Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
M2D

Fading Front Caps

I happened upon a lot of posts on various forums about colored front caps fading in past year fivers of several brands.

Does anyone here know if this situation has been improved on newer units?
Any 2014 units out there fading?

Also I saw mention of dark colored front caps increasing bedroom temperatures. We always buy white cars because we have dogs and white vehicles seem to stay cooler overall. Of course we also used fans when parked and the porous silvery reflective cloth held on by magnets.

A fancy colored exterior is not high on my list of wants/needs. I would be just as happy to have plain old white with no decals.

I really appreciate all of the advice I have received here. DH is finishing his last day at work today so retirement travels are in the plans.

M2D

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
Makes sense that the dark colors would increase the temps inside. I just kick up the a/c when necessary. The Bay Hill comes in either tan or grey, we liked the gray.

mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

We have a 2014 Eagle Premier that we bought last June and so far our dark brown front nose cap has not started fading. I too was a little concerned, and have been keeping a close eye on it but so far it shines as good as the day we pulled it to our seasonal site.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
M2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
We have a 2014 Eagle Premier that we bought last June and so far our dark brown front nose cap has not started fading. I too was a little concerned, and have been keeping a close eye on it but so far it shines as good as the day we pulled it to our seasonal site.
It is good to know that the industry may have solved the problem. On another list a person with knowledge of the boat business said that boat manufacturers put UV protectants into their fiberglass. They also said that this is why white is so common in boats as it resists the fading better. There is so much reflected light coming off of the water as well as the usual sunlight.

I just hate to think that I might be buying a problem. Many gray fiver caps from recent years have faded and needed to be painted as a remedy.

I read that the various brands of fivers buy their caps from others so it is not limited to one brand of fiver.

Thank you all once more,

M2D
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

Clean your front cap ,then wipe the cap with baby oil with a soft cloth. Once a year do this. It will look brand new and it keeps the bugs from sticking to the cap.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2013 with a dark brown front cap and it isn't fading and it does't make the bedroom hotter.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
IC2

We just took delivery on a 2014 Montana High Country - the front cap had already started to fade and chalk so the dealer had a base coat/clear coat paint job applied at a commercial truck paint shop. I have to say it looks much better with paint and without the mountain decal (my choice to not install)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Evergreen Owners Club
I dont know about the affects on the inside temps but I do know if fading is a concern of yours, look for an rv with a full painted front cap. Most front caps can fade because the gel coat they use to build them. Some manufacturers have gone to full painted caps to overcome this and give a better finish that lasts for years. I know the Bay Hill I am about to take delivery of has the full painted cap on the front. NEVER go with whats called a "high gloss fiberglass" cap, they actually do not have a true gel coat on them and oxidize and fade very quickly. Enjoy!

Chad
Old 04-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

I have a 2013 High Country Cougar. The front cap is showing some fade up high. It's been suggested that I have it clear coated right over the decals. What do you think guys.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
I have a 2013 High Country Cougar. The front cap is showing some fade up high. It's been suggested that I have it clear coated right over the decals. What do you think guys.
You might call a few paint shops and ask for their suggestion.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #11

Fading front cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
We just took delivery on a 2014 Montana High Country - the front cap had already started to fade and chalk so the dealer had a base coat/clear coat paint job applied at a commercial truck paint shop. I have to say it looks much better with paint and without the mountain decal (my choice to not install)
I have a 2013 Dutchmen Denali with a dark gray front cap. The second year it started to fade and chalk. I buffed it out and applied Meguiars (sp) best marine wax and applied 2 or 3 coats. It was starting to fade within 2-3 months. I tried another product for RVs, but it was worse. I just put on the Poli-Glow product. I used their prep products and applied the multiple coats as directed. So far it looks good. I'll have to see how it looks in a few months.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 1986 I had my Silver Anniversary Corvette repainted and cleared over the decals. When I sold it in 2005 it still looked great. If your decals look good I would do it in a minute.

You did not ask about this but I did my (replaced now) 1996 Pace Arrow Motorhome with ZEP floor wax including the decals. I did the decals first (2 light coats) to seal them, then the whole coach. You may wish to try just the decals, mine were badly faded prior. If you do it, the ZEP first coat may carry a little color from decal, so be careful to stay in the decal lines. After the first no problem.

I'm a big fan of the ZEP / Red Max (lot's of threads on here) but to be honest I would now use a good wax on the front cap fiberglass. Easy to touch up, Zep on all the rest, except painted metal panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	92348  
Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

Many RV manufactures in the past few years have been installing gray or brown gelcoat caps on the units...Most of them I have seen that are a couple years old are having this fading or chalking problem...Its about time the industry corrects this...I would be so annoyed if my 2 year old RV did this...
Old 04-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #14

If it hasn't faded yet you might try using the 303 Aerospace liquid; it has a UV protection that will help keep it from fading.
I've used it on my boat and on the rubber RV roof but my previous 5th wheel was aluminum so I didn't use it there. I will try it on this 5th wheel as soon as I can get to it.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303...ace-protectant