Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #463

I know one thing for sure if we do decide on a Bay Hill it won't have the ankless water heater. The wife and I do just fine with our current 6gal WH. Having a 10gal non tankless would be even better. Still looking into what type of wood is used on the roof and floors.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #464

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I know one thing for sure if we do decide on a Bay Hill it won't have the ankless water heater. The wife and I do just fine with our current 6gal WH. Having a 10gal non tankless would be even better. Still looking into what type of wood is used on the roof and floors.
Also consider a house refrigerator. The Norcold brand seems to be all caught up with recalls etc. If something goes wrong it can get very expensive and it doesn't always cool as well as a house refrigerator. Also consider the self defrosting feature of the house refrigerator. Some of the Bay Hill's are coming with them.
Every coach owner I know that had a major problem with their Norcold eventually replaced it with a house refrigerator but at a very costly expense.

As far as the hot water heater, the non tankless will come both lp and electric. That can save you a few bucks when on the campsite electric.

Hind sight is always 20/20

Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #465

Bayhillowners.net

Just a reminder, there is a dedicated Bay Hill Owners forum at www.bayhillowners.net

The new Warranty Manager at Evergreen has joined the forum and is available to answer questions.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #466

Sounds like a lot of folks have had better luck then we had with our Bayhill. Bought a 320 2014 last year, had lots of issues with the tankless hot water heater, also had many body problems, Seam under bedroom to main body opened up , an inch gap, there were only a few screws holding it in place... It had been heavily caulked to hold it, these were just a few of the 30 items that had to be done for warranty work, we traded it off and have been happy with our Landmark ! Best thing we ever did! We found the quality of that Bayhill construction to be very poor.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbhldsmith View Post
Sounds like a lot of folks have had better luck then we had with our Bayhill. Bought a 320 2014 last year, had lots of issues with the tankless hot water heater, also had many body problems, Seam under bedroom to main body opened up , an inch gap, there were only a few screws holding it in place... It had been heavily caulked to hold it, these were just a few of the 30 items that had to be done for warranty work, we traded it off and have been happy with our Landmark ! Best thing we ever did! We found the quality of that Bayhill construction to be very poor.
Looks like any brand can have it's fair share of quality issues...here's a review I found on a Landmark:

I purchased a 2011 Landmark San Antonio 41' 5th wheel end of Jan, 2011 & had to wait about 8 days while it was being "prepped" (as quoted per sales person, making sure everything works) Upon returning to the rv park, I discovered the icemaker did not work and later discovered water had leaked into the drawer below. The keyless entry was never explained and did not work. I found the monitor for the rear camera in a cabinet while putting things away from the move, that hadn't even been mentioned during our "walk through". The led lights kept, what I though was burning out,were not wired securely, stil having those types of issues. The awning ribbon broke after about a weeks use, the rubber covering on the handle by the entrance door has split, during a recent rain storm, water leaked around window frame on one slide. When I recently moved the sofa, I found a gas monitor,that had never been mentioned. Gettingf ahead of myself,found the recliners would not stay reclined unless you put your feet in the seat to hold them back. The handle on kitchen faucet came loose and finally dropped off, closet door came off track just opening it, the refrigerator continues to be a problem in that it takes about 3 days for the temperature to cool down enough to preserve food. I know Iam skipping over someother small details but the "straw that broke the camels back", was after filling my fresh water tank for a trip, discovered after I arrived that the water was now in the belly of my camper hanging down like a big baloon. I drained what water was left from the tank and on my return trip, I took a rather steep exit to rest area and when I stepped out of the truck found a waterfall flowing from the underbelly of my less than 6 month old rig! Now some of the smaller issues have been taken care of by an authorized Heartland Service center, and have an appointment to return for more work to be done.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #468

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a thought

I know all of us get very frustrated when things go wrong. I'm as guilty as the next guy. We also tend to put a lot of blame around and some of us wish we had purchased something else because the grass is always greener on the other side of the street. The truth is no matter what you purchase you are going to have some problems. Especially units that are put together with so many features, surely the ball will be dropped somewhere. That's just the odds. My point is that we should be using this forum to help each other fix problems and not assign blame.
I had a problem with my Norcold 4 door fridge. I came to the forum and did a lot of searching and sure enough found the fix. I'm not happy with the fact that the problem arose and not happy with Norcold, but will not blame Bay Hill or anyone else. However I do recommend that if given the option, take a house refrigerator. I'm not very happy with the tankless water heater. That's not Bay Hill's fault, but after my experience with it, if given the option I will take a 10 gallon conventional water heater. However, there are very good reasons why we purchased the Bay Hill brand and I think overall most people are happy they did. Please don't let this forum be the whipping post for dissatisfied owners. Let it be the haven for all owners to get ideas, recommendations and good advice.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbhldsmith View Post

Sorry if I spoke too much.... Was my first camper, retirement dream, and had been very frustrated! I do realize there are possible lemons in every brand....that the vast majority are good, sometimes just the luck of the draw
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #470

Evergreen Owners Club
Bay Hill thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabob View Post
I know all of us get very frustrated when things go wrong. I'm as guilty as the next guy. We also tend to put a lot of blame around and some of us wish we had purchased something else because the grass is always greener on the other side of the street. The truth is no matter what you purchase you are going to have some problems. Especially units that are put together with so many features, surely the ball will be dropped somewhere. That's just the odds. My point is that we should be using this forum to help each other fix problems and not assign blame.
I had a problem with my Norcold 4 door fridge. I came to the forum and did a lot of searching and sure enough found the fix. I'm not happy with the fact that the problem arose and not happy with Norcold, but will not blame Bay Hill or anyone else. However I do recommend that if given the option, take a house refrigerator. I'm not very happy with the tankless water heater. That's not Bay Hill's fault, but after my experience with it, if given the option I will take a 10 gallon conventional water heater. However, there are very good reasons why we purchased the Bay Hill brand and I think overall most people are happy they did. Please don't let this forum be the whipping post for dissatisfied owners. Let it be the haven for all owners to get ideas, recommendations and good advice.

+1 for Bonabob.
All forums seem to attract a lot of folks that are upset about something.
It must make some folks feel empowered. Maybe the only thing left for a frustrated consumer.
This seems to be a problem with many other forum subjects. Certainly not exclusive to IRV2.
All should be taken with a grain of salt.

Chris & Judy
2014 295RL
Old 03-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #471

So far - knock on wood I have had 3 rigs. No real huge issues so far. Small issue that I fixed easily. Most deal with screws, fittings and other issues that maybe just towing vibration can work items loose. A shower that did not leak then after 1,000 mile trip leaked. A tube of shower sealant fixed the leak.

Table leaf was not level with the table. I had to remount the under table bracket.

I would say the good workers at the RV manufacturers are working in the framework given. They do the best they can. Bad workers...well that is it's own nightmare for us. Bad workers having a bad day is even worse.

I took a visit to the AirStream factory in Jackson Center Ohio. I was not impressed as there was very little automation. So you have humans building RV's and humans...well, are only human. One of 1400 rivits not done correctly will cause a leak.

I know - kinda off topic. But picture this. The tankless hot water heater topic in the Evergreen meeting room. One person says it will not work as the RV goes uphill and downhill and is not always level. Another person in the meeting says it will work. That the RV is level at the site. Now the owners are finding out the nuances of owning an RV with a tank less hot water heater.
The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Good luck to all us RV owners.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #472

Our three panel sliding shower door was put in backwards. When the shower is on the water goes in between the the the middle piece of glass. Anyone else have this problem?

On the go
Old 03-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #473

Tankless waterheater

Spent the winter in Arizona in a RV park where the Bay Hill 295 RL was very comfortable, everything worked well except ( guess what) the Attwood tankless heater. Somedays it was wonderful while other times it was better than a cold shower. Its really inconsistent and unpredictable although very dependent on the water pressure of 35 psi or greater. Also if the water temp is too low or air temp is low as in the Northwest it will struggle to get hot, it will raise the water temp. only 55 degrees above its faucet temp. I have struggled with this since we bought it 14 months ago.
I have reached the point of getting rid of it and buying a 10 gal tank heater. Is there anybody out there that has made this change. If so so what size and type did you get? I'm planning an Alaskan trip in 2016 and I can't imagine making that trip with the tankless system. It wastes a lot of water just trying to get hot.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #474

Has anyone added T style or some other type of door catch to your side cargo doors? I'm really getting tired of them banging into the sides of our 340RK.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinecat View Post
Spent the winter in Arizona in a RV park where the Bay Hill 295 RL was very comfortable, everything worked well except ( guess what) the Attwood tankless heater. Somedays it was wonderful while other times it was better than a cold shower. Its really inconsistent and unpredictable although very dependent on the water pressure of 35 psi or greater. Also if the water temp is too low or air temp is low as in the Northwest it will struggle to get hot, it will raise the water temp. only 55 degrees above its faucet temp. I have struggled with this since we bought it 14 months ago.
I have reached the point of getting rid of it and buying a 10 gal tank heater. Is there anybody out there that has made this change. If so so what size and type did you get? I'm planning an Alaskan trip in 2016 and I can't imagine making that trip with the tankless system. It wastes a lot of water just trying to get hot.
I heard that the fix was replacing the two handle faucet with a single handle faucet. It makes sense as we have no issue with hot water in the kitchen sink. The replacement faucet is only $30... so we are going to try it.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #476

Carbucks, I have the same problem with the kitchen faucet. I just can't rely on it, the wife heats water in a pan to do the dishes because she says its faster and wastes a lots less water. Its frustrating that what I thought was a great feature turned into an expensive problem. With the water shortages in the West I can't recommend the tankless system even if it worked as advertised. It takes far less water to get hot water at the faucet with a tank system. I would save some money and not change the faucets. This is just my opinion based on having had 3 other 5th wheel trailers.

Tags
evergreen