Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Experiences With Toy Hauler 5th Wheel Brands

Thanks for checking my post! I did some searching but the posts that would have answered my question were from 2008.

I wanted to reach out and get some information and experiences from those with 5th wheel toy haulers. How has your rig held up mechanically? I recently asked someone with a Fuzion Chrome about his experiences with his rig. He warned that 5th wheel toy hauler build quality is sub par with all brands. Do you agree with this?

He has bad luck with his windows as well. Apparently, since buying his new, he has had to take the rig in to get 7 of his windows refastened. While out camping he has had to duct tape them on so the windows wouldn't fly off going down the road. He mentioned a ton of other small problems but didn't go into detail regarding these problems. Has anyone else experienced any other odd problems like this?

Any other advice for someone looking at used toy haulers? I am looking at 2011 and newer. Thanks!

Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

slightly off topic,

Welcome,
We don't have any experience with owning "asset haulers" just seeing them in CGs.
Just an observation is that there seems a slight tendency to be, should I say, rode hard and put up wet. Nature of the beast I guess. The quad and dirt riders go deep, the snow-mobile haulers often have more rust.
Find a golf cart or Fat-Bob -hauler , lol

Just the other month there was a dazzling all jet black 40'+ Fusion? with a matching F450 passin-through a precision CG we were in. Kind of the H-D motif custom paint job, chrome, billet alloy, diamond tread plate everywhere. They (tail-swung) swiped a fence leaving. Yikes, made me sick!

Best of luck on your search.

MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Had an 08 Cyclone, then a 13 Voltage. Had niggling problems but nothing major. Read a lot of horror stories on the different forums though!

I don't feel they are built with less quality than their siblings from the same manufacturers.

Find the one you like and go for it.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #4

We've a '14 XLR. It's great. The only issues are with the Dometic a/c's and the Dometic fridge...of which neither is the fault of Forest River. We'd purchase it again w/o hesitation.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travels View Post
I wanted to reach out and get some information and experiences from those with 5th wheel toy haulers. How has your rig held up mechanically? I recently asked someone with a Fuzion Chrome about his experiences with his rig. He warned that 5th wheel toy hauler build quality is sub par with all brands. Do you agree with this?
He has bad luck with his windows as well. Apparently, since buying his new, he has had to take the rig in to get 7 of his windows refastened. While out camping he has had to duct tape them on so the windows wouldn't fly off going down the road. He mentioned a ton of other small problems but didn't go into detail regarding these problems. Has anyone else experienced any other odd problems like this?
Any other advice for someone looking at used toy haulers? I am looking at 2011 and newer. Thanks!

Chris,
Why would toy haulers be more problem prone than any other 5th wheel type. For all practical purposes, they are a "normal" 5th wheel with 1/3 less living space. Add a fuel tank and a factory generator.

I don't think they are assembled on a different line.

Any brand of hauler when you get into high options - meaning more "stuff" (not more quality) - more stuff means more likely to fail.

They Fuzion is built by Keystone (owned by Thor industries). Read their BBB feedback. I don't think they build a bad RV, but they basically hold the dealers up as a shield between them and the consumer.

I don't know about the small problems... Did he manage to get the rig "sorted out" - it's 100% normal (unfortunately) to go through a period of sorting a new rig out. With a Keystone, you've got 12 months to do it, subject to dealer availability...

You're buying "used" - so I don't know that I can steer you toward a more quality. If buying new, we could steer you toward a well-warrantied brand or a brand that has great manufacturer support.

I think you can get a great deal on used toy hauler if you can find someone who has taken care of theirs and has gone through the pains of resolving the factory issues...

I don't believe they are more problematic than a "regular" 5th wheel.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:42 AM   #6

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

And yes, I was a bit thrown off guard when the owner of the toy hauler mentioned that it was common in the industry for these types of rigs to have problems. I wanted to post on here and get other opinions before we continued.

I know all too well that every motorhome is going to have its hiccups and problems that need solving.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Just found the thread.
Have a Voltage as listed in sig. Other than a hole in the roofing on one of the slides from the factory, and brake assembly (factory) issues... wait where is the wood to knock on...
Old 06-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

XLR Tunderbolt 415 AMP Toy Hauler

We have had ours out 4X so far, 12 nights or so. We have pulled 1200 miles. Our only major issue was a major grey water leak on trip 1, found a joint not glued at the factory. Rather than wait a month for repair, I fixed it myself and went camping. After the last trip, I noticed one pair of brake wires hanging out of one of the drums. I pulled the hub, the wires must have gotten pinched and both sheared off. I fixed that too and then I checked the other wheels. The backup camera has never worked but I think I will just get it working once I take a close look.
I don't think this is too out of the ordinary for any type of RV. I'm learning the systems and I feel pretty confident about keeping it rolling. I do spend time looking it over after each pull as I clean it up at the campground or back at home.
Have fun but bring a few tools!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #9

The parts of my RV that were made by Forest River XLR have given me good service. FWIW, Forest River's warranty coverage is good only for the parts they make. The parts they buy, i.e., tires, frame, doors, appliances, etc., are warrantied by the manufacturer of the part. The parts I have had trouble with were mostly made by Lippert, INC (ramp door, suspension). Lippert has paid for the repairs I have needed, but there has been considerable downtime when I couldn't use my camper. FWIW, virtually all of the manufacturers use Lippert components.

My story: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lt-108380.html
Old 06-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is true of many manufacturers - they point toward the manufacturer of the equipment (accu-slide, Lippert, Norcol) and tell you to take it up directly.

Not all do it that way. Grand Design doesn't treat their customers that way.

The end responsibility may fall on the manufacturer of these components, but the manufacturers need to service the product that they put together, at least IMHO.

Looks like Andy had some direct factory support - and although he has experience too many problems, at least FR worked with him...
Old 06-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #11

Howdy!

We have a Heartland 2014 Cyclone 4000 we fulltime, we will never buy another Heartland product. Quality control from factory was horrible, warranty work after the same. We had problems with cracks in the tub/shower that we ended up having to take the unit ourself back to Elkhart to have it fixed right. That's not counting the things that need fixing it seems every time we stop regarding trim, paneling etc...

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 06-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

Only toy hauler I could say check out is the Full House DRV. It has a robust infrastructure. Can't say that for the rest. It is not cheap either. But ones gets what one pays for also.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travels View Post
Thanks for checking my post! I did some searching but the posts that would have answered my question were from 2008.

Chris
My first 5th wheel was a 2015 Fuzion Chrome 404 toyhauler, and honestly did not have any major or many minor issues with it. We enjoyed it, just never had a chance to really use the ramp as a patio as we had hoped, because of the majority of campsites we stayed at barely accommodated the 42 foot length, let alone trying to drop the back patio down. The one major concern I had was that the triple axle tires where way to close together for my liking, barely a finger width or two apart. There was rust on the undercarriage and the wooden blinds they used got tangled during traveling. The triple axles did provide some nice braking compared to my new double axle.

And by the way, the backup camera was pretty iffy.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #14

Wink Fuzion 420 . . .

Our '16 Chrome Fuzion 420 has had an issue or two but don't they all? We are happy with the service of the fixes and the unit itself is a high quality IMHO. If you plan to haul in the south (Texas here) I'd recommend 3 AC's for your comfort. But compared to a 40' yacht these land yacht's TH are much easier on the maintenance. We haul a HD and golf clubs in the back and have had great success with site access and amenities. So far we are loving it . . .

lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel