Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #757

Marine paint

Hey Gordond, I see what you mean by the under slides, any recommendations as to what brand or type of marine paint? I have a newer 2016 and there is L chanel along the edges so I don't see water being able to leech in but that strand board is rediculous. I could see it falling apart down the road from the rollers. So you recommend applying paint to the whole underside of slides? It won't interfere or get stuck to the rollers when sliding in and out? Or would It be better just to screw some thin aluminum (like duct work) over the stand board? Thanks for the input
Justin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #758

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordond View Post
Been a while since I been on here, Reading some posts & in regards to slide floors. I suggest coating them with marine grade paint or at least silicon on the edges . Ours rotted from the under side as someone mentioned.there is not any protection from the rain running down the outside wall & leaching in as said.
Bay hill replaced our floors at no cost at the service center in Middelton In. Along with anything we said was wrong,( all led lights, hydraulic leak on jack ) We were fortunate as when we picked it up we had concerns about no protection on the undersides of floors, that is when they told us they were closing the doors the next day.
We stayed across the street for a couple days to get thing s situated & I met a guy that worked for a few companies & told me they were all the same,they piece work out & quality is not a major concern.I also found out that
Thor has bought out most manufactures.
Not to ramble on.We finally sold our place & full time now since last Fall. Going back to Yuma for the winter,currently in Idaho.
We have no regrets in our BayHill & plan to keep for sometime. I do most all my own maintenance & repairs. If I can help don't hesitate to ask.
As far as tires,my trailer is much lighter than most and I opted for LT. No problems.
Gordon
What is the type of marine coating you used, if you did paint yours. We understood that the slide sides were fiberglass, but apparently they may just be fiberglass painted, if at all??
We are wondering if we can put a bridge grade polyurethane on the slides all the way around. Acrolon 218 from Sherwin williams is what we are considering.?? Any thoughts if anyone has coated theirs?
We are wondering if anyone has done this if they primed them first?

Old 08-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #759

Evergreen Owners Club
Insulation, should we or should we not?

We currently are re-strapping our tanks and noticed this Underbelly board is fairly flimsy. There was nothing between the underbelly board and the tanks or flooring.
:questions:
We have tank heaters, but we are wondering since this board is down would it be in our best interest to insulate at this time? Or has anyone added anything down here?? We are hoping to never have to take this off again--
We mainly are in the Gulf Coast states and want to keep as much AC in as possible.
I have put covers inside my floor vents to keep the cool from seeping out.
Again we are trying to be proactive after facing so many issues within our first 50 days. We are hoping to address as much as we can and only face minor issues in the future.

We are also considering covering our slide sides and bottom and tops with a industrial grade Acrolon Polyurethane from Sherwin Williams-- as we full time and will be in one location long enough for it to cure- and give us at 30 years of protection..... Any thoughts here are appreciated. Does anyone know what coating currently is on the slide sides and under the slides?? We need to know the material we are applying this to before we begin this project. Thanks
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 PM   #760

Evergreen Owners Club
We are finally set up for a couple months, so I need to adjust & realign our slides as when they put new floors in they did a poor job of properly adjusting them to seal properly.After that I am going to coat the undersides of the slides as I will have lots of time for coating to cure.I am going to research some more of what to use,I did put a 1" seam of silicone on the edges before we left Indiana.
I personally would not do the sides or the roof section if that is what you had in mind.Just keep an eye on all the seams for cracks that happen on any coach & treat th rubber to protect from sun.
I Inspect & touch up any cracks at least twice a year,don't want any moisture getting in. Don,t think I would put metal on the under sides,just another place for moisture to get between & not dry out.The bedroom slide is gel coated on underside & is fine.Thats why I am checking out a marine grade paint,the bridge paint you mentioned would probably be great & I will check that out ,Thanks for the tip! When we were living in Fl. I put a 50 amp plug in& left our AC on all the time just to keep temp & humidity in check as that really is rough on everything inside. Bumped our electric about $60.00 a month.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #761

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp123 View Post
Hey Gordond, I see what you mean by the under slides, any recommendations as to what brand or type of marine paint? I have a newer 2016 and there is L chanel along the edges so I don't see water being able to leech in but that strand board is rediculous. I could see it falling apart down the road from the rollers. So you recommend applying paint to the whole underside of slides? It won't interfere or get stuck to the rollers when sliding in and out? Or would It be better just to screw some thin aluminum (like duct work) over the stand board? Thanks for the input
Justin
I have the Bay Hill 375 RE 2016. I have already noticed the rollers have worn thru to the wood underneath. I am very seriously contemplating rolling on that armor all pickup box urethane coating. To keep it from texturing, I am going to place wax paper on the coating after I have rolled it and smooth it by rolling again with a harder roller. I don't understand why 4 of my slides have this crap hard paper covering on the bottom and one has a nice slick fiberglass or similar surface on the bottom. If I am ever able to afford to trade I will be looking at the underneath of all slides. I will pick that darn trailer apart with a fine toothed comb!!
Old 08-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #762

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wr RVing it View Post
We currently are re-strapping our tanks and noticed this Underbelly board is fairly flimsy. There was nothing between the underbelly board and the tanks or flooring.
:questions:
We have tank heaters, but we are wondering since this board is down would it be in our best interest to insulate at this time? Or has anyone added anything down here?? We are hoping to never have to take this off again--
We mainly are in the Gulf Coast states and want to keep as much AC in as possible.
I have put covers inside my floor vents to keep the cool from seeping out.
Again we are trying to be proactive after facing so many issues within our first 50 days. We are hoping to address as much as we can and only face minor issues in the future.

We are also considering covering our slide sides and bottom and tops with a industrial grade Acrolon Polyurethane from Sherwin Williams-- as we full time and will be in one location long enough for it to cure- and give us at 30 years of protection..... Any thoughts here are appreciated. Does anyone know what coating currently is on the slide sides and under the slides?? We need to know the material we are applying this to before we begin this project. Thanks
My slide sides are white gelcoat but the bottoms of all except the bedslide are the crappy hard paper junk and the kitchen slide being so heavy has already worn through on the two middle rollers. The bedslide seems to be of something similar to white gelcoat.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #763

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordond View Post
We are finally set up for a couple months, so I need to adjust & realign our slides as when they put new floors in they did a poor job of properly adjusting them to seal properly.After that I am going to coat the undersides of the slides as I will have lots of time for coating to cure.I am going to research some more of what to use,I did put a 1" seam of silicone on the edges before we left Indiana.
I personally would not do the sides or the roof section if that is what you had in mind.Just keep an eye on all the seams for cracks that happen on any coach & treat th rubber to protect from sun.
I Inspect & touch up any cracks at least twice a year,don't want any moisture getting in. Don,t think I would put metal on the under sides,just another place for moisture to get between & not dry out.The bedroom slide is gel coated on underside & is fine.Thats why I am checking out a marine grade paint,the bridge paint you mentioned would probably be great & I will check that out ,Thanks for the tip! When we were living in Fl. I put a 50 amp plug in& left our AC on all the time just to keep temp & humidity in check as that really is rough on everything inside. Bumped our electric about $60.00 a month.
Can you tell me how one goes about readjusting the slides? I think my kitchen slide could stand it. TIA
Old 08-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #764

Evergreen Owners Club
I googled( Lippert Slide out adjustment), came up on u- tube. My curb side is worn from rollers only after 3 months.so I,m going to try & adjust it up a little higher.I took some measurements & they are off a little.
Bed liner sounds like a good idea to.very durable!
Old 08-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #765

Bayhill 340RK underbelly

We have not had problems with the thickness of the belly material. There is no insulation above ours either. One thing I have found is that the Bayhill assembly people have over tightened the screws that hold the belly pan up and broken the heads off.
When I replace these screws I have begun to use a 1.25 inch fender washer to spread out the support for the belly material. Seems to have worked since none of the screws with washers have pulled through.
I am thinking about painting the slideout bottoms also. Mine have L-brackets covering the edges but are not sealed on the bottom. So far we are not having any wear issues except where Bayhill left a screw head sticking up under the dinette slide which our dealer repaired under warranty.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #766

Bayhill water heater help

Ok we own a 2014 Bayhill 340RK and when we did our pdi we were told that the hot water cannot run on both electric and propane at the same time for quick recovery. In our other 4 Fivers we were able to run on electric and if needed we could leave the switch to electric on but could turn the propane on if say taking a shower. Is this possible to do with the evergreen rv's?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #767

Evergreen Owners Club
Yes, you can use both the electric and lp on the water heater. Just make sure that the electric switch is in the on position on the water heater too.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #768

Evergreen Owners Club
I am pretty sure no brand has any insulation above the corrugated plastic belly. I also had several screws twisted off. They look like they are holding until you try to turn to make sure they are tight and then they fall out. I also had several twisted off on the angle trim under the 5th wheel cutout.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:34 AM   #769

Hi all! I noticed today that our big slide that holds the love seat and dinette is sagging down the middle... long ways. So now the chairs on each side of the table are slightly leaning toward one another. Also, on the same slide the metal rod that holds the plastic siding/ skirting at the bottom of the slide out has snapped in half causing that portion to not be stable while driving. Anyone else have these issues? Talking it in to our dealer for repair of the rod.. but a bit alarmed about the sagging large slide out!!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #770

Evergreen Owners Club
2016 375RE, just when you think the worst is over

We noticed the broken and snapped off screws also.
In addition, our little window by the sofa, frameless and not on a slide, started leaking ..
Any one know how to stop this...??
Due to rain here in PCB, my husband put some tape on it...silver taped the entire top and sides....

Our hinged door will not close right. It is so difficult and we have to keep slamming it to get it to catch...is there an adjustment for this?

As always we appreciate your help and feedback

Tags
evergreen