Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Extended warranty general question

Our dealer sold us a Star/Interstate extended warranty package that sounded pretty good, their Diamond top package. Then when I tried to use it I was told that I would be responsible for paying all the diagnostic labor time. My question is: do any of the extended warranty programs pay for diagnosis of the problem....???
__________________

__________________
wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 14
I have a $100.00 deductible. The warranty covers everything except the walls and tires. Who told you that you were responsible for diagnostics, the repair shop or the warranty administrator?
__________________

__________________
Daryl_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
the warranty administrator and the repair facility
__________________
wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 14
That's bad news; sorry to hear it. I hope it doesn't take them long to diagnose your problem.
__________________
Daryl_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
What extended warranty plan do you have
__________________
wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 14
I'll try to find it tonight when I get home.
__________________
Daryl_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 141
Try to cancel it and get your money back-doesn't sound right to me.
__________________
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Actually I think this is quite common with extended warranties.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bigmichael's Avatar
 
Excel Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Actually I think this is quite common with extended warranties.

Rick
I don't think so. We have had a few extended service plans over the years and never have experienced this. The plans have always covered the diagnosis and repair, I think within an established labor and parts amount book similar to what the auto dealerships use.

So this must be something written in this particular contract, but my experience would be that it is the exception, not the rule. However, it does speak to reading the contract carefully before purchase. Good Luck.
__________________
2013 EXCEL LTD 36RKM
2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
Sir Reginald the Cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
georgetown350's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,603
If after the diagnosis they discover a warranted part needs repairing then the whole bill should be covered less the deductible. If after the diagnosis shows a non covered item then you would be on the hook for the diagnostic. That is how ours works.
__________________
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
I don't think so. We have had a few extended service plans over the years and never have experienced this. The plans have always covered the diagnosis and repair, I think within an established labor and parts amount book similar to what the auto dealerships use.

So this must be something written in this particular contract, but my experience would be that it is the exception, not the rule. However, it does speak to reading the contract carefully before purchase. Good Luck.
Interesting. So you could take your rig in to the shop and tell them that you had a funny feeling "shimmy" while driving down the road and your EW would cover their time in attempting to find a broken part?

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
I'm still within my 3o days and I have 1 or 2 days to cancel the policy. Let me know what you have and if it covers the diagnostic labor time. thanks!
__________________
wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
bigmichael's Avatar
 
Excel Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Interesting. So you could take your rig in to the shop and tell them that you had a funny feeling "shimmy" while driving down the road and your EW would cover their time in attempting to find a broken part?

Rick
I'm not sure what would happen in that case, Rick. We have had service contracts for probably 15 years, and just have never had it come up. Sometimes, of course, its very obvious what is not working. Other times, all I can tell them is "something" has stopped working-it might be the appliance or the part, it might be electrical etc. The service tech then finds the problem, calls the service contract administrator, and fixes the problem.

If in fact it took hours or some extraordinary amount of time to find the problem-the service contract administrator might balk. However, I think if it were me I would probably be looking for a different repair tech rather than thinking the problem were the contract. But I do think these instances would have to be very rare. With the ability to plug in and read codes, engine diagnostics have become fairly quick. I actually remember the days when it could involve replacing one suspect part after another until the right solution was found. Same with electrical appliances and such. Its fairly easy for them to narrow down whether its an electrical problem or the appliance itself.

As to the "shimmy" example, I'm not sure as our contracts have not covered wheels, axels, frames, tires, alignment etc. There is a rider that can usually be purchased for wheels and tires but I have no experience with it.
__________________
2013 EXCEL LTD 36RKM
2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
Sir Reginald the Cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
I'm not sure what would happen in that case, Rick. We have had service contracts for probably 15 years, and just have never had it come up. Sometimes, of course, its very obvious what is not working. Other times, all I can tell them is "something" has stopped working-it might be the appliance or the part, it might be electrical etc. The service tech then finds the problem, calls the service contract administrator, and fixes the problem.

If in fact it took hours or some extraordinary amount of time to find the problem-the service contract administrator might balk. However, I think if it were me I would probably be looking for a different repair tech rather than thinking the problem were the contract. But I do think these instances would have to be very rare. With the ability to plug in and read codes, engine diagnostics have become fairly quick. I actually remember the days when it could involve replacing one suspect part after another until the right solution was found. Same with electrical appliances and such. Its fairly easy for them to narrow down whether its an electrical problem or the appliance itself.

As to the "shimmy" example, I'm not sure as our contracts have not covered wheels, axels, frames, tires, alignment etc. There is a rider that can usually be purchased for wheels and tires but I have no experience with it.
Gotcha. Thanks.

I know the clause is in my contract but it never came up with any of my claims either.

Rick
__________________

__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.