Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #631

Evergreen Owners Club
galley drain

Ken:

ours also had trouble, but the handle didn't come off, the covering that the cable ran through came loose on one end. All three drains were very hard to move. Bends were to tight. So we had our repair facility do the repairs and a the same time move the one on the outside by the sewer outlet drain into the service bay. So now we have all three lined up and enclosed. At the same time they also made repairs to to all three so they work great without binding.

Chris&Judy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #632

Evergreen Owners Club
Galley Drain

Thanks Chris. My handle didn't actually come off. The housing where the cable and handle passed through must have rusted out. Your solution of having all three drain handles located in the service bay is what I'm going to try to achieve when I get back to California from Arizona. At least the galley drain is in the open position so we won't be backing up with water.

Ken

KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #633

Evergreen Owners Club
On my new 2016 375RE Bay Hill all three are in the service bay. I don't know how hard they are to open and close. We just picked it up on the 18th of January and came home on the 20th. We have only used it two days setup at the dealer to do a shakedown and the tech opened them and closed them for me.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #634

Warranty

I haven't posted here for quite a while but for good reason. We took our maiden voyage with our 379fl last fall. After which we took it back to the dealer with a list of issues that needed to be resolved under warranty.

So the date we took it into the dealer was late September and we are still waiting for Evergreen/Bay Hill to "authorize" all the repairs and replacement of defective products.

I stated to my dealer yesterday, Quality RV in Monticello MN, that if I bought a Chevrolet car and if a brake caliper failed I would take it back to the dealer and he would replace it. The dealer would not wait for the caliper manufacturer to OK the replacement or repair. I cannot believe that in this day and age that the RV industry is not held to this same type of standards that the auto industry is held. My point here being that I bought a Bay Hill RV. I did not, at the time, realize that I bought a collection of parts from multiple manufacturers and each of those manufacturers had their own warranty policy. Why is not my Bay Hill dealer being an advocate for me their customer?

Don't get me wrong here we loved our 7 day stay in our Bay Hill but right now the dealer has had the RV longer than I have had it. Guess they dealer/bayhill won't give me back 5 months on my warranty!

Are all dealers/manufacturers like this or did I just fail to perform enough due diligence and buy my first new rv from a bad manufacturer?

Tim
Old 01-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #635

What you need to do is directly contact the warrenty rep at Bay Hill with your grievences how long you have been waiting for repairs . Some of these dealers are the worst when it comes to doing repairs in a timely fashion. If that doesn't work tell him you are going to contact trailer life mag and thwy can read itin print for all the RV world to see
Old 01-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #636

Evergreen Owners Club
Warranty Woes

Tim...

You pose one of the eternal questions in the RV buying and ownership experience: Are all dealers/manufacturers like this or did I just fail to perform enough due diligence and buy my first new rv from a bad manufacturer?

How does one perform "due diligence"? You go and look at a prospective RV and listen to the salesperson's spiel and you get one side of the story. Or if you're lucky you run into people who own the RV brand you're interested in and can give you positive or negative feedback. Or you consult rating services like YELP or "Google it" on the Internet. In the case of YELP, the people who post there fall into two categories for the most part, those who have had a positive buying experience but who have NOT had to deal with warranty issues (5 stars). And then there those individuals--perhaps like you and me--who have owned the RV for awhile and have tried to return it for warranty service (1 star ratings, usually).

I bought my Bay Hill in January 2013, and I DID NOT perform due diligence. The dealership refused to perform warranty service because, allegedly, Evergreen was not reimbursing them for warranty work. After performing a YELP search on Best RV in Turlock, California, I realized i had made a horrible mistake in buying my Bay Hill from that dealership. I fell into that latter category of buyers who get lied to or put off by the dealerships who just want to sell you an RV and then wash their collective hands when servicing issues arise. And like your RV, mine was out of service for many months with minor quality control issues and with major slide-out problems.

Fortunately, I have found an excellent service provider who has resolved the small issues and a huge problem when my kitchen/entertainment center slide out refused to retract in Oregon on a trip from California to Canada and back. I contacted Evergreen about the incident and received an immediate response from the Warranty Manager, Dean Brovont. He seemed to be aware of our previous slide-out issues through the company's warranty records. Even though my Bay Hill was out of warranty, he authorized the necessary repair parts for a complete rebuild of the faulty slide-out when we returned to California. I covered the labor cost to perform the rebuild, and now the kitchen slide-out moves smoothly and quietly.

Now, going into my fourth year of Bay Hill ownership, my wife and I have been to numerous campgrounds and large RV parks. I have seen exactly one other Bay Hill 5th wheel in our travels. I see many Montanas and various Forest River 5th wheels...but only ONE other Bay Hill. I suspect many RVers have done their "due diligence" when it comes to buying a serviceable RV.

I hope you get your Bay Hill back in good shape and you continue to have positive RVing experiences. Hopefully Evergreen has moved past the growing pains stage in the manufacturing and quality control process. They do produce eye-catching recreational vehicles. Would I buy another Evergreen product? Hmmm...not until I perform that "due diligence."

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #637

I would think that after reading 35 of the 46 pages on here about poor quality Bay Hill construction would be enough diligence to look at another brand. Bay Hill and Evergreen for that matter are the best example of bling over quality.
As to having my RV siting on a dealers lot for 5 months. That's total BS. I know for sure that after 2 weeks with no headway being made I would've been on the phone calling someone that could actually make a decision.
And not all dealers or MFGs treat you the same way. I've had 3 trailers, 2 TTs and my current 5th wheel. Never had any issues with the 1st TT. 2nd TT had one issue. It was dealt with during PDI. Current 5th wheel had one issue as well. It was dealt with quickly. Also the same MFG was available by phone to answer any of my concerns. They even sent me a new water pump 22 months into ownership.
I've never contacted my current 5th wheel dealer since buying the 5th wheel. I deal directly with the MFG.
Advice to all is to buy from a MFG that provides contact between buyer and MFG. Look at it this way. The brand you're looking at is built by one MFG. But that MFG has many dealers selling that product. The chance of one of them being jerks is pretty high. That's why you need to investigate how the MFG handles warranty concerns. It's water under the bridge for most, but any newbs reading this should be forewarned. Check out the MFG before the dealer.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #638

Texas Boomers Club
I think that unless the items to be repaired are serious safety issues or somehow interfere with the normal and safe operation of the trailer, I would pick it up from the dealer and tell him to call when the "authorization" comes in and the parts are in hand. Then give him a reasonable time frame to install said parts and move on with your life.

Then, as stated by others, I would call the company and verify that the warranty claim has actually been made. It is not unheard of for dealers to string people along. The thing has been sitting on the dealers lot for over 25% of your warranty period.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #639

Warranty items

I had one warranty issue with my Bay Hill. The awning motor froze up. It was approved and corrected within 10 days. The time it took for a new motor to be shipped in. I had two other problems that I corrected myself. The CD player would not play CDs. I corrected that by removing a set screw used to stabilize the unit during shipped that was never removed. And the shower was not staying consistently warm. I remedied that by adjusting the shower head as recommended in this thread.

I have been living in my unit full time since July. I have moved it twice, about 200 miles each time. My experience with Bay Hill and the warranty has been excellent.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #640

Evergreen Owners Club
a big thumbs up for Bay Hill

We to had some warranty work done and didn't have to take it to a Bay Hill dealer. All that was needed for the repair facility of our choosing to get the OK from Bay Hill. The repairs were made and the facility was payed in a timely manor.

We have found there customer service to be good. All questions answered and any parts we needed were shipped free of charge, even one or two after the warranty had expired.

We are not in the market for anything new but when we are we would consider Bay Hill again.

We just were wondering about the complaints expressed here how many like us who find there Bay Hill to be a very comfortable and reliable unit don't post???

Oh well, enough of this, the sun is shining and it's cocktail time setting outside our Bay Hill at Pismo Beach.

Chris&Judy
2014 295RL
Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #641

After reading all the responses to my initial post (thank you all) on lack of response to warranty work on our Bay Hill 379fl I called the dealer and asked to come up to do a site visit and also asked them to have my RV in the shop so we could get out of the cold.

My wife and I visited Quality RV on Saturday morning and spent about 2.5 hours reviewing all the items on the punch list with the service manager. Surprisingly only about 4 items out of 19 remained to be completed. 3 will be completed this week and the final one will be waiting on the furniture manufacturer to ship a replacement couch.

During our visit I reviewed most of the display RV's in the showroom and in the service bay thinking I may need to re-visit my decision to purchase a Bay Hill camper. After doing all the reviewing I need to state that I am still very impressed with my camper and will not be making a change.

Thanks again to all of you that responded to my post appreciate everyone's input.

Happy Camping
Tim
Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #642

Texas Boomers Club
Good luck Tim, hope it works out for you.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #643

Evergreen Owners Club
Bay Hill problems

Good luck Tim. Sounds like things are coming together for ya.
Hope you and yours enjoy your Bay Hill and the many adventures headed your way.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #644

Evergreen Owners Club
To all concerned,

Couple days ago we reached the year mark for living full-time in our Bayhill. And we have loved it! After having the chance to look at other RVs and different floorplans I would like to take a second and tell everybody why I love this Bayhill 385BH versus some of the others and what has made our full-time experience worthwhile.

Number 1: I think the biggest thing that we have on our rig that allows us to full-time comfortably is a washer dryer. And after looking at other models and where they place their washer drier, in the master bedroom on the front bulkhead, if you want to place a washer dryer in it would take up valuable closet space. In our Bayhill the washer dryer is still in the master bedroom but it is on the other wall and does not take up any closet space on the front bulkhead. Also if we did not have a washer and dryer we would have another whole closet which would give us a lot of room.
Number 2: on demand hot water heater. Yes everything you've read in the previous posts about the hot water heater being finicky is still true, and we had some of our own problems. Like I came out of the camper one morning and it was completely dumping water on to the ground because it was leaking and then the part took about a week to get in and we didn't have any hot water for that time. Yeah it was that bad. But the fact that we have as much hot water as we want and my wife can enjoy endless hot showers(or until we run out of propane). Is a big plus, And for us it is worth any extra work.
Number 3: The full-size 20" stove that we put in. (see a post about 10 or 20 ago)That allows us to cook like we were in a regular house. It allows us to bake whatever we want to include turkeys. The note I would add though is this. The burners that we have on top even though we got an extra one are all 9000 BTUs. There were a couple models that we looked at that one or more of the top burners were over 9000 BTUs. If I could do it again I would get a different oven that had at least one burner over 9000 BTUs. I think I remember seeing one that had one burner with 12,000 or 10,000 BTUs. It is not that big of an issue but when it does come to boiling water 9000 BTUs will work but 12,000 would obviously go a lot quicker. Another thing we had to install after the fact of installing the oven was some tile. Some of the burners on the left side would get the wall a little bit too hot. So to protect the wall, keep it nice, and prevent it from burning down our house we got two or three pieces of tile that we liked and glued them to the wall. Problem solved!

Those are our top three biggest onboard equipment items that I feel make it easy for us to full-time.

Now since the conversation has moved to Bayhill warranties I will let you know my experience. Luckily we did not have any Bayhill warranty issues! However I checked the closest Evergreen dealer to us to see if I had a warranty issue if they would be able to take care of it. I did not buy my RV from this dealer. The dealer had told me they would be glad to take care of it, provided Evergreen paid them the money upfront. Then they went into how Evergreen has a problem with paying out warranties. All the other appliances that we did have problems with a slide motor, the hot water heater, and the refrigerator were all under their individual companies and those warranties worked great! I was able to get a repairman to come out and either fix the problem or I was able to get it covered at a dealer and the turnaround was very minimum. I think in the last year we had to spend two nights in a hotel because RV was getting checked on or in the shop. And the only reason we did that as we did not want to stay in our RV at the dealer or there was a timing issue from the time I got off work and the time that they actually closed the dealership.

The last thing I wanted to mention was valves for all of our water tanks black and gray on our Bayhill. The valves that Bayhill used have a braided cable and were pretty poor quality. The first time I had to change one it was on our main black tank. What had happened was there was a little piece of toilet paper or something that was stuck in the valve and the braided cable was not strong enough to fully seat the valve. So when you try to close it the braided cable had bent, So our black tank was leaking just a little bit, which everyone knows is really bad. Changing the valve for the first time took about half a day and I had to empty the tank a couple of times before I changed it. The new valve I got was of better quality The cable itself is a solid piece of metal. I think the brand-name was Valtrex. And the valve itself is only about 50 or 60 bucks. But the thing that took the longest was to drop the underskirting to be able to get to it. I would recommend two things if you're ever going to drop the skirting. Number 1: get a crawler! The type that you would use to get into a car, and with that you need to have your RV on a concrete pad. That makes all the difference in the world. Number 2o not use a ratchet to unscrew all of the screws down there. It will take you forever. Ace Hardware sells a little drill bit where you can attach sockets to. Once you have a socket attached your drill it will make the time it takes to take off one screw about 5 to 10 seconds versus using a ratchet and it would be over a minute.
So far I've had to change out two of the four valves that we have on our rig. I will eventually have to change out the two gray tanks but both of the black tanks had to get changed out. We just use our black tank valves more often.

Also if you have to change out the main galley black tank valve getting an extra person to help you out once you get the skirting off would probably be helpful. And that one is just a little bit harder to replace because you got three of your four tanks draining into the single tube that comes out over there. The back black tank was easy because there was only one drain to connecting to it. Changing my black tank in the back only took me about two hours.

Good luck and I hope this post helps

Shawn

Tags
evergreen