Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 AM   #477

Evergreen Owners Club
Tankless water heater

We were in Arizona during the summer and winter, We have the Girard tankless and love it. Once the it was adjusted properly that is. Took out the water saver in the shower head, set the LP to 11 lbs and water pressure at 45.
No problem since this was done over a year ago and we are fulltime in the coach.
I think Girard is a better system than Attwood.
Another trick is you only turn on the hot water, if you turn cold as well it just messes with the water heater, it wants to heat then cool down and you can end up with hot, cold water fluctuations.
Hope this helps.
RichnAna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 AM   #478

Evergreen Owners Club
Girard

Hey Rich...

I think you may have mentioned in a previous post about setting the propane pressure to 11 lbs, so I had our RV service facility make sure ours was set correctly the last time I took the trailer in for servicing. We really have had few problems with our Girard tankless system except when the water pressure on our last trip dropped to 20 psi in Desert Hot Springs. I switched over to the trailer's water pump and that got the Girard fired up correctly again. Also, I'm going to try your suggestion of removing the water flow restrictor so we don't have to run around in the shower to get wet.

If you stayed in Arizona during the summer months, it must have been in a cooler part of the state. I tried staying last June in Fort McDowell (northeast of Scottsdale) and our single air conditioner couldn't cool the RV down enough to stay comfortable once the outside temperature got over 95. There's something to be said for having dual air conditioners!

Tomorrow's grand experiment will be to see if the satellite connector on the Bay Hill's exterior port has been rewired correctly. When we first got the trailer, the cable and satellite ports were reversed and, of course, not labeled. I bought a Dish Tailgater and am anxious to give it a try since some of the parks we've stayed in have had limited cable reception.

Happy RVing...

Ken & Lucy
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #479

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnAna View Post
We were in Arizona during the summer and winter, We have the Girard tankless and love it. Once the it was adjusted properly that is. Took out the water saver in the shower head, set the LP to 11 lbs and water pressure at 45.
No problem since this was done over a year ago and we are fulltime in the coach.
I think Girard is a better system than Attwood.
Another trick is you only turn on the hot water, if you turn cold as well it just messes with the water heater, it wants to heat then cool down and you can end up with hot, cold water fluctuations.
Hope this helps.
Judy also discovered your trick of only using the hot side and not add any cold. The way we control the temp is to control the flow. She found that when the water was to hot she just added to the hot flow. Adding to the flow through the water heater cools the water down some. If still to hot she adjusted the heater control knob by the sink. Once balanced she showered away. This usually happens just once during our stay. Although we like real hot water when doing dishes, this sometimes means another adjustment of the heater control knob.
I removed the water saver. Never checked the LP pressure but assume it is correct.
If you are having park supplied water pressure problems during your stay I think that would be a problem. Since water flow is the way Judy found to control temp.
We do like it and have found ways to manage it. But when it needs to be replaced not sure if we will go back to a tankless unit. We will cross that bridge when it happens.

Chris & Judy
295 RL
gracers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #480

Evergreen Owners Club
Hey Ken
We were in Mesa just east of Scottsdale, leased a spot at a park for a year for what works out to be about $150. Per month. We have two A/C's and they kept us pretty cool, another help was to put the silver corrugated insulation in all the windows, helped a lot.
We did discover in the dead of summer we just used the cold water, the water in the line was hot enough to shower.
The manual for the tankless actually says to remove the restrictor from the hose going to the shower head.
That helped make a nice shower flow.
Happy travels
Rich and Ana
RichnAna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #481

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
Barbara,

We bought the 295RL, we have been out in the unit 2 times and we just love it. We ran the dishwasher only to make sure it works but don't expect to use it after that.

If you would like I can provide the fix list we provided the dealer after our second trip.

Hope you enjoy your unit as much as we do.

Mike
We are about to pick up our new, 2014 leftover 295rl and would appreciate your fix list if you wouldn't mind.

Thank you
OverTheRd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #482

I strongly suggest you require a check of the alignment after your first trip. My tires had less then 8K miles and the outside edge was down to the wear bars. Hope the list below helps.

1. Living area - TV reception “snowy” even when connected to cable TV
2. Dining area slide – right corner at floor not sealing
3. Bedroom - A/C sounds like a freight train
4. Hitch - Donut will not stay inflated (flat in 2 days)
5. Bathroom under sink – large gap around hot and cold pipes, I can see the ground outside, needs to be sealed
6. Bedroom – sliding closet door lock, with lock not in place I can see the ground outside, needs to be sealed
7. Bedroom – trim on right night stand is not flush with edge of night stand
8. Kitchen – surface scratch on counter top island
9. Kitchen – small scratch on freezer door (lower right)
10. Outside – leaf springs click loudly when turning right or left
11. Outside - decals starting to peal at the points
12. Outside – body had spots about the size of a dime every 18” all the way around the trailer. Evergreen repainted the unit.
13. After 4 short trips the tires showed extensive wear, check of alignment showed the tires required alignment. Evergreen paid for 3 new tires.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #483

Evergreen Owners Club
Day 45
We have had to fix the hot water heater twice I will hopefully have some posts for that coming up soon to show you guys how we did it. But I did want to share a quick little fix for the Main dining room table that we have.

As most of you probably have A somewhat wobbly dining room table with two pedestals beneath the table itself. If it is just you and your wife this probably works out great! However we are on our voyage with a six-year-old who knocks the table quite a bit when she is sitting down. If you have a drink that's filled all the way to the top more likely it's going to spell a little or everything going to be moved around a little bit.

As a fix to this! At camping world we purchased a third pedestal. Installation was a snap! You will need a screwdriver with a squarehead and preferably a drill to attach to that! And that is it!

First we pulled off the table from the two pedestals. If the front pedestal (The one furthest away from the wall) is already already in a position that you like it you can leave it where it is and use it as a base. You will need to uninstall the back pedestal and reinstall them in a different location. I found that when Evergreen installed the table at the factory it was just a little crooked not too bad, while you do this you can fix that problem. While you have the table top off install the plastic portion that attaches to the pedestal on the table top. And since now you have three table legs. Put these other two in the back closest to the wall towards the outside of the table. Once you have all of the plastic parts attached to the top of the table. Attach the table legs to the table top and put it back into position. The one that you are using as a base will still be installed and you can line up the table against the wall with that. Once the two back legs are in the position where you want them just screw them in to the floor.

Total installation time took about 15 minutes. And I think the extra pedestal leg costs under $50.

You still only have three table legs but this significantly brings down the amount of wobbled that the table has. I'm sure if you installed a fourth one it would be even better, but you would have to contend with that leg when you were getting in and out of the table.

Happy camping!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428757270.845710.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	91116
FOXBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #484

Evergreen Owners Club
Dish Tailgater and current television replacement

Hello fellow Bay Hill owners...

I am having excellent success with the Dish Tailgater after having a local satellite television guru rewire the exterior inputs and interior connections as they came from the Evergreen factory. I was successfully able to activate the local Dish programming in my current location near San Francisco. The reception has made the initial investment worthwhile!

My Bay Hill 320RS came with two Sansui televisions. Both have performed very well either with a cable hookup and now with the satellite connection. If you're like my wife and me, you probably noted that the living area television cabinetry could house a larger television. I believe ours is about a 40 inch model (perhaps slightly larger). I would like to replace this TV with a larger unit. The television pedestal is securely connected to the cabinet's base. Perhaps it's bolted in place.

I contacted Evergreen and was impressed with how quickly I received a friendly response from Evergreen's Bill Stout. His reply indicated the television should have release levers with either cords or perhaps a chain dangling from the levers. So far, I have not been able to locate the release levers. The distance between the television and back wall is very slight.

Has anyone attempted to make a television replacement, and, if so, were you able to locate the release levers?

thanks...Ken & Lucy
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #485

Evergreen Owners Club
Hi Ken,
Can't help you with this one. On our 365RL the tv is mounted to the rear wall of a slide via a wall swivel mount. If you don't get an answer here you might have better luck with a new thread. I'm sure other brands have the same set up as your's.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #486

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks Keith...my bedroom TV is on the swivel mount, but the living room unit seems to be bolted to the base of the cabinet enclosure. Replacing the living room television is certainly not a high priority item at this point.

Thanks, however, for responding...

Ken
Old 04-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #487

New BH

We are due to pick up our new 379FL within the next few weeks. This is our first fifth wheel rig as well as first experience with Bay Hill. Looking for suggestions that we should be checking before driving off of the dealers lot here in Minnesota. We bought from Quality RV in Monticello MN so if anyone else has experience with them we would appreciate your input

Thanks
Tim
Trail Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #488

Evergreen Owners Club
What to check

Tim...

My wife says to check "every damn thing." While she is usually not given to such harsh language, you no doubt realize there are numerous components in any RV. If you're new to fifth wheels and, specifically, Bay Hill, I would suggest you make sure you have a thorough demonstration and/or explanation of the following:

• The slide out system. Listen carefully that the slides are moving smoothly in and out. Our entertainment/kitchen slide thumped in and out. The dealer said it was normal; it was not. Major issues ensued that required months of our RV being out of service.

* Make sure the water tank is secured to the frame. Bay Hills have had issues with water tanks simply falling out of the frame or the restraining straps giving way.

• Get a thorough explanation of how the auto-leveling system functions. Ours malfunctioned in the Sonoran Desert right after purchasing the Bay Hill.

• If your trailer has come with an Atwood or Girard tankless water heater, realize this is the most discussed issue with Bay Hill (and other RV brands) trailers. Many subtleties exist on how to work tankless water heaters successfully.

• Last...read through this forum's posts! You will get a panoramic view of Bay Hills strengths and shortcomings.

After two years of ownership, we now have ironed out the kinks of Bay Hill ownership. Also, if you have not done so, check out the Yelp reviews of the dealership who sold you the trailer if there are any.

Ken & Lucy
Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 AM   #489

Tell your dealer to check the axel alignment, Evergreen had to replace all 3 tires and pay for an alignment on my unit. I was very fortunate my Bay Hill was still under warranty.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #490

Evergreen Owners Club
Tim,

Day 55

When we picked up ours it was extremely cold for Texas. And I did not come prepared with the jacket gloves or had protection that I should have. So our walk-through was as half as long as I had wanted it to be.

Just remember that your dealer and/or maintenance guy that does the walk-through with you is not an RV Bayhill expert. And they have to know many aspects of many different styles and types of RVs, whatever they have on their lot. Also even though they might live in an RV or have lived in an RV at some point in time they have not lived in your model. The maintenance guy we did our walk-through with was was very knowledgeable but did not have extensive in-depth knowledge on some of the systems on our Bayhill. If you read this forum and also read the owners manual's that you will receive from the dealer, you should be well-versed if not more versed on some of the systems that you will be going over.

Yesterday I was cleaning the floor by hand and found two bumps on our floor and I thought to myself that if we would've spent the time to actually do a thorough cleaning during our RV inspection we would've found many more things that they could have fixed on the spot. So if you ever have been in the military and want to do a G.I. party on your brand-new RV, I would recommend it. I think if you clean it inch by inch like you would a military bathroom you'll be able to find many more things to fix or remedy before you drive it off a lot.

Like a post before mine you definitely want to check the Atwood water heater and get as much knowledge on that as possible.

If you can fill up the freshwater tank and see if that blows at the back of the camper that would be another thing to check. The two graywater tanks and two black water tanks on mine does not seem to have any problems. But on my list of things to do is to drop the skirt and see what is going on with the freshwater tank.

In the outdoor kitchen the metal barbecue holder seem to line up directly with one of the latches and when fully extended it stripped the screw in the wood. I did happen to find this on the walk around so the dealer put in a longer screw. So two weeks after we drove it off I had to unscrew the whole system and move it a couple inches to the right to allow it to fully extend without leveraging and using the latch as a fulcrum to strip the wood screws.

Even though the auto leveling system is pretty amazing. It was not set up completely correctly and needed to be reset for level. I would bring a small level with you and have them teach you on how to recalibrate the auto leveling system. When you are measuring for level you want to check many different surfaces. Personally I check three different surfaces.one right in the door, two in the bathroom and three the surface under the master bed slide.

I think though if you are doing as much research as you can you will be good. However for us to get everything ironed out and to where we are happy living in it took us about two weeks. During that two weeks we had to buy lots of things for our RV. And we have many more things to build and fix to make it exactly the way we want it.

We bought ours unseen and we did lots of research and lots of planning. But I think no matter how much planning and research you do there's nothing like the experience of living in it yourself. Good luck and happy camping

Shawn, DW, and Bella
FOXBACK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen