Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #1

Hi all did a search and found a few posts on how to fix or deal with Delamination.... Just wondering if any one else has had this problem and what they did to repair.... also how long the repair has been lasting.... I have an area ... Front Pssngr side below the clearance light, that has begun to separate from the inner lining.... not sure if its the fiberglass only or the paneling from the fiber board.... any way thoughts and Ideas are greatly appreciated...

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #2

Hi all did a search and found a few posts on how to fix or deal with Delamination.... Just wondering if any one else has had this problem and what they did to repair.... also how long the repair has been lasting.... I have an area ... Front Pssngr side below the clearance light, that has begun to separate from the inner lining.... not sure if its the fiberglass only or the paneling from the fiber board.... any way thoughts and Ideas are greatly appreciated...

Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #3

.....send a pix and I'll let you know how to do it....geof kaye-used to repair fibergalss boats and other plastic crap
Old 03-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #4

Thank You Very much for the Responce.... I'll Take a couple of shots and see if this is something that can be repaired without the help of a low bridge and good insurance....

Old 03-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #5

K-River Check your PM's...

Old 03-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #6

Frankenstein,

Had delamination on our 5th wheel. The dealer repaired it about 3 years ago when it occurred. Know I'm seeing two large cracks that are appearing from the repair. So far, I've made five calls to the dealer with no positive response. I guess this repair will be on me. Good luck.

Alan
Old 03-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #7

My new trailer is in the dealers shop right now.Delamination in 3 spots around 3 sides.They cant find anyone to fix it.I am not sure yet what they are going to do

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #8

Hi All,
Thanks for the Replies, K-River has been P-Ming me with some suggestions, I am photgraphing most of the process that I am going through to repair this, when I take the time to learn how to post the Pictures I'll put together a little step by step for the process that I used, I know this will not work for all applications but it may be applied to some. fyi... part of the process required me to drill/cut a small hole in the fiber glass to allow for drainedge of moisture that may be pre existing, I drained out close to a full gallon of water.. and have since been able to pull back a large portion of the fiberglsass to inspect the damage, not really too bad...ie the wood is not black... more to follow as I continue to work on this ... waiting for some more dry weather to continue.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #9

http://groups.msn.com/NorthWestPower...to&PhotoID=557 Here is a pic of the rig, the area that was affected was in front of the awning mount, The cause was the lack of sealant on the screw at the end of the gutter. Water would work its way in then during the freeze of this winter would cause the water to expand and push out the Fiber Glass from the wall. I was able to remove the Edge trim and carefully pull back the Fiber Glass to the affected point. Once the area was completely dry I sanded with a 75 grain sand paper. Once smooth I filled any low areas with a glue/sawdust mix, allowed it to dry then applied a healthy coat of Contact cement to the Fiber Glass and the Luan (plywood) Stuck everything back together applied new sealant...As it is raining again I will have to wait before I can fill the small hole that I drilled. For now I will be filling it with flat white model paint until it is flush with the surface.