RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
While the brakes on most newer trucks are strong enough to handle the trucks rated payload or even light to moderate trailer loads, they are not designed to handle the weight of a hevay trailer. That is why trailers over a specific weight are required to have brakes. Do not rely on your truck to stop your trailer!
Indeed, pickup truck brakes are generally intended to handle the truck's GVWR, not its GCWR.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #44

If you have less then about 3 to 400 hundred miles on new brakes you need to burn them in . I had the same problem . I thought the brakes were not installed correctly . But told that it takes a bit to get them functioning properly . Just donít over-adjust your brakes .

jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #45

Adjust the brakes properly. Learn how to do it yourself. Donít rely on someone who may or may not know what theyíre doing. Adjust the brake controller. Iím assuming you know how to set the braking levels. This should be a minor problem to solve. Final alternative is to switch to disc brakes. Trailers would come that way if the companies werenít so cheap and buyers were willing to pay for quality. They are and buyers are cheap.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Theunz, I got my conversion from Bill at Stopyourtrailer for the Cameo back in 2012. We did it ourselves. The hardest part was flaring the brakes lines. Otherwise, if you can pack bearing you can change to disc.
You will LOVE the disc brakes and ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner.
Good luck and safe travels!
I also bought my kit 2 years ago from Bill at stopyourtrailer.com Bill recommended a shop local to me to do the install. He shipped the kit directly to the shop and 2 days later I drove the 5th wheel there. It took the 8 hours to do the installation. The difference in stoping power is night and day.

The complete kit for 2 axles (4 wheels) was about $1400 shipped. I had to pay tax because we are in a Florida where Bills store is. The shop charged $600 labor.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #47

It has been a month--baranski37, where are you? Get the brakes working?

If you haven't already done this--to find out whether the brakes are the problem or the truck/controller/wiring is: pull the e-brake pin and try to move the trailer. If it moves easily, yep, the brakes aren't working. If they lock up, then the problem is not the brakes/adjustment. And don't forget to replace the pin...
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #48

I really don't mind adjusting brakes, but... after a few years of wear, I changed to Dexter self adjusting brakes on my Dexter axles. Changed out the equalizer and shackles while I was at it.
They cost a little more, but not much.
Now brakes adjust automatically and the shackles have grease certs and brass bushings (instead of plastic) to make them last longer.
Minimal cost.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #49
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
.... and the shackles have grease certs and brass bushings (instead of plastic) to make them last longer.
Minimal cost.
Just dpn't assume that those bronze bushings are the full answer to wear. They will still wear out too soon though did last ~2x as long(two sets) vs the nylon even with regular greasing. I'm trying the Lippert Nevr Fail polyamides now but don't have much faith.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #50

Rv for ever

Gentlemen I would like to join this conversation as well. I am experiencing the very same issue with my fifth wheel. After installing all backing plates and shoes ( combination together ) and have the same issue. I did take it to a shop before hitting the road for our 2019 summer travel. I had the shop check all the connections voltage adjustment and all came back up to per the book. Confirming that I hadn't missed anything.

The results are as this other writer experienced. Poor brakes. If I didn't have a truck with the Dura Max and Allision transmission I wouldn't have made the trip.

A side note, I left this year with less weight than any other year.
rv for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv for ever View Post
Gentlemen I would like to join this conversation as well. I am experiencing the very same issue with my fifth wheel. After installing all backing plates and shoes ( combination together ) and have the same issue. I did take it to a shop before hitting the road for our 2019 summer travel. I had the shop check all the connections voltage adjustment and all came back up to per the book. Confirming that I hadn't missed anything.

The results are as this other writer experienced. Poor brakes. If I didn't have a truck with the Dura Max and Allision transmission I wouldn't have made the trip.

A side note, I left this year with less weight than any other year.
So you swapped in loaded backing plates - understood. What did you do with the hub drums? The correct thing to have done would have been to have them turned to provide a fresh bedding surface. The bare minimum, shadetree dressing with emory, is better than nothing but doesn't give you the best preparation to bed the new friction material. After installation, you need to bed the brakes. This is micro-transfer of the friction material comprising the shoe into the pores of the drum. The better the bedding, the better the braking. Bedding trailer brakes is a lost skillset, universally, unless you have a lot of gray hair like me! In short, it consists of building CONTROLLED heat, aggressive braking via manual actuation to near-lock, several times in succession, followed by a CONTROLLED cool down period running down the highway for instance. After this, you will need to manually readjust, even self-adjusting styles.

You also don't mention truck and brake controller specifics, which could also give you perceived poor performance due to inherent programming (some built-ins have set mapping that have really poor low-speed feel), inertia-based controllers are more state-of-the-art, and if your gain is set properly you're never going to attain a comforting seat-of-pants feel.

HTH
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #52

My brakes on our Solitude 390RK-R have no problem locking at about 65 MPH as I found out. BTW, we are about 100# over on the 7K axles.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have Lippert axles and
Lippert brakes, you may not stop! After only 1400 miles on a GD Momenum, my brakes were totally greased and useless. After 50+ years of hauling horses, biat, and RVís, I would never have drum brakes. Disc brakes, like on cars and trucks for many many years, are the only safe way to brake anything!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #54

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Adjust the brakes properly. Learn how to do it yourself. Donít rely on someone who may or may not know what theyíre doing. Adjust the brake controller. Iím assuming you know how to set the braking levels. This should be a minor problem to solve. Final alternative is to switch to disc brakes. Trailers would come that way if the companies werenít so cheap and buyers were willing to pay for quality. They are and buyers are cheap.

I know itís turned into a long post, but brakes were just changed due to other problems August 2019 and I have less than 2000 miles on this set. I do plan to check electrics on each, but since all brakes were worn out at one time Iím thinking they are all getting power.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #55

KZ RV Club
Fifth Brakes insufficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post

If you haven't already done this--to find out whether the brakes are the problem or the truck/controller/wiring is: pull the e-brake pin and try to move the trailer. If it moves easily, yep, the brakes aren't working. If they lock up, then the problem is not the brakes/adjustment. And don't forget to replace the pin...

Wingnut60, I like venting on here and looking for helpful feedback. Iím disabled, but mechanically inclined. Iím at an RV park near previous home DFW through end of January then headed to San Antonio. Was waiting on thanksgiving to finish and temp to raise. I have an old neighbor that helps with many things I have trouble doing after cancer, replaced shoulder no rotator cuff and replaced left hip. Iím only 55 but long term disabled. My wife can do a lot with my instruction.
From the beginning if breakaway was pulled trailer tires did not lock. It does cause it to be a little harder to pull. Purchased in August 2018, in January 2019 after pulling out of a RV Park having to make wide turn pulling out I engaged breakaway and after it felt a little odd I stopped and walked around rig. I was going 8 miles so got on short highway accelerated to 60 and truck shifted into 6th. After 5-6 miles smoke blew from wheels so pulled over. I then realized the breakaway was inadvertently activated so I reinserted breakaway and pulled off highway to let them cool. That I partly blame on me and wrote about here back then. I had a shop in Rogers AR put 4 new back plates on they said drums looked ok? They inadvertently put left brakes on right and right on left as I discovered in route to Nashville. I made a trip back to Rogers and shop fixed everything and paid $480 mobile mechanic fee. They told me they put dexter self adjusting back on this last August. Most recently Iíve noticed having to increase gain and when I pull out of a camp I manually engage brakes and fill them slow truck minimally (driving 5mph). Iím again in the position of feeling the brakes are shot. I had a dr appt today and tomorrow will lift trailer off ground and see if wheels turn with truck brakes activated. If not I will then pull wheels and either replace shoes and magnets or look at a cheap disk kit.
I do know that F350 with exhaust brake has helped greatly and have inadvertently been driving with no trailer brakes for several hundred miles. I drive 65 and very defensively, but with 1 yr old trailer think this is just not right. I know this is long post thanks for reading.
Regards Ron
Old 12-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #56

KZ RV Club
Fifth Brakes insufficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post

Wingnut, my wife is working a 3 week job at Samaritan's purse and took the truck from 3-10, but I just remembered I could use breakaway.

I lifted right side with level up jacks and right wheels spin. I then pulled break away and one wheel was tight the other still spins with some friction. I did the the same on left side and both tires will turn with hand force. I guess that shows that at minimum I need to pull hubs and see what is going on with brakes. Im a former electrician 20+ years ago. What amperage should magnets pull? It appears that just two wires run to each side so I assume they are wired parallel. If I buy new magnets should I still verify aperarage to each magnet?

Will it make a key difference to have drums turned? Iím familiar with local shops like Autozone doing disks. Who turns drums?
Regards,

Ron

PS: really would like to just switch to disk, but not sure I can afford at the moment.

Tags
brake, brakes