Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
We also had a water intrusion problem but it was on the header over the living room slide where the slope goes horizontal going aft.The first we noticed it was when the gutter pulled loose. When I got up there and looked, I found a 1/8" to 1/4" horizontal gap where the bottom of the top fiberglass and the top of the wall fiberglass meet. When I tried to replace the screws, I couldn't find anything to screw in to. I pulled the inside paneling and found the header completely gone where the 2x6 header and the 2x2 frame for the slope meet. There was no evidence of sealant to fill the gap. A trip to SC and $2300.00 later it was fixed. Now I wonder about the other side. Poor maintenance...probably. Poor workmanship...maybe. Poor design...definitely. I love my Excel but have become really disenchanted & wonder what is next.

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
Excel Owners Club

What's used behind this gutter extrusion, foam tape or butal tape?

Bob and Sharon Steele

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
Excel Owners Club

We are back to using butyl behind EVERYTHING. Some time in the past, someone got us onto foam tape. I have no idea how or exactly when this happened but I'm now right in the middle of the entire build process and take full responsibility to any issues that are currently leaving our facility.

ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
Excel Owners Club
Bryan..If you are still following this thread, I have a few more questions.
1. Why is it necessary to have a splice behind the gutter extrusion? Wouldn't it be better to run the outer skin all the way to the top instead of splicing it?
2. You also said that the wall does not rest on the floor, but instead on the frame. Isn't the frame, and it's outriggers, directly under the floor? If so, I don't understand how can the wall attach to the frame without first being attached to the floor.
3. Are the walls built the same on all three Excel models?
4. What kind of caulking do you recomend using to seal the top of the gutter extrusion?
5. Thank You!!
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #19
Excel Owners Club

1. The splice is necessary because we are buying the fiberglass as wide as possible and still be able to transport by semi from Elkhart, IN to Kansas.

2. The wall runs by the floor. The floor sits inside the walls. Then the wall goes down to the bottom of the main frame where there are outriggers supporting angle iron in some areas and belly pans in other areas.

3. Yes, the walls are the same on all models.

4. If you have a limited, then a high quality silicon should be used for maintenance. Except where the caulking would touch rubber roof. Silicon won't stick to rubber roof. You must a non self leveling dicor caulk in those areas. Most good dealers carry it. If you can't get it from them, then we will be happy to sell it to you.

For 75v.... To the best of my knowledge, the lag bolts are no longer failing. I will once again research this when I get back to Kansas on Monday to be sure.
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
Excel Owners Club
Bryan...I figured there must be a good reason for the splice. BTW, I have a 28TRW RT.
Now back to the wall question. I want to make sure I understand the situation. Are you saying that the walls are supported by one upper and one lower set of outriggers? If so, do they each carry approximately half of the weight? Also, if the wall goes down past the floor, are the wall studs lagged to the floor rim joists from the inside?
Thanks again Bryan..we appreciate all your input on this forum.
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #21
Where would one find the suggested chalking maintenance procedures and the type of chalk to be used for the Limited or Classic?
daddystoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #22
daddystoy, Chief

I will be doing a post shortly to the Restoration 101 which will include caulking/sealing as well as the door repair. Photos have been organized, working on the text.

Dicor, self leveling for roof areas. GE Silicone II for everything else.
2000 Alpenlite, 29 ft Valhalla - 2014 F350
Workshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Chris -- I'll try and keep your "Restoration 101" topic from becoming too bogged down with other posts. This will mmake it easier for you to edit/arrange as you add new content.

John & Marilyn Yoder, Sophie & Misha (Bichons)
2008 Vectra 40TD, WIT-151980 FMCA F265880
ChiefJohn is offline   Reply With Quote