Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
nning 235/85/16's which is an aftermarket setup. They come with 235/80/16s from the factory. Yes, there has been a few folks that hit there underside, but I only have one mark from the tire and I believe it is from rolling on/off a curb. I have seen a few posts on the GD forum where owners have added opposing lift blocks to compensate for the left/right weight difference.
I'm running 235/85's also, but you can get Sailun's in 235/80 - which is what I should have done. I'm within about 2-2.5" of hitting the tire to the deck, so now I'm dropping a solid $300-$400 to lift the RV up 1".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #16
P5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I'm running 235/85's also, but you can get Sailun's in 235/80 - which is what I should have done. I'm within about 2-2.5" of hitting the tire to the deck, so now I'm dropping a solid $300-$400 to lift the RV up 1".
I didn't mention this earlier because it wasn't part of the OP but if you look back at my picture you may notice the aluminum axle blocks I added for the same reason. I got my inch. Check www.trailerblocks.com

Oops, wrong thread. The picture I'm referring to was on a thread about disc brakes but I did add the axle blocks and would be happy to post some pictures if it is helpful. Sorry

Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #17

Another option

I have only seen the discussion between Grand Design and Keystone but I would like to propose a different option. We bought a 2016 Open Range LF319RLS in May of 2015 and we could not be happier. We looked at what seemed like HUNDREDS of 5th wheels (OK, maybe I overstated a LITTLE bit!) but we kept coming back to the Open Range. ( The company is now known as Highland Ridge!) We got what we feel like is a very well-built unit for the money and we towed it for the first year with a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd pickup.It handled to rig just fine so I would imagine that a newer 3/4 ton pickup would have no trouble with it. We also have a great dealer here in Memphis who has been very responsive to our needs. With any new unit, there are bound to be some bugs to be worked out and our dealer has handled them all promptly, even coming to our house once when a slide motor gearbox failed with the living room slide out while parked in our driveway.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #18

I know it hasn't been mentioned, but we simply couldn't find a better built or equipped Fifth wheel in the $55-80k MSRP range (or $35-60k purchase price range) than the Coachmen Chaparral or Brookstone line. They all come standard with Dexter Axles that are overrated for the application. Azdel composite sides (waterproof and does not delaminate) vs Luan which is used in pretty much all RVs. They use higher quality switches, higher grade insulation in the roof and floor. I believe the Chaparral has R48 in the roof and R36 in the floor. Plus the interiors are very well laid out. Options always include Auto Level as well as Dual Pane windows.

I'd highly suggest looking at the Coachmen lineup.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmn72 View Post
I have only seen the discussion between Grand Design and Keystone but I would like to propose a different option. We bought a 2016 Open Range LF319RLS in May of 2015 and we could not be happier. We looked at what seemed like HUNDREDS of 5th wheels (OK, maybe I overstated a LITTLE bit!) but we kept coming back to the Open Range. ( The company is now known as Highland Ridge!) We got what we feel like is a very well-built unit for the money and we towed it for the first year with a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd pickup.It handled to rig just fine so I would imagine that a newer 3/4 ton pickup would have no trouble with it. We also have a great dealer here in Memphis who has been very responsive to our needs. With any new unit, there are bound to be some bugs to be worked out and our dealer has handled them all promptly, even coming to our house once when a slide motor gearbox failed with the living room slide out while parked in our driveway.
They just came out with a couple new floorplans as well.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5W View Post
I didn't mention this earlier because it wasn't part of the OP but if you look back at my picture you may notice the aluminum axle blocks I added for the same reason. I got my inch. Check www.trailerblocks.com
y
I'm probably going to use the same 1" Aluminum blocks. The're pretty darn expensive at $44/each. I won't be adding his U-bolts. Specs on my axle call for 1/2" U-bolts and I'm going to upgrade to 9/16. He's getting another $100 for 4 U-bolts and 2 tie plates.. He does use grade 8 U-bolts which are hard to find.

I would have saved myself $300 + a few hours having bought the Sailun 235/80s..
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #21

We have a 2015 keystone Fuzion chrome toy hauler and haven't had many issues and it is one of the higher end units keystone makes. I looked at gd also, but they didn't offer a 12ft garage in a weight I was comfortable with for my 3500srw...if they had, I would of went gd as I feel their quality and customer service is above keystone