Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Fifth Wheel Canoe Mounting

Hi all,

Does anyone have any pics of their mounted canoe/kayak on their fifth wheels?

Looking at purchasing an Old Town Saranac but I obviously can't fit it in the tow vehicle. I would like to bring it with us when we go camping on the Russian river.

My fifth wheel is a Cougar XLite 26RLS and tow vehicle is a Ram Quad Cab long bed with a headache rack.

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #2

I can think of two options: the first being mounting it on the roof of the truck far enough forward to clear the 5-er, the second option is to mount the kayak vertical on the back of the camper using a bumper mount. I saw someone this summer with a rig hauling two kayaks vertical on the back of the trailer. Again the length of the kayaks will be an issue for the overall height.

Chem E 1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

The roof is a pain. I built this. should work for a5'r or a trailer.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I saw one rig with a canoe on the roof of the 5th. I asked him about hosting it up and he said it was a pain but OK?? Another rig I recently saw used two cross bars on the truck roof with the boat pushed forward enough to clear the 5th on turns, but it had dual racket straps from the stern to solid anchors on the truck's bed. It looked kind of strange at first, but seem to travel well. A common solution is use a front hitch and a goal post rig to support the front of the boat while the rear portion rests on standard roof racks. I think I would hate having a post in the front center plus two straps on the corners.
I'm thinking about getting a shorter kayak and mount it vertically in a bracket attached to the rear hitch of my 5th. I have a factory installed rear hitch on the 5th. I would like to keep the top of the kayak below the highest point on the 5th. I could still use my existing truck roof rack system to haul it from a campground to a launch point as needed.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

I like that idea. What did you make it out of and how was it attached? The roof idea scares me due to the fact when I was walking on it this evening, my shoe grabbed the TPO and almost ripped with all the heat we're having here.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
IC2

Years back I carried a 16 foot Old Town Discovery on a 5er - but it was a pretty low trailer by today's standard at about 11 feet. Your Cougar is about 12 feet tall. Add a rack high enough to carry the canoe safely off the roof surface, you will be in the 14 foot +/- range when you take into account the raised bow and stern of the Old Town line . This can be trouble with so many low bridges. A truck mounted rack - front bumper and roof will be about the only way you can safely carry that canoe. Then there is that puny ladder most RV manufacturers love to hang on their offerings
Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

I've carried a canoe and I've carried two kayaks on top of the truck roof with the help of a front mounted carrier and when I bought a crew cab truck I carried them on the roof with no front carrier.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #8

X2 for a front hitch rack. Works fine with my 18' canoe.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaving for Florida.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	134369  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #9

Here is something a put together to handle 2 kayaks, Thule roof rack and front rack attached to the towing hooks in the bumper. Has traveled many windy roads.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #10

Photos to go with the post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	134379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	134380  

Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #11

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. I like the front hitch idea, not sure how much of a pain it would be to load. Will probably end up doing the Thule roof rack. At 14'6", it's a long *ss canoe for a roof mount.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #12

How long is a typical kayak? Any chance with a long bed they'd fit strapped to the sides of the box without interfering with the trailer?
Old 07-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #13

There is no such thing as a typical kayak length. It depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to do tricks in white water, you can get a kayak in the range of 8' to 10'. at the other extreme, art the 18' or longer, sea going kayaks. Pretty much anything in between is available.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #14

I don't have pic, but we used to carry a 16' canoe on our extended cab with just a regular Thule canoe rack. If you have an extended pin box, you can get next to the front of your fifth wheel with no problem. Just keep the canoe in front of the pivot point on your hitch and you should still be able to turn as tight as you want without a problem. Yes it will look like it will hit, but put it up there and find yourself a big gravel parking lot and give it a test drive.