Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #1

Fifth wheel tire pressure recommendations

I had to get new tires for the fifth wheel and they installed E rated instead of the D rated from factory. Should I use the same tire pressure rating posted on the RV (65psi) or do I need to adjust. The Weight rating on the unit is 2270 lbs per wheel.
Rvmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #2

You need to call the tire installer and have them look up on their tire chart to see what psi to run the for the load rating.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvmagoo View Post
I had to get new tires for the fifth wheel and they installed E rated instead of the D rated from factory. Should I use the same tire pressure rating posted on the RV (65psi) or do I need to adjust. The Weight rating on the unit is 2270 lbs per wheel.
The tire manufacturer publishes a chart that will tell you what pressures to use based on your weights.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

Tire pressure

I tried that but do not give anything for RV tires. I have Duro tires and when I went on the Goodyear site it gives no reference to a st22575r15e tire. Thanks for your info though.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
I tried that but do not give anything for RV tires. I have Duro tires and when I went on the Goodyear site it gives no reference to a st22575r15e tire. Thanks for your info though.
Is it because Goodyear doesn't make Duro tires?

Duro tires click About Us

Duro list of trailer tires. http://www.durotire.com/tires/tabid/...7/default.aspx
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Read the tire's label. For an E rating, I'd expect the max. would be 80 psi, but as light as your trailer is, you could probably do 70.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

PSI for max load is imprinted on the side of the tire. Inflate to that pressure.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #8

Or you can use my made spreadsheet for it.
then in lack of seperate weighed wheel-loads , or axle-loads, we will have to do with the GAWR ( gross axle weight rating) . How did you determine that 2270 per wheel?

From tires the maximum load or loadindex and the needed pressure for that wich is not even the maximum pressure of tire, as most think.
For E load its 80 psi , so only need the maximum load or sise of tires .
Oh wait I saw your sises and ST already and googled them , found on Amazon Maxis tire and LI 117 most likely also go for your tires and that is 2833 lbs.
Then asuming that 2270 is your GAWR /4 I can fill in the spreadsheet.
But if not correct data , give them and I will correct it.
So GAWR 9080 Lmax/tire 2833AT 80 psi. gives needed pressure of 71 psi in my calculator.
But to give a ST tire the same deflection of a LT tire with same sises, wich make them last longer, and chanche on tire failure by only driving practically zero, you should substract 6 LI steps so 111 loadindex with only 2404lbs a tire.
Then the advice-pressure rises to even 85psi wich is above that 80 psi but allowed by TRA up to 10 psi higher.
This would give the tires maximum savety, and makes me suspect that the tire-chanche was because of tire failure with the D-loads.
My system gives even poor reserve for the E-loads and a reduced speed for that reason of 60m/h but that is even going from normal 87m/h , but mayby I am a little to hard in my yudgement.

So keep them at 85 psi if all the data used is correct and your tires might even last 6 years, and still no screws that shutter loose from the woodwork.

Then for my learning give the maximum tonge weight of a 5th wheeler for law.
For travel trailers its 15% and minimum 10 % , I already learned.
I had set it on zero in the picture , because I did not know.
Also confirm if you had many tire failures with the D-load.
I asume your valves are up to that higher pressure , and also the rimms have a maximum mostly.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Tire model # and size? What are your actual weights? Once you know this information, look up pressures on their website.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Use the tire pressure on the sidewall of the tires not the tire pressure rating posted on the RV . Running tires over or under inflated cause excessive heat which damages the tire. It is always best to follow the tire manufacturers advice. If the tire blows because you followed forum personal opinions and not manufacturers advice then the tire will not be covered under the warranty and the person providing the personal opinion will not cover the tire.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #11

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Use the tire pressure on the sidewall of the tires not the tire pressure rating posted on the RV . Running tires over or under inflated cause excessive heat which damages the tire. It is always best to follow the tire manufacturers advice. If the tire blows because you followed forum personal opinions and not manufacturers advice then the tire will not be covered under the warranty and the person providing the personal opinion will not cover the tire.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #12

The unit weight is 9500 lbs, but they not give me hitch weight, tire rating 2880@80psi. Only other info is 5000lbs per axle @ tire size 225/R7515 D rated @ 65psi. Max cargo weight 1441 lbs. will this help with your calculation using the e rated tires. I had no problems with the d rated other than they were weathered and starting to separate so was advised to change before we get a blowout. Your help is greatly appreciated as am a senior on the road.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #13

I pump mine up to what I think feels good, then hit the road - after 5 - 10 miles I stop and check the temp of the tires...if hot I give some more air, until they run cool.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The unit weight is 9500 lbs, but they not give me hitch weight, tire rating 2880@80psi. Only other info is 5000lbs per axle @ tire size 225/R7515 D rated @ 65psi. Max cargo weight 1441 lbs. will this help with your calculation using the e rated tires. I had no problems with the d rated other than they were weathered and starting to separate so was advised to change before we get a blowout. Your help is greatly appreciated as am a senior on the road.
You can do what you want but the only SAFE way is to take your loaded rig to a truck scale and weigh it. Then inflate to what the manufacturer suggests for the heavier side on both sides of the axle. There is a lot of good info on this forum. Just search tire pressures, etc.

By the way, ST tires, if that is what you are running, are rated for 65 MPH-max.

Tags
tire pressure