Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #505

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. The experiences and experience of all the responders to my questions will be very helpful in making my decision on these two questions.

I especially like the ideas of "banking" and paying my self as well as the idea of a specific credit card ONLY for the camper repairs.

Thanks again everyone for helping me with my decision.

Tim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #506

Hello Bayhill Friends, My wife and I are full time RV's and have lived in our 340 RK since November 2013. We love the unit and the layout; however I have never owned an RV with so many problems. We have been RV owners since the late 1970. We have owned 2 Winnebago, 1 Forest River, 1 Fleetwood, 1 Revella. Three we have bought brand new including the Bayhill.

Along with many of the other issues mentioned in this forum the most troubling to me is the slide outs that won't come in and the delamination of the exterior over top the dining and pantry slide out. I am trying hard to get Evergreen to stand by their 3 year structure warranty. I hope they do.

Here is my list:

1. Changed gas regulator
2. Replaced gate valve extensions (from cable to steel) and secured them properly
3. Replaced outside LED lighting
4. Had to have the awning re wired because it was wired through the dining room light which meant you had to have the lite on to extend it or retract it. Kept blowing bulbs.
5. Had to change wiring in get air conditioner in the bedroom to work properly
6. Wires to ceiling lights in BR and closet were incorrectly wired and stopped working
7. Had a fire in the Electrical panel due to a lose fuse.
8. Toilet back splashed quickly. Pipe vent was way to low in black tank.
9. Washer/Dryer prep meant you had to find the pipes underneath and finish the plumbing for water and drain.
10. Kitchen water faucet sprayer broke (will not toggle). They replaced it. Worked two months new one broke.
11. Replaced sensors in tankless WH twice
12. TV in living area just quit one day. Replaced it
13. Trouble with living room slide out, now it quit completely
14. Delamination taking place on exterior

The idea of buying a brand new unit is not to have trouble for a few years. So much for that.

Have I mentioned we love the unit?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #507

It still amazes me that people are buying Bay Hills with all the trouble that's been reported. Even some reading here, then going out to buy. I know most have few issues. All 3 of our trailers have had some sorting out, but wow, nothing like what Evergreen is building.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #508

Evergreen Owners Club
Bayhill and beyond

To the best of my knowledge, 2013 was the first year Bay Hills were produced by Evergreen, a company that expanded from making lightweight towables to larger and presumably more luxurious RVs. This forum is a partial testament to the mechanical problems Bay Hill owners have endured. My 2013 320RS had many of the issues you detailed in your list, Triggs, as did numerous Bay Hill owners.

As with many Bay Hill owners, some of smaller problems were owner fixable; most owners had to rely on either the selling dealership and/or Evergreen, and that's where part of the ownership problems lay. The atypical dealership that sold my Bay Hill washed its hands of Evergreen products and me before the one-year warranty expired. From what I can gather, some California dealerships have ceased selling not only Bay Hills but also other Evergreen products, notably Lifestyle 5th wheels.

You end your posting with an ironic touch. Once the problems had been resolved (my wife and I always have our fingers crossed), we really enjoy our Bay Hill and have found it to be a comfortable and reliable RV. Like you, we have owned several previous RVs and while this one has given us the most grief over the long haul it is by far the most livable.

It seems fewer and fewer Bay Hill problems are being reported in this forum. Does this mean that quality control in manufacturing Bay Hills is becoming more reliable...or does it mean fewer RV buyers are purchasing this 5th wheel brand?
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #509

I really don't want to come across as being negative and as ironic as it is we do enjoy living in the unit. I live by the 100 year rule before I ever get upset about something, "What effect will this have on me 100 years from now?". If it isn't going to effect me then, I am not going let it upset me now. So I will live with these things and work to get them resolved.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggs View Post
I really don't want to come across as being negative and as ironic as it is we do enjoy living in the unit. I live by the 100 year rule before I ever get upset about something, "What effect will this have on me 100 years from now?". If it isn't going to effect me then, I am not going let it upset me now. So I will live with these things and work to get them resolved.
That is funny. I live by the 1000 year rule. I'm always telling people that in 1000 yrs no one will remember or care about our petty little decisions, or lives for that matter. In respect to the universe and billions and billions of years of existance, what we do, think, or say has no more significance than that little dust particle we see floating by when the light hits it just right. That is us existing in a flicker of light. A fleeting moment of awareness that we even exist.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #511

I think we each should be careful to define what we want out of this forum. I joined the forum after I saw that there were many constructive suggestions about solving common RV problems (ones that are certainly not unique to Bay Hill). I'm happy to say that it has been a useful experience for me and I have been able to deal with what I consider to be "normal" problems that arise with a new RV -- because the folks who identified problems also offered solutions. My request would be that the folks who offer up a complaint also offer up a solution (even if the solution is to get rid of the Bay Hill and buy something else, presumably a perfect one from another manufacturer). In my view, this forum should be a place to identify fixes, not just a place to file complaints.
My Bay Hill is a 2015 model and it looks like the company's quality control has picked up quite a bit compared to the problems identified with the earlier models. I have fixed a few problems, some with help of my dealer, most with the help of people on this forum. I should say that the problems I have dealt with are not any more numerous or severe than the last new RB I bought (a 2007 Forest River Cardinal), and I think I'm going to enjoy this one for many years.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #512

Excel Owners Club
It takes a couple of years to work the bugs and kinks out of any new RV.

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #513

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It still amazes me that people are buying Bay Hills with all the trouble that's been reported. Even some reading here, then going out to buy. I know most have few issues. All 3 of our trailers have had some sorting out, but wow, nothing like what Evergreen is building.

We have a 2015 340RK. Ordered it in July and picked up in September. We live fulltime in it and have put on around 7000 miles. Any issues we have had have been minor and we're mostly the Lippert components.

We love our Bay Hill and have been extremely pleased with it. We would buy again but hope to have this one for many, many years.

I've known many people who have bought brand new homes and have issues that need repaired aftwr they move in. It is inherent with anything new.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #514

Question...is Bayhill a step up from Alfa Gold or are they even both being a step below Lifestyle? Is a Bayhill 96" or 102" wide?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #515

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Question...is Bayhill a step up from Alfa Gold or are they even both being a step below Lifestyle? Is a Bayhill 96" or 102" wide?
I have tried to find out if the Alfa is on a Lippert or in house frame. Can't get that info from the website. All Bayhills are 102"
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
I have tried to find out if the Alfa is on a Lippert or in house frame. Can't get that info from the website. All Bayhills are 102"
The Bayhill web site says Steel 'I' beam frame.
Bay Hill - Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
It seems that Bayhill and Alpha Gold have identical floor plans. But the Alpha Gold is listed under the Lifestyle with the Double Stacked box tube construction whereas the Bayhill has 'I' beam construction. I don't have a clue if there are any other differences.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #518

If your unsure about models of any manufacturer why not simply go to their website and look for yourself instead of asking the same question over and over...lol
Alfa Gold and Lifestyle are owned by Evergreen and are made at a separate plant. They are a notch above the Bayhill, but since they are made by the same company...yes there will be similarities in floorplans...LIKE ALL OTHER MANUFACTURERS. Every company does that! With all that said you will find problems after delivery on almost any product...but I've seen fewer problems with the Bayhill, Lifestyle, and Alfa Gold because they're not trying to see how fast they can build them like Heartland, Dutchmen, or even Forest River. People...just do your OWN homework instead relying on misinformation on here from people that know nothing about the product they are commenting about. Its always helpful to hear from owners of these products, but I would disregard comments from non owners.

Tags
evergreen