Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Everything blinks when I apply the brake

2005 Fleetwood 36'. I added two additional tail light to the back of the trailer, mounted up high so my rig will be more visible, being the original tail lights are low and some what block by the wheels from the bicycles on the bike rack.
The 7 pin conector has turn signal and brake combined. At the rear of the trailer is a converter seperating the two with a built in blinker. (I can hear and feel in clicking. It also buzzez when the brake is applyed.)
I have tried tapping in front of this converter. I've tapped onto the back side of this converter with an addition converter returning back to the original turn signal/brake combined. I added a second pair of tail light just to seperate the turn signal and brake light, just like the manufacture tail lights are set up. No matter how I wire this, I keep getting the same result.
Running lights, turn signals, brake lights all work fine untill I apply the brake with a turn signal on, then every thing blinks.
2 additional bits of info: The 2 sets of lights I added are LED, with 3 wires and supposed to be set up for running lights and turn signal/brake combined.
Last year I experiance a blow out which tore up wires in the fender well, blowing fuses when all the wires got chewed. All that damage has since been repaired and fuses replaced.
Sorry this post is so long. So is the converter bad? Is the fact that I'm using LED lights the problem? Is it something else I'm missing? Should I eliminate that converter all together and use a heavy duty blinker in the truck? Please help.

RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I think the first thing I'd do would do is to run a ground wire from the truck chassis to the frame of the trailer. Jumper cables work fine for this = make sure they are into the metal. Test everything again. If there's still the same problem = run a long wire from the jumper cable to the rear lights & connect into the ground system. A bad or frayed ground wire on a trailer will drive you batty or to drink or smack the pup. Your're depending on maybe one small sheet metal screw to ground the whole system & that many lights will feed back into the other lights.
safe travels...

JOE.. LEO(ret.)-active USCGAUX-
ck. our website:www.overmountainsams.com
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Thank you Skip Wil for your sugestion. Problem solved, the converter was bad. Who ever checks their blinkers with someone applying the brake. Well I do now. I was able to just bypass the converter, and all the lights function as they should.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, they can be as important as the original question at times.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote