Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #813

Evergreen Owners Club
Goodbye to my Bay Hill

Hi Trail Master...

The situation you describe should be easy to check. It will probably take two people, however, and could be a bit messy.

Open the sewer drain cover under your Bay Hill. Pull the gray water valve lever under the RV to the open position. Take a five gallon water container and pour clean water into the kitchen sink and see if water immediately flows out of the outside drain. Repeat the procedure for the bathroom sink and, finally, for the shower. If water is discharged each time, then it is flowing through one tank.

If no water appears outside at each step, then it is being collected in the other gray water tank.

As Evergeen reached the end its run as an RV manufacturer, I'm sure a lot of corner-cutting occurred, and the bypass situation you described could very well have an example of this. If you read back through this forum, you'll discover water connection issues with the washer hookup and discharge lines, lines that seemingly went nowhere as well as other water related problems.
My Bay Hill ownership comes to an end in two days. After a complete rebuild of the kitchen slide out mechanism 10 months ago, the unit failed again last week on our 2013 Bay Hill 320RS. Lippert, the manufacturer of the slide components, seemed well aware of the Bay Hill kitchen slide out issues on Evergreen produced units. According to Lippert and the repair dealership that actually fixed the kitchen slide out on four other occasions, the Bay Hill(s) had a serious design flaw in the manufacture of the 5th wheel. The kitchen slide was much too heavy for the system components used to move it in and out.

Having endured a water tank that simply fell out while driving, an auto leveling system that failed to work in the Sonoran Desert, and numerous slide out issues, we have traded our Bay Hill in on a 2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition.

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #814

Trailmaster

You have 4 tanks on 379fl. The one you are talking about is for the washer dryer hookup. The pull lever for this is right next to the discharge spout. Then you have a black tank and shower gray tank valves in the locked access door, and finally the kitchen gray tank which has lever next to the discharge spout towards the front of the 5er. Hope this helps.
Justin
Jrp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #815

Trail master

To answer your question about how much propane, you have 3 tanks. The 2 that pull out on the drivers side will have a gauge, with propane turned on it will show green or white (can't remember) if full and slowly turn to red when empty. You also have the 3rd tank on drivers side. What I do is just keep the 3rd tank on passenger side turned off so when the 2 tanks on driver side go out I can then turn on 3rd tank and go fill the two tanks soon after. This works well If you don't want to be checking the gauge all the time and if you aren't staying in the 5er in freezing weather.
Cheers
Justin
Jrp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Master View Post
Still kinda new to RV life so I have a questions that I am sure others have solved. How do you know how much propane you have left in your tanks?
That's a good question for someone kinda new. Generally speaking you should have more then one tank with the regulator? having the ability to automatically switch from an empty tank to the full tank. There should be some kind of visible indicator to let you know you have an empty tank. Yes, you will have to check occasionally to see if you have an empty tank so you can get it filled before the spare tank goes empty.
kschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #817

Evergreen Owners Club
Mine didn't come with them, I bought 3 propane gauges at Walmart for around $13 a piece.
powermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #818

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermaker View Post
Mine didn't come with them, I bought 3 propane gauges at Walmart for around $13 a piece.
I'd be careful with those gauges, I had one on the single tank and it ended up causing a leak in the system at the switchover regulator and I ended up having to replace it. I think it caused false reading of pressure that caused it to fail. YMMV
Ken, Arcadia Florida
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #819

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschneider View Post
I'd be careful with those gauges, I had one on the single tank and it ended up causing a leak in the system at the switchover regulator and I ended up having to replace it. I think it caused false reading of pressure that caused it to fail. YMMV
Ken, Arcadia Florida
I doubt the gauge caused your leak. I have had a similar gauge on my bbq grill at home for 4 years and it will keep the reading and has not leaked. I am thinking of adding one to my third tank.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #820

Texas Boomers Club
Everyone I know that had a propane gauge had a leak. Beware!
Old 09-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #821

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Everyone I know that had a propane gauge had a leak. Beware!
Easy to check with soapy water. Same as all the certified professional installers do it.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #822

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInCA View Post
Hi Trail Master...

The situation you describe should be easy to check. It will probably take two people, however, and could be a bit messy.

Open the sewer drain cover under your Bay Hill. Pull the gray water valve lever under the RV to the open position. Take a five gallon water container and pour clean water into the kitchen sink and see if water immediately flows out of the outside drain. Repeat the procedure for the bathroom sink and, finally, for the shower. If water is discharged each time, then it is flowing through one tank.

If no water appears outside at each step, then it is being collected in the other gray water tank.

As Evergeen reached the end its run as an RV manufacturer, I'm sure a lot of corner-cutting occurred, and the bypass situation you described could very well have an example of this. If you read back through this forum, you'll discover water connection issues with the washer hookup and discharge lines, lines that seemingly went nowhere as well as other water related problems.
My Bay Hill ownership comes to an end in two days. After a complete rebuild of the kitchen slide out mechanism 10 months ago, the unit failed again last week on our 2013 Bay Hill 320RS. Lippert, the manufacturer of the slide components, seemed well aware of the Bay Hill kitchen slide out issues on Evergreen produced units. According to Lippert and the repair dealership that actually fixed the kitchen slide out on four other occasions, the Bay Hill(s) had a serious design flaw in the manufacture of the 5th wheel. The kitchen slide was much too heavy for the system components used to move it in and out.

Having endured a water tank that simply fell out while driving, an auto leveling system that failed to work in the Sonoran Desert, and numerous slide out issues, we have traded our Bay Hill in on a 2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition.

Ken
Ken, How did you come out with the trade. Do you think you were given a fair value on your trade in? Thx, Rod
Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #823

Evergreen Owners Club
Trade in on the Cedar Creek

Hey Rod...

I was offered $32.5K on the Cedar Creek and on a Grand Design Solitude. My wife really liked the Solitude, but the overall weight of 16,000 GCWR was over the tow limit of my 3/4 ton GMC diesel. The Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition was within my tow limit. I'll tow it with loaded weight tomorrow for the first time. I have confidence all will go well.

To answer your question: I was very happy with what I was offered for the Bay Hill, especially since Evergreen is now a defunct company. I bought the RV at Camping World and they said they'd take care of the malfunctioning slide out.

Maybe your Bayhill's kitchen slide has a different configuration than my 2013 model. Both Lippert and the repair facility I used to repair the slide out on several occasions said Evergreen's design on the kitchen slide out was significantly flawed. The kitchen slide was too heavy for the mechanical components Evergreen used.

The slides on the Cedar Creek are hydraulic and move smoothly and very quietly.

My wife and I are anxious to give it a shake-down trial in the upcoming days. From what we can tell in loading it, the fit and finish feel very solid, and, so far, everything is working very well. My only concern is that the Jensen living room television only has one HDMI input. It's setup for a cable tv hookup, but I removed that and hooked my Dish tailgater connection in its place. Happily, all the input jacks on the coach's exterior work, unlike the Bayhill where none of them worked and none were labeled.

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Easy to check with soapy water. Same as all the certified professional installers do it.
The leak was caused in the regulator not at the point of where the gauge was attached to the tank. The pressure gauge caused something in the regulator to fail creating the leak. When the service tech came out to diagnose the problem he replaced the regulator but the gauge was still on the spare tank and caused the regulator to start leaking again. I removed the pressure gauge from the spare tank and the leak at the regulator stopped. I guess the gauge would work fine in a single take setup such as a barbecue grill but I don't have one to test with.
Ken
Arcadia, Florida
Old 09-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #825

kshneider,
We had the same problem with our Alfa Gold built by Evergreen. This has been a problem from the start and apparently still is. The tanks were plumbed wrong at factory. A member on the forum sent me a diagram of the correction and my husband fixed ours after two incidents. Please read post # 298, 299, and 300 on this Evergreen link. Your problem may not be solved. I can't find the diagram that was emailed to me by a member but still looking.

JoAnn
On the go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #826

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the go View Post
kshneider,
We had the same problem with our Alfa Gold built by Evergreen. This has been a problem from the start and apparently still is. The tanks were plumbed wrong at factory. A member on the forum sent me a diagram of the correction and my husband fixed ours after two incidents. Please read post # 298, 299, and 300 on this Evergreen link. Your problem may not be solved. I can't find the diagram that was emailed to me by a member but still looking.

JoAnn
When the tech replaced the regulator he also changed the way it was plummed saying he didn't think it was right. So far after much use I can confirm that I have not had more leaks.
Ken - Arcadia, Florida.

Tags
evergreen