Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #701
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 11
slider hitch

We had a slider hitch installed in our Silverado 2500 to tow our 340RK but have never needed to use it. There doesn't appear to be a problem with the 6.5 Ft bed.
__________________

__________________
JOHNRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #702
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Question Bay Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInCA View Post
Hi Mustang. Yep...got to get them pronouns in the right case )

Glad you found a spot in the Phoenix area. Desert Shadows gets good reviews and certainly is much larger than 80+ spaces at Apache Palms. Apache has a limited number of pull thru spots, and even those can be tight if you have a triple slide out RV.

After four months my wife and I got our Bay Hill back from the repair facility that performed "major surgery" on our unit's slide-out motors and wiring. Before heading to Arizona, however, we'll give it a short trial run to make certain all systems are functioning normally. Hopefully your Bay Hill has given you fewer headaches than ours.

Ken
Ken we have a 2014 BayHill 379FL we bought it brand new and we have had so many problems with it. Now that Evergreen the manufacture on the Bay Hill is filed chapter 11 and out of business now I'm not sure how to get things fixed. Everybody and the dealer is saying to trade it in but I would lose way to much money.

We just took a trip to Disney World, the camp ground in Disney was great.
Things was going great and then a storm came along and the window before the back door, the little round thing that push and pull the window in and out came of the track when going down the road so rain was coming in. I got that kind of fixed as I thought but on the was back home I would keep checking when we would stop and it just keeps coming off.
Then those tires that they put on these units are horrible and so we had a flat. Got all new tires now.
This unit has been back to the manufacture twice as the cap was pulling away from the unit but they finally got Lippet in, they are the ones that make the frame and got that fixed. For what we was told is that the screw and bolts that they use was way to small and was just popping off.
Then the person that I way dealing with at the BayHill manufacture called me to tell me that we had until noon to get the unit off the lot before the paddle locked the gates because the company was closing there door.
What a mess that was as we was in New Hampshire at the tome and the unit was in Indiana there was no way I could make it and even if I was home which is Texas I could not still make it.
We called our dealer and they found someone to pick it up but buy then they had 45 mins. Thank god they where around the corner and got it out of there.
So from the beginning this unit has been a nightmare , from window blowing out which they had a recall on to the cap pulling away and that is not all the other stuff that we had to get them to fix. And believe me it has been a fight with them all the way. I finally called and wrote to the Eco of the company and then things started to get done.

But now that the tire blow out it tore out the underbelly material. I wonder is there any better way to fix that so it won't keep tearing away when the tire blow out. This is the 3rd time that the fabric stuff has had to be fixed. Once from water and twice from flats.

I'm hoping after all the fixing that has been done and what is going to be done now that we mite finally have our new 5th wheel.
__________________

__________________
jdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #703
Senior Member
 
Evergreen Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 111
Bayhill woes

I hear you about losing too much money on a unit that's only a couple of years old. Hopefully you took out an extended warranty when you bought the trailer since most of the components would be covered by the warranty company after the Bayhill's one year warranty expired. Your trailer has (now "had" in the past tense since Evergreen went out of business) a three year structural warranty that should have covered the cap and underbelly. And, like you, we replaced the Chinese tires with Goodyear ST tires.

In September 2015, by 2013 Bayhill 320RS developed a split in the fiberglass above the entry door. When I got home from a Canadian trip--a trip where the kitchen slide-out twisted on its track and jammed--I contacted a local RV service provider that I had a lot of confidence in. He contacted EverGreen and Lippert and EverGreen covered the cost of the slide out parts for a complete rebuild as well as covering the cost of the fiberglass repair.

The initial dissatisfaction with our Bayhiil had come from questionable quality control from Evergreen as well as dealership that refused to honor the EverGreen warranty. The slide outs have been our largest issues as well as having to replace two fresh water tanks. I won't belabor all the problems we've had but now that those the major and minor problems are hopefully behind us, we are enjoying our 5th wheel. Since September 2015, we have taken several short and long trips and have had no problems at all.

I think you would need an RV specialist to give you accurate advice on your underbelly issue. Again, since this a structural problem an extended warranty would address the problem.

I have thought about simply selling our Bayhill but our tow vehicle is a 2007 3/4 ton GMC diesel rated to pull about 14,500 lbs. That's perfect for our size Bayhill. We've looked extensively at Solitudes, Cardinals, Big Horns, but even their smallest units go over the GVWR of our GMC. Pulling a somewhat larger 5th wheel is one thing; stopping a heavier trailer is another matter altogether. So for the time being, we'll just keep our fingers crossed. We do have a reputable repair facility close by and my 7-year extended warranty still has some mileage left on it.

Ken
__________________
Ken & Lucy
2007 GMC 2500HD long bed Duramax/Allison
2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #704
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Ken we have a 2014 BayHill 379FL we bought it brand new and we have had so many problems with it. Now that Evergreen the manufacture on the Bay Hill is filed chapter 11 and out of business now I'm not sure how to get things fixed. Everybody and the dealer is saying to trade it in but I would lose way to much money.

We just took a trip to Disney World, the camp ground in Disney was great.
Things was going great and then a storm came along and the window before the back door, the little round thing that push and pull the window in and out came of the track when going down the road so rain was coming in. I got that kind of fixed as I thought but on the was back home I would keep checking when we would stop and it just keeps coming off.
Then those tires that they put on these units are horrible and so we had a flat. Got all new tires now.
This unit has been back to the manufacture twice as the cap was pulling away from the unit but they finally got Lippet in, they are the ones that make the frame and got that fixed. For what we was told is that the screw and bolts that they use was way to small and was just popping off.
Then the person that I way dealing with at the BayHill manufacture called me to tell me that we had until noon to get the unit off the lot before the paddle locked the gates because the company was closing there door.
What a mess that was as we was in New Hampshire at the tome and the unit was in Indiana there was no way I could make it and even if I was home which is Texas I could not still make it.
We called our dealer and they found someone to pick it up but buy then they had 45 mins. Thank god they where around the corner and got it out of there.
So from the beginning this unit has been a nightmare , from window blowing out which they had a recall on to the cap pulling away and that is not all the other stuff that we had to get them to fix. And believe me it has been a fight with them all the way. I finally called and wrote to the Eco of the company and then things started to get done.

But now that the tire blow out it tore out the underbelly material. I wonder is there any better way to fix that so it won't keep tearing away when the tire blow out. This is the 3rd time that the fabric stuff has had to be fixed. Once from water and twice from flats.

I'm hoping after all the fixing that has been done and what is going to be done now that we mite finally have our new 5th wheel.
My wife and I can commiserate with you. We bought our Bay Hill in November of 2013 and have had multiple problems with our slides. Recently, the bedroom slide stopped working and it cost $500 to repair. I still believe the Bay Hill is an OK RV for ordinary use but not for people like us who travel in it for two or three months a year. The problem being that we keep opening and closing the slides. We have decided to sell it and look for something that is more durable.

The problem is going be getting fair market value for a 3 year old fifth wheel that was made by a manufacturer that has gone out of business. We probably won't but we are planning some long trips in the coming years and would like a rig that we can depend on.

Good luck to you and I hope you see an improvement in your Bay Hill's performance.
__________________
long trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #705
Senior Member
 
Evergreen Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bonaparte, Iowa
Posts: 409
Contact Lippert on the window crank assembly. They have a website with an 800 number to call for customer service. Welcome to Lippert Customer Service. There are two sizes so you have to figure out which one you need. You drill out the two pop rivets in either side of the turn knob, remove the screw holding the knob on the shaft. Then push it out thru the window frame and the arms will slide out of the track from each end. There is a plastic spacer in the track. Keep it in the track and then install the new one same way you took the old one out. Pop rivet the assembly back into the frame. Easy Peasy.
__________________
Special ordered 2016 Bay Hill 375RE with 17.5 wheels/G114 Goodyears/Hydraulic disc brakes. 2016 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 CC LB dually Hensley BD3 Air Ride Hitch.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #706
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInCA View Post
I hear you about losing too much money on a unit that's only a couple of years old. Hopefully you took out an extended warranty when you bought the trailer since most of the components would be covered by the warranty company after the Bayhill's one year warranty expired. Your trailer has (now "had" in the past tense since Evergreen went out of business) a three year structural warranty that should have covered the cap and underbelly. And, like you, we replaced the Chinese tires with Goodyear ST tires.

In September 2015, by 2013 Bayhill 320RS developed a split in the fiberglass above the entry door. When I got home from a Canadian trip--a trip where the kitchen slide-out twisted on its track and jammed--I contacted a local RV service provider that I had a lot of confidence in. He contacted EverGreen and Lippert and EverGreen covered the cost of the slide out parts for a complete rebuild as well as covering the cost of the fiberglass repair.

The initial dissatisfaction with our Bayhiil had come from questionable quality control from Evergreen as well as dealership that refused to honor the EverGreen warranty. The slide outs have been our largest issues as well as having to replace two fresh water tanks. I won't belabor all the problems we've had but now that those the major and minor problems are hopefully behind us, we are enjoying our 5th wheel. Since September 2015, we have taken several short and long trips and have had no problems at all.

I think you would need an RV specialist to give you accurate advice on your underbelly issue. Again, since this a structural problem an extended warranty would address the problem.

I have thought about simply selling our Bayhill but our tow vehicle is a 2007 3/4 ton GMC diesel rated to pull about 14,500 lbs. That's perfect for our size Bayhill. We've looked extensively at Solitudes, Cardinals, Big Horns, but even their smallest units go over the GVWR of our GMC. Pulling a somewhat larger 5th wheel is one thing; stopping a heavier trailer is another matter altogether. So for the time being, we'll just keep our fingers crossed. We do have a reputable repair facility close by and my 7-year extended warranty still has some mileage left on it.

Ken
Yes, we did buy the extended warranty on the unit. Thank god you did that. We to had a problem with the cap pulling away from the frame. Lippett did finally say it was there problem. All the screws and bolts where snapping off because they used way to small and the wrong kind of screws.
They fixed all that and the frame. The problem was they was to much give I guess you would call it on the front end. They should be a little but there was a lot. It is a wonder that it did not come off going down the road.
I hope that thing will stop braking down and having trouble with the 5th wheel because all in all we love the layout and it pulls great.
We thought of getting rid of it and finding a different one but figure we would have to start all over again with problems. We think that we need to find a RV person that fixes things beside the dealer ship that we got it from as at time we feel like that we are just pushed aside at time but really I have to say on the most part of things they have been taking care of things. Our unit has been in the shop most of the time that we have own it. I'm hoping this will be it
Have you had any problems with the Attwood water heater as in when we take showers it is pee warm and go's to cold, the kitchen sick is doing the same thing.
We are wanting to travel and do some camping. We have been thinking about living in it and sell our house. I'm thinking that we need a home base but not sure. We like to know how other people do it. We do love getting out on the road and seeing different places. Just don't know what to do or how to think about doing the right thing.
Jolene
__________________
jdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #707
Senior Member
 
Evergreen Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 111
Hey Jolene...my advice is to HANG TOUGH! Think back: there was a reason you liked your RV in the first place. Follow your own advice: find a service facility that will not shunt you and your RV off to the side. Consult YELP and look for RV service providers in your area who have positive reviews that do not just involve initial sales. Certainly I don't mind pulling my trailer 70+ miles when a repair has become necessary because I have trust that the job will be done correctly and in a timely manner.

My Bayhill has the Girard tankless water heater. We did have initial issues with alternating hot and cold water showers, but the thoughtful people on this forum provided some tips that resolved any hot-cold issues right away. First, make sure the LPG pressure is adequate coming into the water heater. Mine was set to 11-12 p.s.i. Next, do not fiddle with the cold water. Adjust your thermostat so you've got a comfortable flow using only hot water. And last, if you haven't done so, remove the water flow restrictor in the shower head and/or kitchen faucet. The instructions in the Girard manual specifically recommend the flow restrictor(s) be removed for proper operation. Having followed the steps outlined above, my wife and I have enjoyed luxurious, trouble-free showers.

I have met several RVers who travel extensively in their respective units. A few live full-time and do maintain a home base even if it's only an apartment or condo. Those full timers, of course, have their maintenance issues, however. The full-time RVers I've spoken with and who are satisfied own the following non-motorhome units: Arctic Fox, Lifestyle, Airstream, Hitchhiker and (surprisingly) Cedar Creek.

Final thought, Jolene...while we gave serious consideration to dumping our Bayhill, we have now had several successful short and long trips over the last two years, the longest being a month in Arizona for spring training baseball in March. We have been comfortable in 30-40 degree cold, wet weather in Canada as well as 90+ degree heat in a variety of places (wish we had two air conditioners, however). For the time being, we're hanging onto our RV unless some major structural issue occurs.

Ken
__________________
Ken & Lucy
2007 GMC 2500HD long bed Duramax/Allison
2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #708
Senior Member
 
Evergreen Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bonaparte, Iowa
Posts: 409
Jolene, you evidently have one of those demand water heaters. I have read that a lot of problems of hot cold hot comes from the fact that there is air in the clothes washer hookup if you have not added a clothes washer. This interferes with the water pressure just enough to make the water heater kick on then off. Worth checking into. Just open the valve a tiny bit slowly on both the hot and cold lines.
__________________
Special ordered 2016 Bay Hill 375RE with 17.5 wheels/G114 Goodyears/Hydraulic disc brakes. 2016 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 CC LB dually Hensley BD3 Air Ride Hitch.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #709
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Monee, IL
Posts: 15
Jolene, we have a 379FL and just came back from a 5 day trip where we were having the same problem with hot water heater but here is what I found out:
I read the Atwood manual for Tankless hot water heater and there is a minimum water pressure required for the tank to be continuous (1.0 GPM) and so I open the hot water side of the bathroom sink a to halfway and our showers were constantly hot. The water pressure at the kitchen sink & bath sink is good but shower is not as good so once I figure that out my problem might go away.
__________________
jacksback72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #710
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
I want to thank everyone with there help. My husband and myself are new to this but we are hearing good help from everyone.
It just gets frustrating deal with a dealer that it seems that you know more then they do at times. Don't get me wrong our dealer has been a lot of help on things and most of the problems was not even them it was the manufacturers that build this Bay Hill. Form the framing company to Bay Hill. But I stood my ground with them and told them I didn't care who I step on that I would do what I had to do to get them to fix things like they should. I sure they did not like hearing from me everyday as I was not always nice about it. See my husband worries to much so I take care of things as much as I can. I always try to look for some answers they we set down and talk about it. It just works for us.
I just don't like being put on the back burner to get things fix.

We do have a question? So when we had this flat on our 5th wheel the people that came from our insurance company said that it is one of the worst company they have ever dealt with. Those people was right on that as it took use over an hour because they kept saying that we never called them, as we would keep calling them back. It was a night mare. Finally the Highway Patrol said he would put a call in and see if they could fine someone to help us. See after a hour that this guy came to help , it was about that must time because he had to go back and find a tire because he did not has that size tire. But any way the insurance people that came to help said that they could not tow , they don't do tires and all they could do was work on the underbelly to get it so we could get off to the next exit.
Well ! that was the nightmare on that So just wondering what other people was using for roadside assistance for there 5th wheel.

Like I said we are new to all this and we are wanting to do some traveling but like to have things lined up with out having to all the time when something happens.

Thank you again for all the help that we have been getting as it is really appreciated

Jolene
__________________
jdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #711
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
we have a good dealership to fix problems but they did not let us know about tires so after blow out we put on Hercules G2 235/85r/16 tires which are bigger tires designed for this trailer and I could not pick up the tire it is 14 ply also took the two good tires and made them spares and Jeff the tire dealer said they would get me out of pinch but don't leave them on. Made a mistake on the year it's a 2015 Bayhill which we pull with our new truck a Ford F350 Platinum has a lot of power and we got that size for pulling the mountains. Does a great job pulling and gets fair fuel milages 11 MPG but added a 60 gallon fuel tank on it so we did not have to pull into small gas stations. We are learning as we go.
__________________
jdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #712
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arcadia, FL
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Jolene, you evidently have one of those demand water heaters. I have read that a lot of problems of hot cold hot comes from the fact that there is air in the clothes washer hookup if you have not added a clothes washer. This interferes with the water pressure just enough to make the water heater kick on then off. Worth checking into. Just open the valve a tiny bit slowly on both the hot and cold lines.
I have a 2013 Bay Hill that also had an issue with the shower going hot-cold-hot. I solved my problem by replacing the shower head with one that allows a greater flow rate. The park I winter in only supplies water at 40psi which is not enough when using a flow restricted (water saver) shower head. If I turn off the park supplied water and switch over to the water pump it provides a higher pressure which also eliminates the problem.
I hope this helps you and others having the same problem.

Ken
__________________
kschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #713
Senior Member
 
Evergreen Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bonaparte, Iowa
Posts: 409
^^^^^^ I agree. Using the tank and pump generates higher water pressures.
__________________
Special ordered 2016 Bay Hill 375RE with 17.5 wheels/G114 Goodyears/Hydraulic disc brakes. 2016 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 CC LB dually Hensley BD3 Air Ride Hitch.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:59 AM   #714
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 20
i had a blowout on my 2013 Bayhill as I just got back from a 2000 mile trip! It tore the wheel well completely out and cracked the slide out also found out that the strand board on the flood of the slide had water damage and when the tire exploded it took the rotted wood out. If you have the factory Chinese 5 ply tires on you traveler I advise you to change them out to at least a 10 ply or 12 ply tire! The tire pressure needs to be checked each stop! I put 80# in mine after the blowout I checked the others and the pressure was 93-96#! Live and learn! I can see why Evergreen went out of business, great ideas but poor workmanship!
__________________

__________________
Kcinfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
evergreen


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Kcinfl
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.