Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
I got the aluminum one and as you age,the difference in weight will be appreciated everytime you take out or put back in.Its like 32lbs or so.

With the Anderson Hitch all set up in the truck, does the top ball doesn't stick up above the bedrails does it? I am hoping when I am done towing to just roll my tonneau cover over it until time to head back home...

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
With the Anderson Hitch all set up in the truck, does the top ball doesn't stick up above the bedrails does it? I am hoping when I am done towing to just roll my tonneau cover over it until time to head back home...
3 hieght settings

Old 08-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #45

I have mine at the highest setting, it measures ~18 1/2" from the truck bed, plenty of room for most covers.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #46

Anderson Hitch Question...

It seems this setup - ball only direct to pin - would be very prone to chucking and other rough road transfer to the truck. Is this true? Do you have an air ride pin box to lessen the jolt? Do you need one?
grashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grashley View Post

It seems this setup - ball only direct to pin - would be very prone to chucking and other rough road transfer to the truck. Is this true? Do you have an air ride pin box to lessen the jolt? Do you need one?
Quite the opposite, the socket (the piece mounted to the pinbox) hugs the ball from all sites, there is zero play horizontally and vertically, compare it to your hip or your shoulder joint.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by grashley View Post

Smooth.i don't want another regular 5er hitch ,its just that good.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 PM   #49

I never had a regular hitch, but the road I used to live on before we went full time was the roughest, bumpiest, one lane dirt road you can imagine. The truck would drive down it perfectly smoothly and you would look back and the trailer was bouncing around like nuts, but it rotated around the ball so smoothly it wasn't transferring that to the truck at all.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #50

Got a Hensly trl saver. Smoothest hitch for your trl expensive but worth it.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
X2

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post

Agree, expensive but it's the best in my opinion if you want to smooth out the ride. You can find them used at great prices if you get lucky. Someone just posted they were trying to sell theirs, not sure where they were located. I gave $900 for mine, looked brand new, has the built in air compressor and the Blue Ox bed saver attached to it. I did have to buy the Ford adapter plate and a different spacer.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #53

I also had a Reese 16k with a lightweight trailer and 1500 GMC. I sold as a unit and bought a 38' Big Country (15000#) and a 2500 GMC short box diesel. I was torn between another Reese and a 20k Curtis. I bought the Curtis because it was cheaper. It is much superior to the Reese. We always had issues connecting and disconnedting unless everything was perfect. With the Curtis I just lift the latch ring and pull lever to disconnect. To connect I set hitch to latch position, back in until it clicks and it is connected. The chucking when starting ans stopping is also gone. We are almost finished a 30 day road trip and we comment everytime about how easy it is. I bought the slider hitch, but my RV is made with the 86* front end so have never used the slider( had my wife make sharp turns while I watched)). Iwas also at the Heartland Rally in Goshen in June and had my rig combination weighed and analized. The report came back with a 2000 lb GCVWR cushion. I have pulled this RV about 5000 miles including through the mountains and switch backs in Arizona and am very happy and confident with my choices. I also had a 6 point level up system installed at Goshen. Should be able to give it 6 stars
Old 09-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknel View Post
I also had a Reese 16k with a lightweight trailer and 1500 GMC. I sold as a unit and bought a 38' Big Country (15000#) and a 2500 GMC short box diesel. I was torn between another Reese and a 20k Curtis. I bought the Curtis because it was cheaper. It is much superior to the Reese. We always had issues connecting and disconnedting unless everything was perfect. With the Curtis I just lift the latch ring and pull lever to disconnect. To connect I set hitch to latch position, back in until it clicks and it is connected. The chucking when starting ans stopping is also gone. We are almost finished a 30 day road trip and we comment everytime about how easy it is. I bought the slider hitch, but my RV is made with the 86* front end so have never used the slider( had my wife make sharp turns while I watched)). Iwas also at the Heartland Rally in Goshen in June and had my rig combination weighed and analized. The report came back with a 2000 lb GCVWR cushion. I have pulled this RV about 5000 miles including through the mountains and switch backs in Arizona and am very happy and confident with my choices. I also had a 6 point level up system installed at Goshen. Should be able to give it 6 stars
More important number is what was your rear axle weight? That's the number everyone either wants to ignore or don't understand it's importance.

Just a FYI, it's "CURT" and what you were experiencing with the Reese is just plain ol slop, "clunking".
Old 09-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #55

Fifth Wheel Hitches

The weight on the rear axle increased by 2750 lbs when the trailer was connected. This is almost 1000 lbs below max plus the manufacturer already has a safety cushion built into their specs. This is mandated by law on all makes of trucks. Don't worry, I'm a mechanical guy who used to pull work trailers behind pickup trucks fo a living. I see newly retired people pulling their new 28' lightweight trailer behind their new 3500 dually. Coming from their office they weren't sure.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #56

I have the Andersen Alum set at its lowest setting and cover goes over fine. I've also had it at the highest no prob. I replaced my std turnover ball with a Curt offset ball to move the hitch 4" toward the tailgate of my 6.6 Ft bed. Then I reversed the Andersen kingpin coupler so the ball attaches behind the kingpin. This moves the trailer 8" towards the cab. The net effect is that the trailer rides 4" forward of the rear axle and my entire pinbox now pivots within the bed. Best ride ever!

2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote