Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Extended Service Plans

Since I have a brand spanking new 5th coming sometime shortly after Christmas, I have been looking into ESP's. I had checked with Wholesale Warranties and got a quote from them for around 2850 for 84 months of coverage. I wanted to see how Good Sam compared. There is no comparison! Good Sam wanted annual payments totaling close to 8 grand for 72 months of similar coverage. Holy crap that is one big difference!

I can get a 10% discount from Wholesale Warranties if I pay it all up front. I do believe this is the ESP I will be buying.

What do any of you think?
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
JDT

I think you have been around this forum long enough to know you will get opinions that go both ways. My personal experience was a love/hate type. I loved it the first time I had a claim and it paid without question. The second claim fostered my hate relationship because they hassled me so much that I finally gave up. This was on a diesel motorhome we owned prior to our current rig.

I don't know anything about the company you mention but my personal opinion is never again. I felt I needed one with all the complex systems on a diesel motorhome but a fifth wheel is not nearly as complicated. I replaced the water pump on the Winslow myself and the dealer did a slide adjustment under warranty. I watched how it was done and if I ever need another one I will do it myself. Most items are components supplied by various manufacturers so parts are usually available. I guess it just depends on your comfort level with doing things yourself.

The other thing to remember is the company that sells the plan has a motive which is to make money. Paying out claims takes away from that so the deck is generally not stacked in your favor.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$2850 is a reasonable price for something without a drive train but you really need to read, re-read and read again the fine print concerning what is covered, what isn't and what steps you must take to get repair work approved. What you also have to consider that since you don't have a power train just how much it could cost to repair or replace high cost items in your rig along with what the expect or anticipated failure rate might be.

My 10 year old class A still has the original fridge, roof ACs, water heater, stove, water pump,,, and has yet to see the inside of an RV service center or power train mechanic. I do my own maintenance and such so an ESP or other such contract would not have been much help but that's just me. If I was a full timer totally different story. CG's kind to frown on doing repair work while your a guest.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Evergreen Owners Club
These are exclusionary plans meaning everything but what they list as not covered is covered. Almost everything including comprehensive damage outside of normal wear and tear items is covered.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

You do realize that the extended warranty you are purchasing does not take effect until after the manufacurer's warranty expires. So that 84 months is really 72 months on a 1 year manufacturers warranty.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
You do realize that the extended warranty you are purchasing does not take effect until after the manufacurer's warranty expires. So that 84 months is really 72 months on a 1 year manufacturers warranty.
Yes, I do understand that. This is the way they present it to a purchaser. So really it is only 6 years not 7.

This also means that the Sam's Club ESP is not really 6 years but 5 and costing 8K is even more ridiculous!
Old 12-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Be aware that lot of shops will not accept your warranty and some dealers will only accept the ones they sell.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
This also means that the Sam's Club ESP is not really 6 years but 5 and costing 8K is even more ridiculous!
You really need to compare apples and apples. Compare exclusionary to exclusionary, etc.

Exclusionary warranties are not what you want to buy... Typically.. Which is why they cost less.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You really need to compare apples and apples. Compare exclusionary to exclusionary, etc.

Exclusionary warranties are not what you want to buy... Typically.. Which is why they cost less.
Now this is exactly the opposite of what I have been told by a party that sells inclusion and exclusion policies. The inclusive policy was priced cheaper and I was specifically told that was because it covered fewer items. I will look deeper into this.

Thx for jogging me into rethinking this.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #10

I don't like them. Too expensive and too many exclusions. My wife made me buy one.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

I think the exclusionary policies are easier to understand--but just look for some statement that says something like "if not stated in the exclusions, it is covered."
Most of the posts I have read are generated by the buyer NOT reading everything, and NOT following strict procedures to have the work performed. And even then, there are lots of companies that thrive on denying claims, at least from reading internet posts about claim problems. Just read the Action Line in Trailer Life...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Now this is exactly the opposite of what I have been told by a party that sells inclusion and exclusion policies. The inclusive policy was priced cheaper and I was specifically told that was because it covered fewer items. I will look deeper into this.

Thx for jogging me into rethinking this.

Sorry, I did post it incorrectly. You want EXCLUSIONARY (everything is covered, but...) not inclusionary. There are simply too many holes with inclusionary.

I had a Ford with an inclusionary warranty. It has a cross member that was loose (rivet, not bolted) - denied coverage because it hadn't failed and "loose" wasn't explicitly covered.

Read all the reviews and BBB complaints - pay attention to the responses to the consumers (not all consumers are reasonable). I might also ask some independent RV techs who they find easy to work with.

I know that one company essentially paid for "reasonable and customary" on parts - meaning the lowest internet-only price they could find. Way below what dealers charged. Same for typical services. So while your AC might be covered, you couldn't get it replaced a the dealer for the covered cost.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #13

Evergreen Owners Club
Thank you for correcting! I feel much better now. Also thanks to Wingnut. It does say if not stated in the exclusions then it is covered. Appreciate you guys responses. The wife wants it for piece of mind too.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #14

I paid around 2500 for the same bumper to bumper for 7 years. In my second year they replaced one of my hydraulic levelers. That alone has put a dent in the $ I spent for the warranty. I still have 5 years left. I cant imagine a few things breaking. At least it is a little peace of mind. Kind of like life insurance and betting against yourself.
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service