Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Extended Warranties

Need some advice on extended warranties on FW , are these warranties any good ? Do they cover everything on rv?
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

You will receive numerous opposite opinions on this question...search previous posts.
I have always maintained an extended warranty on my RVs. I purchased my last two warranties from WholesaleWarranties.com as they sell and service a variety of warranty products, and you get to choose what is best for you. To date, over the last 30 years, the extended warranty has replaced or repaired a transmission, a frig, a microwave, hydraulic jacks, basement air, the digital front panel, and some minor stuff. Did this equal the cost of the warranty...I really don't know, but it did mean that I only had to pay $50 out of pocket for each repair at the time. Once, when a shop tried to charge me for a second repair the warranty company used its influence and records to convince the shop that the repair was the shops responsibility.
Do they cover everything...NO. And you must follow the rules to the letter. You must get prior authorization Before starting any repair. You cannot do the repair yourself, it must be done by a business.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not a fan of extended warranties as a rule. However I think there is a value when buying a used coach. Get a one year warranty as mitigation against unknown and latent issues. At the one year point reevaluate the need to continue with the warranty now that you have experience with the coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

I have billed extended warranty companies, and usually, it is for a lot. So if you use them, they are well worth. If not, then you hardly use it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #5

Every financial analysis of EW show that the majority of the time they are just wasted money. Sure they pay off every once in a while, just like playing the lotto or hitting a jackpot in Vegas, but the odds are that you will not be a winner. It's usually better to save the money and put it into a kitty for repairs.

For an anecdotal story I have owned 6 used RV's, only 1 of them MAY have benefitted from a EW, but even then only a few select EW would have covered the problem.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Every financial analysis of EW show that the majority of the time they are just wasted money. Sure they pay off every once in a while, just like playing the lotto or hitting a jackpot in Vegas, but the odds are that you will not be a winner. It's usually better to save the money and put it into a kitty for repairs.

For an anecdotal story I have owned 6 used RV's, only 1 of them MAY have benefitted from a EW, but even then only a few select EW would have covered the problem.
I believe the above statement is very inaccurate, at least in the sense that it doesn't take into account all of the variables that can be involved. And as much as I have read on this subject, I have yet to see any financial analysis that factors in the variables, in fact I am unaware of any financial analysis that even determines percentages of payouts across the board. So I hope Steven shares his sources.

First, at the end of the day, a service contract is nothing more than insurance, and as such, the companies must make money or they would not stay in business. This means, just like any other insurance, some will have claims paid that are much more than what they paid in premiums, and some will have no claims or much less than what they paid.

But the variables can be very important.

Do you know how and like to do most of your own repairs? If yes, than the service contract is likely not for you. Do you use your RV for a few weeks a year? You will be less likely to have the repairs required vs someone who FT's and uses it 365/24/7.

We have had contracts on our last 3 fivers. We FT, in the course of the year, we will have issues. I do minimal "do it yourself" repairs, its not my expertise, and I don't like it anyway.

So, when we have a repair needed, we usually find a mobile tech. They come to the site, fix the issue and we're on our way. I pay my $50 deductible--over and done. We have always gotten a contract that also pays the service charge the mobile techs usually charge.

We have used Wholesale Warranties the last two contracts, and are very satisfied customers. For less than $300 per year, we are covered for an additional 7 years beyond the first year mfg. warranty. If I have an issue, I pay my $50 and get it fixed. I'm a happy camper. If I never have an issue during those seven subsequent years (now you can talk about the odds LOL) I'm also a happy camper.

Anyway, sorry this got long, but I just find it frustrating when people make blanket statements which do not take into account the variables. The correct answer can be so dependent on ones situation.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

If you are like me, you purchase an extended warranty just to ensure nothing it covers ever goes wrong. Works everytime.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
If you are like me, you purchase an extended warranty just to ensure nothing it covers ever goes wrong. Works everytime.

Awesome - I never thought of that reason before
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

If you don't buy a whole unit warranty, consider a manufacturers warranty for your fridge.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

doesn't apply to all. I just go to Lowes and buy another. We have never bought a warranty. A/C's are 8-900. There is not any real high cost items to fail. Now rot could get high but due maintenance should prevent this. Roof repair/replace is high but would warranty even pay this. Normal wear. Now damaged by limb badly would fall under comprehensive I believe. I really don't see the need.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have recouped almost 4 times what I paid for my 7 year policy. It expires in 2 months and at this point I probably won't buy another. If my Norcold fails I plan to replace it with a residential model and that wouldn't be covered. If I lose an engine or tranny I will be sorry I didn't buy another policy.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have recouped almost 4 times what I paid for my 7 year policy. It expires in 2 months and at this point I probably won't buy another. If my Norcold fails I plan to replace it with a residential model and that wouldn't be covered. If I lose an engine or tranny I will be sorry I didn't buy another policy.
Good point; upgrading. Many times customer's of mine start claims on extended warranties, and it works out well. However, an extended warranty will not pay for "upgrades." It has to be original. That being said, if my customer wants to upgrade, I bill the policy for the original replacement part and said labor if I was to do that job. Then the customer pays any parts/labor over that price.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #13

op asked about fifth wheels. My comment was on 5thers also. Engine and trannys in motorhomes can get $$$$$$$$$.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #14

I typically do not buy extended warranties, but when we bought our trailer, the wife said YES before I could say NO. It paid for itself about 3 1/2 times over its 5 year term.
When it expired, we purchased a warranty with a much larger ($500) deductible. So far, nothing that has gone wrong has come close to exceeding $500.
BobandHoney is offline   Reply With Quote