Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInCA View Post

I would check YELP reviews and Better Business Bureau information on Best RV in Turlock. I think you'll readily see that this is an RV dealership you would want to avoid like the bubonic plague. YELP reviews paint a dismally consistent picture: people may get a satisfactory deal on an RV purchase; however, after-sale warranty service will be non-existent. The ownership's cantankerous attitude toward its customers would suggest a better overall buying experience could be had elsewhere. In addition, Best does very little in pre-delivery inspection of an RV to make sure when the customer takes his/her new RV purchase off the premises, one or more catastrophies won't occur.

I owned a Cardinal 31LE for seven years prior to buying an Evergreen Bay Hill. Both trailers were pulled by my 2007 GMC long bed diesel with an Allison transmission. For the most part, the Cardinal performed very well. If my wife and I had RVing issues, it was almost always related to water pipe leakage. Other major components like the slide-outs and heater/AC worked flawlessly.

Also, check the GVWR for your truck. Newer Cardinals appear to be heavier than the one I bought in 2007. If you're pulling with a 3/4 ton truck make sure that it'll have enough muscle to pull and safely stop your RV.

Best of luck...Ken
The Cardinal has always been on our list, unfortunately Best RV is the only dealer N Ca and I believe we would be sorry, especially because no "local" dealers will do warranty work unless you buy from them, we have already been down that road. Back to the list.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #660

I found a Cardinal dealer about 100 miles from home, Forest River did not list it. Looked at customer reviews of the dealership, some very happy, some ok and some not so happy, all in all more positive so we will be going down there soon.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 AM   #661

379fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Master View Post
We have had our 379FL for just over a year now. There were several problems initially however, the dealer (quality RV MN) has become very responsive on getting things fixed.

We have been pulling this camper with our GMC 2500 duramax without a lot of problems. Mileage is not great, around 10 at 65 MPH. Although it always seems like when we are towing the wind is in our faces and we are going uphill both ways. We had a problem with overheating on one trip but my service guys said that the radiator was dirty on the outsice and he took things apart to perform a thorough cleaning of the outside of the cooling fins etc and all seems to be good now.

My wife and I love having the living room in the front and the kitchen midship. So far we really like our camper, are planning a major trip 10 day to Colorado over memorial day time to attend a concert and get some away from work time. We want to thank all of you for the input last year when we had some issues with our camper. The advice we recieved here was key in resolving our problems.

Thanks again
Tim Wegner

Hi Trail Master, thanks for your update. I figured 10 mpg would be about right pulling the 379fl. I think we are going to go with the 379fl as well, it will be the newer 2016 design, we love the living room and overall set up. Can you tell me what the problems were that you had off the start? I am composing a long list of issues I have gotten from reading all of these posts. We will be going to stay in the 5er in a couple weeks, we are very excited, nervous, and scared all at the same time. Thanks much!
Justin
Jrp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #662

Evergreen Owners Club
Bay Hill 340RK Laundry

We have owned our 340rk for 2 years now, very pleased overall, with the unit. We are about to embark on a new chapter in our lives now and hit the road full timing. We had issues with the tankless hot water heater, however we have over came these by trail and error. My main concern now is there is no water at our washer hookup, its plumbed with a faucet for hot and cold but they are not live, any suggestion?
Rogerwaggoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #663

Evergreen Owners Club
Washer / Dryer Hookup

Roger...You might want to take a look at Page 3 of this forum. AndrewRehder posted a comment and photo that might be relevant to your situation.

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #664

Evergreen Owners Club
Our 2014 340RK is not connected either just discovered this after 2 years, as we are planning on full timing now.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #665

Evergreen Owners Club
We had the same problem with our 340RK, replaced the regulator on the single tank 3 times before I convinced the dealer the lines where plumbed wrong, why wasn't this a recall issue?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:19 AM   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerwaggoer View Post
We have owned our 340rk for 2 years now, very pleased overall, with the unit. We are about to embark on a new chapter in our lives now and hit the road full timing. We had issues with the tankless hot water heater, however we have over came these by trail and error. My main concern now is there is no water at our washer hookup, its plumbed with a faucet for hot and cold but they are not live, any suggestion?

Yeah sounds like the washer dryer hook ups aren't connected so was recommended having dealer hooking them up, unless your handy enough to do it yourself. Let me know what you end up having to do, we are going to go stay in our 379fl next Monday for a night and do a rigorous shakedown before purchase. I will make sure they have ours hooked up as we will be full timing in it and might buy a stack-able unit. I can ask them next week how it gets hooked up if you want and post what I find out.
Justin
Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #667

Washer water lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerwaggoer View Post
You will need to plumb the lines yourself. I realized that shortly after I purchased my 2014 Bayhill 340RK. The dummy lines end in the front compartment. The dealer told me they were winter drain lines for the unit. lol!
Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #668

I have a Cardinal and like most 5 th wheels you will have issues mine were minor and overall l have been very happy with it. Great customer support and we have a great club go to Cardinal rv club and their are very knowledgable folks that can answer any question you may have about the brand.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 AM   #669

DRW vs SRW

Hi guys, just looking for some advice here... I will be buying a truck soon for towing the 2016 Bay Hill 379fl, I will be getting a GMC 3500 diesel but I am not sure about SRW or DRW? I know DRW will have more stabilization and if (god forbid) we ever had a blow out there is another tire there, but any of you towing with SRW?? The 379fl is a beast so although I would rather the SRW, in the back of my mind I feel like DRW is the way to go. Please let me know if you have any comments or recommendations. Thanks much!
Justin

P.S. we will be pulling the 5th wheel every 3 months and the distance will be less than 400 miles at a time, if that matters.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #670

I'm towing with the 3500hd srw 1 ton. My fifth wheel is a lifestyle 35 foot - similar to yours, slightly shorter but a heavy trailer. The truck pulls it like nothing. Very easy to tow. Plenty of power and the exhaust brake is amazing. Check the weight of your trailer and talk to a knowledgeable truck dealer. I bought mine from a dealer that specializes in towing and they really set us up nicely.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #671

Leasing vs Buying

Thank you for the reply Faithbowls! I was also wondering if you or anyone else has leased a 1 ton before? It seems like the best way to go in my eyes, cheaper monthly payment, maintenance included... has anyone had issues with putting 5th wheel hitches on leased 1 tons? I seems silly to me that they wouldn't let you.. what else is a 1 ton for lol?
Thanks in advance!
Justin
Old 04-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #672

Leasing is not the way to go unless you don't plan on going far. Leased a car once never again..Not much maint involved with new trucks, mainly changing fluids. JMHO
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen