Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #1

Heartland RV Club
I just wanted to put out an update on the 2000 Excel I took to the Smith Center, Kansas factory for repairs. On my last post I was needing to repair the exterior doors and slides. The factory offered to repair the doors at cost, so I took it Smith Center.
The repairs ended up being 4,200.00. The things I had done were the following: The rear slides had water damage and had to be rebuilt. The roof was re-caulked. The decals were replaced. Six exterior doors were rebuilt. The front electric jack legs were fixed, and now slide up and down easily. There was an exterior crack found under the bedroom slide, and the siding had to be replaced.
When we arrived Friday to pick it up they went over each repair in detail, and gave me a lot of tips to help keep it in great shape. The previous owner obviously did no up keep on this coach.
Overall a lot was repaired and the Excel factory guys did a great job. The company wrote off 22 hours of labor. We stayed the night at the service center, and left the next day back to Garden City,Kansas.
Jack and his staff at the service center helped us turn a lemon back into a wonderful Excel Classic coach.
Thanks,

Jerome and Kristi Greene
Garden City, Kansas
Summer lake campers: 2002 Crew Cab Duramax, 2000 Excel Classic Triple Slide 33 ft., 2000 X-star Wakeboard Boat, 2 SeaDoo Watercraft.
All this for the 3 beautiful daughters and lovely wife. I enjoy it too!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #2

Heartland RV Club
I just wanted to put out an update on the 2000 Excel I took to the Smith Center, Kansas factory for repairs. On my last post I was needing to repair the exterior doors and slides. The factory offered to repair the doors at cost, so I took it Smith Center.
The repairs ended up being 4,200.00. The things I had done were the following: The rear slides had water damage and had to be rebuilt. The roof was re-caulked. The decals were replaced. Six exterior doors were rebuilt. The front electric jack legs were fixed, and now slide up and down easily. There was an exterior crack found under the bedroom slide, and the siding had to be replaced.
When we arrived Friday to pick it up they went over each repair in detail, and gave me a lot of tips to help keep it in great shape. The previous owner obviously did no up keep on this coach.
Overall a lot was repaired and the Excel factory guys did a great job. The company wrote off 22 hours of labor. We stayed the night at the service center, and left the next day back to Garden City,Kansas.
Jack and his staff at the service center helped us turn a lemon back into a wonderful Excel Classic coach.
Thanks,

Jerome and Kristi Greene
Garden City, Kansas
Summer lake campers: 2002 Crew Cab Duramax, 2000 Excel Classic Triple Slide 33 ft., 2000 X-star Wakeboard Boat, 2 SeaDoo Watercraft.
All this for the 3 beautiful daughters and lovely wife. I enjoy it too!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #3

Jerome glad to here that everything is right with the world now. Was starting to wonder what happen after your first post. Thanks for the follow-up. Hope you enjoy your Excel.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Jerome & Kristi,
Nice to hear that your trip to SC went well and your Excel is now in great shape. The folks at the Service Center are very knowledgeable and the customer service is outstanding! Please keep us advised of your Excel experiences.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Jerome, thanks for the update. In the past recent forum sharing about our slides, the info was invaluable to me. After seeing pictures and reading what others were doing about slide problems, I had mine inspected and sure enough I was getting water damage in the sides and flooring. SC refered me to TRI-AM an Excel Dealer near me in Ocala Fl---I found them to be excellent ( thanks Virgil for recommending them as a top dealer. They are almost and/or as good as SC---very accomodating and customer oriented.OOPs, sorry chief I forget that "Brother Tom" is the only one who has been given special dispensation. Any way Jerome, My damage was found soon enough to only the tune of $1700.00 I was lucky..
did learn the importance of cleaning and caulking the slide roof and seams. Wishing you many years of enjoyable rving with your Excel.

Maverik (bob Cheek)

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #6

Doug did PI pay for your repairs as Jerome states they did for him??<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerome:
Overall a lot was repaired and the Excel factory guys did a great job. The company wrote off 22 hours of labor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug & Pat:
Hi folks, this is our first time posting to this forum.

We currently have a 2002 Excel 33TRO, and love almost everything about it *except* for a serious problem we've had with water leaks. In fact we are now trying to decide if our next unit will be another Excel or not.

In 2004, we found a tiny spot on the interior wall above the living room slide; when touched it seemed slightly spongy. I (Pat) was still working so Doug took it to the factory. Short story is that a huge section of the side wall had to be replaced because of rather severe rot. To the tune of $5,000, ouch. All was well for another two years, then a water leak developed on the opposite side. This happened only in heavy prolonged rains, and then water would run down the interior wall behind the microwave. We were pretty far from the factory, so we had an experienced RV repairman look at it and he could not pinpoint where the water might be coming in. We caulked everything we could think of and no water came in for several months; also we were in dry weather. Well when we were in wet rainy weather with blowing winds - the water started coming in again. We had made an appointment to bring the unit to the factory but before we could get there, decided to have the awning replaced. (Awning oopsie was our error, different story.) When the awning was removed and the screw strip taken off, the repairman (very experienced and excellent reputation), said he thought the water was probably coming in at the horizontal seam.
Is it normal practice to use foam tape on this seam, rather than butyl? There was foam tape and it had not held up well.
Now that seam is sealed and we should not have further water coming in.
But what damage is already there due to moisture getting in the wall? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QUOTE]

2007,30RSO
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #7

Paul
Only thing that Jack did was cut 2k off the bill which dropped it to 5k.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Hi. We had a 2000 rgo 30 classic that had to have paneling around the door replaced after it was only two years old. Until Exel wises up and puts that #$%@ splice in there sidewall like everybody else does " on the bottom of the side wall" you are going to have a leak sooner or later. The only thing that keeps the splice from leaking behind the rain gutter is calk. Just like Excels competiter in Kansas says "when you dont overlap the splice you have a leak as long as the splice sooner or later. If that splice behind the rain gutter was moved to the bottom part of the camper wall where all the doors are they could elimate most of their wall leakage. But what do we know we just have to try and get them fixed.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max1:
brass, do you know for certain they are still doing this as you describe and if they are would butyl tape be a better sealant than caulk? I must say I am a bit concernd with these reports as to the integrity of my own 07 RSO that I saved $$$$ long and hard for, researched extensivly to now hear what sounds to be a potential major design flaw if that is true. Maybe Bryan will weigh in on this so we can find out the story on this seam behind the rain gutter issue. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brassringer:
Until Exel wises up and puts that #$%@ splice in there sidewall like everybody else does " on the bottom of the side wall" you are going to have a leak sooner or later. The only thing that keeps the splice from leaking behind the rain gutter is calk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bryan, Will you address this post concerning the splice mentioned and if one needs to take any extra precautions there to assure it does not leak from that seam?? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2007,30RSO
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Hi again. We were just in SC in Jan. for repairs on our 07 limited, and took the tour again ,and I specifically looked at the limited roof, because I was told by someone at the factory reunion that the roof of the limiteds overlap the sidwalls "not" it is just butted to the top of the sidewall and covered with the rain gutter, and hope the caulk wont ever go south.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #11

I would sure like to get more information on the splice brassringer mentions and or others thoughts on it as well. Also if this roof splice is behind the rain gutters how can one check the caulking and re caulk short of removing the gutters?? Or do we want to just be the perverbiale ostrictch with its head in the sand and just hope "won't happen to my coach?"

2007,30RSO
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
brassringer,

Please explain to us exactly where this splice you are talking about is.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Bob...
The splice they are talking about is located under the awning/gutter rail that runs along the top of your coach.

We have been splicing our glass there since we first started using fiberglass exteriors in 1990 (18 years). While it's true that we have had some issues in that area, virtually every one of them have been due to poor workmanship on our part.

There is nothing inherantly wrong with splicing under the awning rail. We believe it is better than setting the sidewall on the floor and letting the floor of the coach support the entire weight of the coach. Our sidewalls run all the way down to the bottom of the coach and are sitting on the frame structure itself... NOT the floor. Therefore we don't have to wrap the bottom of our sidewall with cheap aluminum.

There are many different theories as to how to build an RV. As long as we do our job right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with splicing our fiberglass under the awning rail. Yes, we do make mistakes, and we're getting MUCH better about staying on top of these issues.

As for your part, when you do your annual sealant maintenance, be sure to inspect along the top side of your awning rail to be sure there is no lost integrity of the sealant. There should be NO sealant on the bottom side of the rail. This is done so that should water intrude underneath the railing, it will have an opportunity to run out.

I appologize to brassringer and those who have had issues in this area. We are monitoring our build process much closer in this area.

Thanks for your input.

Bryan
Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Bryan, I am trying to learn about all the known places to watch so I don't have any more water intrusion. I think everybody knows that these problems are not an Excel exclusive. If you want your RV to last you have to do the maintenance which includes a lot of caulking.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote