Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Lifestyle I saw was at Ron Hoover in Houston.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Off Topic:
The current Airstream is not the quality of the Airstream of old. So far I am not impressed with Thor products.

I have looked at the new Lifestyle and then a Heartland and a Redwood. They have lots of glitz, but do not have the solid feel of the Lifestyle.

Ken
I have looked at the Lifestyle. Very well built, very impressed with the inside and outside fit and finish, encluding exterior painting. I have talked with one of the reps and also the factory, on many occasions with many questions. Not once have they tryed to bs me. Can't say the same for some others.
As a previous redwood owner, I would never never ever own another thor product.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz View Post
As a previous redwood owner, I would never never ever own another Thor product.
And yet they keep getting people to buy them......

I would love to have a Lifestyle, but not at the new prices. I'll water 3 or 4 years and find a nice used one for a huge savings. Until them, the Cameo will do fine.

Ken
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #32

I stopped in Chunute Kansas (the old Nuwa factory) and looked at Lifestyle, DRV Mobile Suits and left over Nuwa's. All seemed solid. But the interiors were all too dark.

Excel is the only 5er in this group that I have not seen in person. Ugh - the closest is 6 hours away. I want to see an Excel with the lite color hickory wood interior.

I will go the the Harrisburg RV show this fall and also the Tampa show in January. Hope an Excel will be there.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #33
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I stopped in Chunute Kansas (the old Nuwa factory) and looked at Lifestyle, DRV Mobile Suits and left over Nuwa's. All seemed solid. But the interiors were all too dark.

Excel is the only 5er in this group that I have not seen in person. Ugh - the closest is 6 hours away. I want to see an Excel with the lite color hickory wood interior.

I will go the the Harrisburg RV show this fall and also the Tampa show in January. Hope an Excel will be there.
Most fifth wheels have a lot of wood cabinets in them and is one of the first things you notice. We personally don't care for darker woods as we think it makes the space seem smaller. I think the hickory in our Excel has no stain, just a poly coat of some kind. We think the color adds to the spacious feel. Dark colors seem to be the style in homes and the rv's follow suit. Just not to our liking.

Of course, cabinet color was a factor but was not the top reason we choose our Winslow. The main one was our previous experience in owning 2 of them. We've not been disappointed in our first year of ownership.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #34

We recently used our 2-week annual vacation to tour the Excel, New Horizons, and Space Craft plants, and also visited NuWa in Chanute, KS. I agree with tuffr2 - we don't like the dark wood many are using.
NuWa Champagne and Discover America - wished they hadn't stopped manufacturing them, as they are really good rigs and NuWa is a good company to work with.
DRV - no floor plan we like, and most of their current floor plans don't allow the use of the toilet with the slides in - not good.
Lifestyle - not impressed at all. I would rank them with the middle-of-the-road pack.
Excel - good quality rigs and from what I've read, heard and experienced, Peterson Industries is another good company to work with. And they will do some customization work for you.
New Horizons - high quality rigs - but they are a little too heavy and too tall at over 13 feet.
Space Craft - you can custom order the floor plan you want. Very high quality.
Appears to be a good company to work with.

Jim
Old 07-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #35

Spacecraft will be as heavy or heavier than a New Horizons. A NH is 13' 2" at the front AC.

New Horizons and Spacecraft are both custom units....any floor plan and amenities you want. NH is priced a little higher than SC but has more amenities. Both are very nice coaches.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #36

I wonder what a used (say 2009 or 2010) SC or NH would cost. I googled just to see but seems there are not any clear cut prices for used units.

Moving up to a DRV, Lifestyle, or Excel is probably where we will end up. I really do not know much about SC or NH other than they are the top of the top 5ers.

I probably do not have enough truck for a SC or NH. (2012 F-450). These units would probably pull better behind a sport chassis or a tractor truck.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I wonder what a used (say 2009 or 2010) SC or NH would cost. I googled just to see but seems there are not any clear cut prices for used units.

Moving up to a DRV, Lifestyle, or Excel is probably where we will end up. I really do not know much about SC or NH other than they are the top of the top 5ers.

I probably do not have enough truck for a SC or NH. (2012 F-450). These units would probably pull better behind a sport chassis or a tractor truck.
Jack Mayer can probably answer that question in regards to NH, he's pretty "plugged in" on their products. The upscale units and the "good units" (the manufacturers and models that demonstrated quality in the past, even though they might be out of business) will probably be older than what you quote. Unless there is a calamity or a "special circumstance" folks have no reason to get rid of them or trade them in. But if you keep a sharp eye those deals are out there. Most recently one of my clients literally "stole this SC" for $20K.

It was a 47 footer (with a second twin bedroom in the rear) 10 years old in pristine condition. He did have us outfit an HDT to pull it. Part of the reason it was sold, the two older folks you see in the picture (the buyer is squatting) were terrified to pull it with their pickup.

hjs
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #38

All Excels are great units the w/d location would not work for us. The bedroom is not a good location.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #39

two older folks were terrified to pull it with their pickup....as well they should have been...did they seriously consider it ?

"I probably do not have enough truck for a SC or NH"...that could apply to DRV as well, my 36TK3 was just shy of 16K pounds right off the lot, after adding a W/D and our "stuff", we are around 19K...Altho' I did start out with a 3500 LDT, it didn't take long to come to my conclusion that I had too much weight to stop or slow safely.

Buying a quality, lightly used unit can make good sense....most of the "punch list" issues should have been found and rectified, and the worst of the financial depreciation will have been absorbed by the previous owner.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #40

I went with the F-450 over the F-350 because it has larger brakes. Basically 15" vs 14" on the F-350. I like the way my F-450 stops but then again I am not towing a DRV.

A few months ago Trailer Life Mag featured a NH. They listed a combined price of the NH plus a F-450. That implied a F-450 would be enough truck unless it was a bogus way to keep the price down.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #41

Just for info purposes--I have towed my MS for over 35000 miles. It weighs 16500-17500 depending on how I load it. Went to Alaska last year. My 2009 F450 got 135000miles on front brakes, 140000 on rears. Now at 149600 on 2nd set tires. So, I don't think it is too much trailer for the truck. The '13 450s are within 500 GVW of mine at 14000, but the brakes have less swept area.
Dodge and GM have also made many improvement in their tow capabilities. Unfortunately, they all now have DPFs and use DEF to keep emissions down.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone View Post
two older folks were terrified to pull it with their pickup....as well they should have been...did they seriously consider it ?

Regards
Gemstone
They mostly used it in a "stationary mode", tow it to the nearest campground and leave it there for long duration and use the rear bedroom (two bunks beds) for visiting grandchildren.

How "terrified they were"? The fellow that bought it wanted it sooner before we finished his HDT conversion, his place was 150 miles from where the rig was. They wouldn't tow it under any circumstances even that short distance.
Sometimes a pickup is just a pickup, you can put a fancy dress and lipstick on a pig but underneath it it's still a pig. I had one of those.

The only reason I was able to pull that 40 tooter with it, because the 40 footer had three axles and therefore 6 brakes, the brakes were not electric but hydraulic, they were not controlled by a cheap brake controller but by a vacuum over hydraulics system made by BluDot (check it out, they still make those).

The fifth didn't need no stinkn' pickup brakes it would stop itself AND THE TRUCK.
But when this system developed a hiccup it was a death trap, it took 1/4 mile to stop the pair down from 60.

hjs