Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #645

Evergreen Owners Club
I would think if your slide cables for the drain valves go bad that you could just replace them instead of the whole valve and the cable. Or am I missing something?

Also to prevent toilet paper from jamming the valve flush the tank with water while the valve is open and it should wash any tp out. I haven't had a chance to find out on ours yet but all my other brands I never had any problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #646

Evergreen Owners Club
Also maybe you are using the wrong tp. You want a tp that dissolves quickly.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #647

Evergreen Owners Club
how many shower flow restrictors?

On my 2013 Bay Hill 320RS, I removed the plastic 3-hole restrictor in the shower handle and the water flow improved slightly. I would have thought that I might have seen a more substantial flow from my previous trickle (you know the old joke about running around in the shower to get wet...). Is there a second flow restrictor located in the hose as it comes in from the wall? I have my Valterra water pressure regulator set at 45 psi. Maybe increasing that to 50-55 psi might improve the shower flow.

Any thoughts?

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #648

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInCA View Post
On my 2013 Bay Hill 320RS, I removed the plastic 3-hole restrictor in the shower handle and the water flow improved slightly. I would have thought that I might have seen a more substantial flow from my previous trickle (you know the old joke about running around in the shower to get wet...). Is there a second flow restrictor located in the hose as it comes in from the wall? I have my Valterra water pressure regulator set at 45 psi. Maybe increasing that to 50-55 psi might improve the shower flow.

Any thoughts?

Ken
If we have full hookups, I set my regulator to 60 psi. If not, then 45 psi. Less if we are staying for more than 3 nights.

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #649

After three months of full time RVing in my 2013 385 I solved my temperature problem in the shower by replacing the shower head with one that provides a greater flow rate and lowering the temperature setting. Now I have hot water for as long as I want without the bone chilling cold spells. The park that I'm in provides 40 PSI at the connection, perhaps a higher PSI would provide a more stable water temperature because of the increased flow rate. To check this remove the handheld from the hose and run a test.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #650

Evergreen Owners Club
shower head

Thank you for the replies. If you don't mind my asking, what brand of shower head did you buy to replace the original?

Ken
Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #651

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. If you don't mind my asking, what brand of shower head did you buy to replace the original?

Ken
I went to Walmart and bought a multiple spray head. One of the settings allows a higher flow rate and that solved my issue. I discovered this when running the water at the kitchen faucet (which has a higher flow rate) and found there is not a temperature swing when running just the hot water. When I add some cold water to the mix I started see the wide temperature swings and deduced that with a low flow rate through the water heater the water would get over heated which would trigger the gas heater to turn off which allowed the water to get cold before turning back on to heat the water. Keep in mind that the on demand water heater has very little capacity to keep water heated when the hot water is being used.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #652

Evergreen Owners Club
I seem to have no problem having enough hot water. 12 gallon water heater more than enough for both the wife and I with plenty left over. No worries about freezing/scalding. Stays same temp throughout the entire shower! Also helps that water heater is directly below the bathroom in the basement.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #653

Tankless recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschneider View Post
I went to Walmart and bought a multiple spray head. One of the settings allows a higher flow rate and that solved my issue. I discovered this when running the water at the kitchen faucet (which has a higher flow rate) and found there is not a temperature swing when running just the hot water. When I add some cold water to the mix I started see the wide temperature swings and deduced that with a low flow rate through the water heater the water would get over heated which would trigger the gas heater to turn off which allowed the water to get cold before turning back on to heat the water. Keep in mind that the on demand water heater has very little capacity to keep water heated when the hot water is being used.
We just sent our camper to the shop because we had a recall on our Atwood tankless water heater...check with your dealer to see if yours has a recall. We had the same problem as you..water scaling one minute and freezing the next..we tried all of the suggestions on here but nothing helped
Old 04-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #654

379fl

Hi greengo1, I am looking at purchasing the newer design 2016 379fl model, any and all information that you know or recommend thus far is appreciated from anyone. This will be my first 5er and we will be full timing, I will be travel nursing and moving around the states to stay warm every 13 weeks. I have read the entire forum and hoping the kinks have been worked out. I have a long list from reading the forum that I will bring up to the dealer before I even go there as it is 5 hours away in grand Rapids MI. I hope they do a good shakedown and check that everything is working and fixed before I even get there. Have you or any other 379fl owners had any big hiccups? If this is our home and something under warranty needs fixing then does evergreen cover the hotel costs while fixing? I have always dreamed about doing this and just don't want to have regrets when I can't make it to my next contract because something horrible happens with the 5er. Open to any and all comments and thank you all for already giving me tons of great iformation!

P.s. we will always be parked at a campground or rv park with full hook ups so any insight on WH choice or anything else is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #655

I am also interested in the new 2016 design of the 340rk, some positives would be fewer slides to potentially go wrong, a little shorter and lighter to save on diesel, just really like the front living room on the 379 fl. How do each of these pull? I'll be towing with a 2016 gmc 3500 diesel, short box with a slider hitch, single rear wheel.
Justin
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #656

Quote:
Tim...

You pose one of the eternal questions in the RV buying and ownership experience: Are all dealers/manufacturers like this or did I just fail to perform enough due diligence and buy my first new rv from a bad manufacturer?

How does one perform "due diligence"? You go and look at a prospective RV and listen to the salesperson's spiel and you get one side of the story. Or if you're lucky you run into people who own the RV brand you're interested in and can give you positive or negative feedback. Or you consult rating services like YELP or "Google it" on the Internet. In the case of YELP, the people who post there fall into two categories for the most part, those who have had a positive buying experience but who have NOT had to deal with warranty issues (5 stars). And then there those individuals--perhaps like you and me--who have owned the RV for awhile and have tried to return it for warranty service (1 star ratings, usually).

I bought my Bay Hill in January 2013, and I DID NOT perform due diligence. The dealership refused to perform warranty service because, allegedly, Evergreen was not reimbursing them for warranty work. After performing a YELP search on Best RV in Turlock, California, I realized i had made a horrible mistake in buying my Bay Hill from that dealership. I fell into that latter category of buyers who get lied to or put off by the dealerships who just want to sell you an RV and then wash their collective hands when servicing issues arise. And like your RV, mine was out of service for many months with minor quality control issues and with major slide-out problems.

Fortunately, I have found an excellent service provider who has resolved the small issues and a huge problem when my kitchen/entertainment center slide out refused to retract in Oregon on a trip from California to Canada and back. I contacted Evergreen about the incident and received an immediate response from the Warranty Manager, Dean Brovont. He seemed to be aware of our previous slide-out issues through the company's warranty records. Even though my Bay Hill was out of warranty, he authorized the necessary repair parts for a complete rebuild of the faulty slide-out when we returned to California. I covered the labor cost to perform the rebuild, and now the kitchen slide-out moves smoothly and quietly.

Now, going into my fourth year of Bay Hill ownership, my wife and I have been to numerous campgrounds and large RV parks. I have seen exactly one other Bay Hill 5th wheel in our travels. I see many Montanas and various Forest River 5th wheels...but only ONE other Bay Hill. I suspect many RVers have done their "due diligence" when it comes to buying a serviceable RV.

I hope you get your Bay Hill back in good shape and you continue to have positive RVing experiences. Hopefully Evergreen has moved past the growing pains stage in the manufacturing and quality control process. They do produce eye-catching recreational vehicles. Would I buy another Evergreen product? Hmmm...not until I perform that "due diligence."

Ken
We are planning a trip down to Best RV to look at the Cardinal 5th wheels, a 3 hour drive. I have not googled Best RV but I will, wish I had done that when I bought from Cordelia RV. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #657

Evergreen Owners Club
Cardinal and Best (Worst) RV dealership

I would check YELP reviews and Better Business Bureau information on Best RV in Turlock. I think you'll readily see that this is an RV dealership you would want to avoid like the bubonic plague. YELP reviews paint a dismally consistent picture: people may get a satisfactory deal on an RV purchase; however, after-sale warranty service will be non-existent. The ownership's cantankerous attitude toward its customers would suggest a better overall buying experience could be had elsewhere. In addition, Best does very little in pre-delivery inspection of an RV to make sure when the customer takes his/her new RV purchase off the premises, one or more catastrophies won't occur.

I owned a Cardinal 31LE for seven years prior to buying an Evergreen Bay Hill. Both trailers were pulled by my 2007 GMC long bed diesel with an Allison transmission. For the most part, the Cardinal performed very well. If my wife and I had RVing issues, it was almost always related to water pipe leakage. Other major components like the slide-outs and heater/AC worked flawlessly.

Also, check the GVWR for your truck. Newer Cardinals appear to be heavier than the one I bought in 2007. If you're pulling with a 3/4 ton truck make sure that it'll have enough muscle to pull and safely stop your RV.

Best of luck...Ken
Old 04-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #658

We have had our 379FL for just over a year now. There were several problems initially however, the dealer (quality RV MN) has become very responsive on getting things fixed.

We have been pulling this camper with our GMC 2500 duramax without a lot of problems. Mileage is not great, around 10 at 65 MPH. Although it always seems like when we are towing the wind is in our faces and we are going uphill both ways. We had a problem with overheating on one trip but my service guys said that the radiator was dirty on the outsice and he took things apart to perform a thorough cleaning of the outside of the cooling fins etc and all seems to be good now.

My wife and I love having the living room in the front and the kitchen midship. So far we really like our camper, are planning a major trip 10 day to Colorado over memorial day time to attend a concert and get some away from work time. We want to thank all of you for the input last year when we had some issues with our camper. The advice we recieved here was key in resolving our problems.

Thanks again
Tim Wegner

Tags
evergreen