Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Fifth wheel hitch with Mor Ryde pin box

hello

we finally figured out what fifth wheel we are buying, so now my question is what fifth wheel hitch will work best for my short bed truck and mor ryde pin box. I've look at all the fifth wheel hitches, i'm just not sure witch one to buy, so please give me a hand.

thanks

2016 ford f350 6.7 cc short box

2019 coluimbus 366rl
jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

Lots of threads to search on this forum discussing hitches, long bed, short bed, gooseneck ball connected hitches, rail mount, factory puck...etc.

Does your truck have the factory 5th wheel GN system?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #3

yeah no factory hardware in my truck
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

I see the Columbus has a rounded front cap. You will have to make the determination as to whether a slider is needed. With a 101" wide trailer, I'm guessing yes for peace of mind sake in certain situations. The MorRyde pin box is great for fore/aft chucking forces but not so much for bouncing forces. You have nice new gear, you may want a hitch that will protect truck and trailer. I would take another look at the Blue Ox Super Glide. It has rubber springs for the bouncing forces and can be articulated for extra clearance if needed. It's too bad Trailer Saver doesn't have a sliding air hitch. There are plenty of quality options if you want to hook your trailer solidly to your truck. Enjoy that nice new trailer.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

What's the front cap on trailer look like?.......Newer ones are rounded off on front corners, so you might not need a slider style.....but if you do go with one, an auto slider is the way to go.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

front cap is rounded
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #7

Pullrite superglide on my rig, brother-in-law and cousins rigs as well. We all like the superglide except for one thing. They are heavy! Not recommended for one person to lift.
I rigged up an ATV winch in my garage to lift it out. Problem solved!

RoadrunnerII
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #8

I will recommend to you the Reese Goosebox along with the B&W Turnover gooseneck hitch. This would require your dealer swapping out the MorRyde pin box for the Goosebox (this is all contingent upon weather your trailer can accommodate the Goosebox).

The Goosebox incorporates an air bag and 2 shocks providing a very comfortable tow. The B&W GN hitch utilizes a square shank allowing for a variety of adapters. In addition to the traditional 2 5/16 GN Ball B&W makes an offset ball adapter for this hitch that moves the ball 4" rearward in the bed providing greater cab clearance if desired.

If you go this route all you have in the bed of your truck is the GN ball (or adapter if chosen) when you uncouple. The majority of the weight associated with 5th wheel towing stays with the trailer. Nothing but "win-win" with this combo! I know this may seem like a lot of switching around but if the dealer will swap it out you will find relatively little cost in going this route with great upside.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #9

IMO, a MorRyde pinbox is barely adequate on today's 5th wheel trailers. A Reese Goosebox or Trailair type pinbox with the air bags is the way to go.
Now, with no hardware in the truck bed I would suggest a B&W turnover ball in combination with either a B&W Companion or Andersen Ultimate. The Goosebox would eliminate a hitch completely.

From what I see and hear from owners of short box trucks is pretty much 50:50, half say a slider is necessary/nice to have just in case/I never had to engage the slider yet or half that say "it's not worth the hassle/too heavy/too expensive".

IMO with a curved front trailer, if you need to turn so sharp that a slider is necessary you're turning to tight (jackknifing) anyways.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
IMO, a MorRyde pinbox is barely adequate on today's 5th wheel trailers. A Reese Goosebox or Trailair type pinbox with the air bags is the way to go.
Now, with no hardware in the truck bed I would suggest a B&W turnover ball in combination with either a B&W Companion or Andersen Ultimate. The Goosebox would eliminate a hitch completely.

From what I see and hear from owners of short box trucks is pretty much 50:50, half say a slider is necessary/nice to have just in case/I never had to engage the slider yet or half that say "it's not worth the hassle/too heavy/too expensive".

IMO with a curved front trailer, if you need to turn so sharp that a slider is necessary you're turning to tight (jackknifing) anyways.
Lots of us use the MorRyde, including me.
Care to share your reason for your opinion? Do you have some bad experience with these?
Not wanting to start a war...just info.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Lots of us use the MorRyde, including me.
Care to share your reason for your opinion? Do you have some bad experience with these?
Not wanting to start a war...just info.

I understand.

We had 2 trailers with a MorRyde pinbox, the rubber bushings absorb some of the fore/aft forces, not the vertical bounce plus rubber is relatively hard compared to air bags.

We are now on our 2nd trailer with a Trailair pinbox, and I'm sure the smooth ride is because of the air bags. It feels like the fore/aft and vertical forces are being transferred and absorbed down into the air bags - if that makes sense. When watching the pinbox in the rear view mirror it appears to be floating on an air cushion, which it is.

I will try and record a short video next time and post it, if I don't forget.
Btw.: I'm pretty sure most air ride pinboxes and 5th wheel hitches function in a similar way.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #12

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post

From what I see and hear from owners of short box trucks is pretty much 50:50, half say a slider is necessary/nice to have just in case/I never had to engage the slider yet or half that say "it's not worth the hassle/too heavy/too expensive"

Cypressloser

how do you like your andersen ultimate? on all the forums it's 50/50 on the reviews of people liking the andersen. i'm leaning towards the andersen and the b&w turn over GN ball, and maybe the B&W 4" offset adaptor as well, do you know anyone running that set up with a crew cab short box?

2016 ford f350 6.7 crew cab short box
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrms88 View Post
Cypressloser

how do you like your andersen ultimate? on all the forums it's 50/50 on the reviews of people liking the andersen. i'm leaning towards the andersen and the b&w turn over GN ball, and maybe the B&W 4" offset adaptor as well, do you know anyone running that set up with a crew cab short box?

2016 ford f350 6.7 crew cab short box

I towed 19,000 lbs with the Andersen for 5 solid years. I traded the truck in the signature a few months ago for a 5500 and had to change the hitch to a low profile, small footprint B&W. Andersen does build a low profile hitch but it is unfortunately limited to 20,000 lbs tow rating.
Having said this, now I can talk about both the Andersen and the B&W companion.

My Andersen was the steel version from 2012/2013 before there was any 5th wheel hitch on the market that fit the Ram gooseneck/5th wheel factory prep setup and the Andersen was the only one at that time that could be installed on a gooseneck ball and had the capacity I needed. In the 5 years I owned the hitch I never had any issues, no chucking, jerking or what ever - zero!!! and would buy one again in a heartbeat. The ball can be height adjusted in 1 1/2" increments over a range of 3 inches.

Some owners complain they can't view the hitch when backing up, but I got around this inconvenience by placing a pencil magnet right in front of the ball, works every time and my hitch didn't even have the wide cup the newer style hitches come with. Some complain it has a to large of a footprint, but I argue it is easy to slide longer items through the hitch frame where other hitches block this space.

Hitch install and removal is a snap, 2 minutes at the most.

The one drawback is that the coupler drops onto the ball from the top down, which means the front of the trailer has to be raised 3" - 4", similar to a bumper pull. I haven't had a problem with this since I always use 3" or 6" pads under the jacks anyways and never run the risk of overextending the jacks.

I can't see why the B&W offset ball wouldn't work (B&W is one of the most reputable companies in the industry), however it could transfer slightly more pin weight on to truck's the rear axle - I'm no engineer, so let's leave it at that.

I'm using a B&W companion for the above stated reason now and must say I'm equally impressed, still can't see the hitch from the driver's seat but the back up camera takes care of that and I don't have to raise the pinbox anymore to connect the trailer. The jaws hug the kingpin snugly all the way around, similar to the Andersen.
Both hitches need to be torqued down to 60 lbs, which some claim is a drawback for the Andersen but don't see it as a problem for other hitches .

Over all, the B&W costs 50% more up front and weighs twice as much as the Andersen but can be split into bottom and top half so weight wise it's awash IMO.
In a nutshell, one could go for aesthetics and the B&W wins or cost where the Andersen wins, toss a coin or throw the dice - both are equally solid built.

IMO, only listen to advice from people that actually own the hitch they're badmouthing.

Now I go and change my sig.

Tags
fifth wheel