Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Fifth wheel hitch threads

Remember reading about members trying to prevent their B&W companion hitches from bending their beds by putting longer angle iron under the hitch to spread out the load on the bed of their trucks. I tried to search those threads for arguments about another new hitch design called the Anderson Ultimate hitch. If anyone can help me find those threads that were on here several years ago I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Kevinc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

They b&w have a new hitch with just that.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to a bunch of previous threads which may help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=B%26...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

I have the Andersen hitch for almost a year now and love it.
When you go to Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum and type "Andersen 5th wheel hitch" in the Google search bar on the top left it shows you links to reviews and comparisons between the Andersen and the B&W Companion. This forum was the go to place when the 2013 RAM with 5th wheel and GN prep. package was released and not a single 5th wheel hitch was available anywhere except the B&W Companion for lighter weight trailers and the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch up to 24000#. Also Andersen has a few few informative videos on their website including a very impressive crush test.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

I read all of the pro anderson posts and I still have RESERVATIONS. Where are the chains as required by LAW! That thing is a fancy ball mount that they are calling a Fifth Wheel Hitch. NC laws require drag chains on ALL BALL TYPE HITCHES. A DMV field officer can take one look at that hitch, and by the LEGAL DEFINITIONS shut you down, meaning you do not tow this unit away from the scene , before you comply with the chain law.

Second thought, what if you break down and another truck must tow your camper back. How are you going to BEAT that adapter off of the camper hitch so that a conventional fifth wheel equipped tow truck can pull your camper in for you? The one person that posted all of the positive comments said that he had to beat the adapter onto his camper hitch!

I hope that nothing like this ever happens, but I have my reservations. Mr MURPHY always jumps up when you least expect him to!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

You are raising some valid points, chains are required in some jurisdictions not in others, some require chains in commercial applications not in personal. To play it safe Andersen as well as most trailer dealers sell appropriate chains, you have to connect the brake cable anyway - hooking in the chains is nothing.
You are right, the Andersen Ultimate Hitch is just a fancy gooseneck hitch but it is elevated so that it does not change the physics of the pinbox and trailer frame and does not void the trailer warranty and since it is a ball hitch side to side twisting and bending is not an issue.
For emergency towing all you need is two 7/8" wrenches and everything is back to where it was within two minutes - i did it. What I really like about the Andersen is it only weighs 75# and is super strong.
This might read like I'm advertising for Andersen but I have no connections to the company, but I do like their hitch.

John