Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #1

Well thought I would ask here what you think, I bought a used prowler lynx 18.5 fifth wheel, and a used Hijacker hitch.

So I have a 77 F-250 Supercab, long box, auto trans.

I have been told instead of centering the hitch over the axle to take it instead 3" ahead of the axle.
And that would be the best position and tow better and with the long box it will work.

What is the opinion of those that have been there and done that, so to speak??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #2

Well thought I would ask here what you think, I bought a used prowler lynx 18.5 fifth wheel, and a used Hijacker hitch.

So I have a 77 F-250 Supercab, long box, auto trans.

I have been told instead of centering the hitch over the axle to take it instead 3" ahead of the axle.
And that would be the best position and tow better and with the long box it will work.

What is the opinion of those that have been there and done that, so to speak??

Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe c/c over the axle is the normal way, if you should decide to move it forward make certain you maintain clearance between the truck cab and the corners of the trailer when turning. I did not take the time to read their manual, here's a link to it that may give you some insight, it may be best to follow their recommendations.

http://www.hijacker.com/pages/installation/manual.htm

Good luck,

BWT do you have any pictures of that "77 F-250 Supercab, long box", they put so much salt on our roads we seldom get to see vehicles that old.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Most hitch manufacturers shoot for a 5th wheel hitch centerline 2"-3" ahead of the rear axle centerline. Directly over the rear axle is OK if you must, but I wouldn't go behind the rear axle.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #5

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...an/77F-250.jpg

Hope this works, thanks for the advice, I think I will see if the 3" ahead of axle will work.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #6

Well happened to check the carriage bolts I ordered from a local jobber and instead of grade five they sold me grade two bolts.

These were meant for mounting the rails to the bed of the truck going to the brackets on the frame, so I don't think these will take the stress, so now have to find someone that can get the grade five.
good thing I checked.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:04 AM   #7

Okay, nother question, I tried the fifth wheel hitch in my long box super cab and if I start at 32 inches from the back of the box to the middle of the rear rail going across the box to square it up, I end up about even with the center of the axle, so thought I would move it up 3 inches ahead of axle, but I find the bolt will hit right where the square tubing under the box is and the shock towers.
So do I dare move it more towards the front or should I back it up to the axle area???
Old 07-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #8

I just got done installing a hitch (Reese) and they are very clear in saying that it should be centered 1" in front of the rear axel centerline. My hitch was engineered to use holes already in the truck frame, so using them put my hitch in the correct position. THERE was an adjustment in the hitch itself, that can move the fifth wheel part to the rear one inch, but Reese does not recommend that position. Hope that helps you some.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 AM   #9

By the way, the bolts you should use with your hitch should be class 8 or better. the should have (5) little bumps on the surface of the bolt head. Yes, five = eight.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies.
I read some literature and they said grade five, but I have access to grade eight, so I did in fact use them.
But for the carriage bolts I had to get grade five, but that is in keeping with what the manufacturer specifies to use.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #11

I can only speak of the Reese website, but you should check it out anyway. They have a chart that specifies the exact location of their fifth wheel hitch for each make/model of truck. Not all are the same! Perhaps Hitchhiker has a similar chart.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #12

Well for better or worse, the hitch is bolted in.
Now for the wiring.