Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #57

Newer F150's do have higher tow ratings than in the past but the problem of payload still exists. Just cause you tow 11,100lbs doesn't mean you'll have the payload capacity for the pin. And to SultanGris I would go around the mtns if I were you. We used to tow with a 10 5.4 3.73 maxtow and getting up around 6,000' we lost some power. Could recover when slowing down for corners and needing to accelerate back up to speed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #58

Would like to know what you weigh full of gas and another passenger. What is pin weight, most 1/2 tons are limited to 7000. Would not want to be in your shoes going down hill.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot68 View Post
Would like to know what you weigh full of gas and another passenger. What is pin weight, most 1/2 tons are limited to 7000. Would not want to be in your shoes going down hill.
Going downhill is easy, trailers have brakes, it's going uphill that sucks, Haha!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #60

Trailers have brakes?
HAHA ?
Trailers have marginal brakes,most I wouldn't put on a '72 pinto ,add mountain driving(brakes are already 'toasty') and you have a recipe for brown shorts at best, tragedy possibly.
I always cringe when I hear someone state 'truck stops the truck trailer stops the trailer'.
One thing going for trailer brakes is they dont have brake fluid to boil,I just wish they were big enough to truly stop a trailer not a 2500 # car.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Trailers have brakes?
HAHA ?
Trailers have marginal brakes,most I wouldn't put on a '72 pinto ,add mountain driving(brakes are already 'toasty') and you have a recipe for brown shorts at best, tragedy possibly.
I always cringe when I hear someone state 'truck stops the truck trailer stops the trailer'.
One thing going for trailer brakes is they dont have brake fluid to boil,I just wish they were big enough to truly stop a trailer not a 2500 # car.
Granted i haven't gone down a mountain but i have used the tbc without assisting with truck brakes to see how good they worked and it stops great, even locking up the tires if you mash it all the way. Maybe you should get yours checked out if they aren't working.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Granted i haven't gone down a mountain but i have used the tbc without assisting with truck brakes to see how good they worked and it stops great, even locking up the tires if you mash it all the way.
Do that test comin' down off Chinook Pass here in Washington State and get back to us again...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Granted i haven't gone down a mountain but i have used the tbc without assisting with truck brakes to see how good they worked and it stops great, even locking up the tires if you mash it all the way. Maybe you should get yours checked out if they aren't working.
Oh they work just fine...........the first time ........cold....., heavy traffic ,long down hill,get them warm like Fran said and you will be surprised. they have NO reserve capacity whatsoever.They dont cool down so quik either.
Coming down a grade to a traffic light is when you will find out,make sure your horn works because you will be using it.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #64

That's why having a diesel with an EB is so much better than even a gasser 3/4-1 ton. All these guys towing 8000+lbs with 1/2 tons are really just living on the edge IMO. It's the panic situation that will get you.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post

Oh they work just fine...........the first time ........cold....., heavy traffic ,long down hill,get them warm like Fran said and you will be surprised. they have NO reserve capacity whatsoever.They dont cool down so quik either.
Coming down a grade to a traffic light is when you will find out,make sure your horn works because you will be using it.
Fair enough, you probably know more about trailer brakes than i do. Good thing the f150 has good brakes and an engine/transmission brake!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think what folks are trying to say, Sultangris, is that your half ton is at (possibly beyond, depends on specs) the ragged edge of overtowing with that 10,000 pound gross fiver behind it. Not to mention the little tagalong...

Any time the weight of the trailer exceeds half of the weight of the tug, there are bound to be added concerns about stopping.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I think what folks are trying to say, Sultangris, is that your half ton is at (possibly beyond, depends on package) the ragged edge of overtowing with that 10,000 pound gross fiver behind it. Not to mention the little tagalong...

Any time the weight of the trailer exceeds half of the weight of the tug, there are bound to be concerns about stopping.
Actually its 7300 empty and i don't carry a ton of stuff with me but i get the concept. I don't intend to head to the mountains. I was just pointing out that trailers have brakes too.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
You might be surprised if you weigh your trailer, even bone-empty. "Dry weight" is often underreported by manufacturers! I think it prudent to plan around gross weights, which is where I got the 10,000 pounds from for your fiver (I think it's actually a little higher than that).

Glad to hear you're keeping it as light as possible, though.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
You might be surprised if you weigh your trailer, even bone-empty. "Dry weight" is often underreported by manufacturers! I think it prudent to plan around gross weights, which is where I got the 10,000 pounds from for your fiver (I think it's actually a little higher than that).

Glad to hear you're keeping it as light as possible, though.
Yea I've heard that before too, actually been meaning to weigh it, just got it a couple months ago and haven't had a chance yet. It pulls great even with the ski behind it. Better than i thought it would actually. Contemplating going south this winter, will be avoiding the mountains. Might have a super duty by then also.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Did you get the trailer at the same time as the truck?

And if I may ask about my 'nother "obsessive" towing thing: how are the tires? I'm hoping they're not original...six years would be a long time for O.E. tires on a fiver!