Is that just about right? I was under the impression that it would take a little bit longer than that. I hope everybody is doing great and can't wait to officially join this club.

Shawn
I would definitely recommend the extended warranty, try to find different plans and pricing for them as well. It costs $135 per hour at my dealership and they aren't experienced to do the proper troubleshooting costing more time to find the problem before fixing it. I recommend an extended warranty for the Ford as well, I experienced the Death Rattle on my 2010 f350 with only 31000 miles on it last week, I don't have an extended warranty on my RV and truck as I now regret not purchasing. Good luck! Do a google on the death rattle, scary!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #401

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcinfl View Post
I would definitely recommend the extended warranty, try to find different plans and pricing for them as well. It costs $135 per hour at my dealership and they aren't experienced to do the proper troubleshooting costing more time to find the problem before fixing it. I recommend an extended warranty for the Ford as well, I experienced the Death Rattle on my 2010 f350 with only 31000 miles on it last week, I don't have an extended warranty on my RV and truck as I now regret not purchasing. Good luck! Do a google on the death rattle, scary!

My family and I actually have a lot of experience with the "death rattle". Except on a jeep it's called the "jeep death wobble". I had that problem on a 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee with a 3 1/2 inch lift and slightly bigger tires. It took me quite a while to figure it out but I eventually bought a kit from "Kevins off-road" specifically for my jeep. I am unsure if they have the same kit available for other vehicles. But Kevins off-road.com has a webpage dedicated to this death wobble. The kit I had came with an additional, steering stabilizer, heavier duty arm and specially made stiffer bushings. After installing the kit my death wobble was gone. Check out their website maybe it can help. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #402

Checking with Bay Hill

My dealer got me in contact with someone knowledgeable at Bay Hill. They confirmed:
1. That some propane hookups are incorrect and the solution is as outlined by some of our members earlier. Apparently, Bay Hill gets the entire assembly from their supplier in a pre-assembled state, so the problem can be traced and (hopefully) corrected by the supplier in the future.
I braved the cold and snow to check on my fittings, and sure enough, they were incorrectly installed. I'll fix in the spring.
2. The real issue with the fresh water tanks in older models was that the supplier of the tanks changed the formula in the makeup of the tanks, which made them flimsy. Now there are no more "flimsy" tanks.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #403

Evergreen Owners Club
I would just like to thank everybody on the forum that responded to me personally! Sometime before the end of December I will actually put the down payment on the trailer, unseen of course :(.And in the next three days I will be buying our tow vehicle, also unseen. It is a very exciting and scary time! We are doing as much research as possible to reduce the risk that we are taking with both of these. My wife will get a chance to see the RV before I do at the end of January and then we will do our inspection sometime middle of February. We don't plan on driving off with RV for a couple days after the inspection. Thank you all for your support. And happy holidays! Shawn
Old 12-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #404

I have a question about the propane tank hook up to the change-over regulator. This issue was discussed earlier but I'm not clear how its supposed to be. I've been smelling propane outside the trailer, after some checking I found a leak on the red regulators the door-side tank. On my trailer (Bay Hill 295RL) the door side tank and one street side tank are teed into change over and the other street side tank goes into a single fitting on the change over. On a post by PMSKS states that the two street side tanks go to the "T" while the door side tank goes on the the other side of the change over regulator. If anyone has a schematic of this can you contact me or publish the schematic . Thanks and a
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #405

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinecat View Post
I have a question about the propane tank hook up to the change-over regulator. This issue was discussed earlier but I'm not clear how its supposed to be. I've been smelling propane outside the trailer, after some checking I found a leak on the red regulators the door-side tank. On my trailer (Bay Hill 295RL) the door side tank and one street side tank are teed into change over and the other street side tank goes into a single fitting on the change over. On a post by PMSKS states that the two street side tanks go to the "T" while the door side tank goes on the the other side of the change over regulator. If anyone has a schematic of this can you contact me or publish the schematic . Thanks and a
HAPPY NEW YEAR
I have the propane schematic somewhere and will try to find it and post it. In the meantime, seems the factory uses a pre assembled propane assembly that was plumbed wrong. A lot of units (mine included) have these assemblies and makes the regulator leak. Had mine replaced twice before I read about the problem and fixed it myself. You might just check to see if the hoses are routed correctly. The hose from the single tank regulator needs to go into the main regulator inlet that is facing to the front of the storage bay. The hoses from the dual tanks need to go into the tee at the inlet facing the rear. I had to relocate the single tank regulator a couple of inches to get the hose to reach the forward inlet on the change over regulator.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #406

Did you ever locate a punch list for your unit? I have a list of items we presented to the salesman for repair after our second trip.

mmasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen