Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #1

Unhappy External Coax Hook Up

Has anyone ever purchased or seen an rv that didn't have an external coax connection for use at an rv park? I recently purchased a 2003 Kit Road Ranger FR235, and there is not an external coax hook up anywhere. My dad was a Kit RV dealer for many years so I am not completely unfamiliar with the brand or rv's in general and I can not remember ever seeing a unit with out one.

I am going to have to install one myself I guess so I can use our dish tail gator satellite system.

Thanks,

dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

I can't comment on your lack of a cable hook up, but will say that in my experience , if your RV has an antenna booster switch and the cable hook up is routed through it , hooking a satellite system through it will result in signal problems. Best to run your own coax direct to the receiver and television.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I can't comment on your lack of a cable hook up, but will say that in my experience , if your RV has an antenna booster switch and the cable hook up is routed through it , hooking a satellite system through it will result in signal problems. Best to run your own coax direct to the receiver and television.
Yes it has the hook ups inside for the roof top antenna, which is ok, I know about the signal problems trying to use that for satellite, but would rather have my tail gator system, so I'll just install a new coax connector for rv park & satellite system use.

Thank you,
Old 12-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In days of old when folks were bold there was no Cable hook up on many trailers,,, or TV for that matter.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #5

That explains why my new 5th wheel has a separate connector by the TV for use with satellite. I have to physically move the TV cable from the antenna booster to the sat. connector. I had wondered why they didn't tie things together. Didn't know the booster switch would cause problems with sats.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #6

As I recall when we purchased our '04 Sportsmen the external connections were an option, so may have the same on yours or not available.
Milt
Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #7

Don't know about now but a few years ago someone sold a flat piece of cable that you could put though a window.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Used to have small trailers without any TV hookups.. Adding them is not at all hard.

If you are adding for the Tailgater be sure to use QUALITY RG-6 Cable

You have two basic choices, through wall or compartment. and several "location" choices.

IF you have a gasser with a cabinet for the Receiver/DVR over the dash then run your cable down the "A" pillar (First non-glass space) get it under the dash and push it through the foam around the steering column or any other existing foamed spot in the firewall, NOTE: DO NOT have an end on the cable (That end at least) yet.

Once you have it in the engine compartment route it to a handy mounting spot (I used the break Bell Crank Bracket) and mount a ground block there (This is a all metal dual coax connector (dual female) with mounting tabs) Bolt it on well and hook to it.

NOTE: I use COMPRESSION fittings when I do coax work, not crimp ons,

This location is weather protected and easy to get to.

For a Diesel Pusher, I would have to look about the front of the RIG. for a mounting point.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #9

This is going to be in a 5er, installing the coax hookup on the inside wall and to the outside is a fairly easy process, it's running the coax from the rear of the 5er where the cabinet for the TV is to the front over the king pin bedroom that is going to be a bit more labor intensive. Thank you for your input.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkiel View Post
This is going to be in a 5er, installing the coax hookup on the inside wall and to the outside is a fairly easy process, it's running the coax from the rear of the 5er where the cabinet for the TV is to the front over the king pin bedroom that is going to be a bit more labor intensive. Thank you for your input.
Do you plan on using two TV's with the Dish tailgater? If I remember correctly the tailgater will only support one TV and cable box if viewing a program.

I have added a new auxiliary port for my Dish tailgater to the bottom floor of the slide out that the entertainment center is in. The Dish box will support the TV with the outside antenna attached to the box. I just switch between inputs on the TV when we want to use the Dish tailgater such as HDMI 1 or 2.

Jim W.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #11

I just split the coax coming from the receiver to the tv and run one to each tv and I have signal from the tailgater to both tv's. Did this in a previously owned DP, it worked quite well. Had to buy a ir remote because the DP was so long the remote control signal didn't reach from the front of the coach to the rear bedroom, but after hooking up the IR remote everything worked just great, I could control the receiver from the rear bedroom no problem. Shouldn't have that problem in the 5er as it's not nearly as long as the DP, but I've got the other controller in case.